Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Aligning a plane to another poly [help request]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 00:14
As the title suggests, I am having a little bit of trouble aligning a plane to another poly.

Currently, I'm ray casting to find the normals of a wall I'm looking at, and applying a couple of trig commands to attempt to lie the plane flush with the wall.

Currently, to get Y angle, I use atan(xnorm/znorm), x is variant based on the outcome of Y, and Z I am forced (at this moment) to leave as 0.

I was wondering if any experienced users could help me with aligning. Ideally, I would go for a generic formula (regardless of size) to handle any direction if possible.

Naturally, since I'm posting here I have DarkPhysics so its all fine using any of those commands. But if the need arises, I have also got DarkAI and EZ_Rotate, if those are required with any commands.
And, since this *needs* to be done, if it requires me buying another plugin for other commands, it will be bought.

Cheers
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 00:20
Let me guess - you are trying to put decals on the wall to represent bullet holes or something like that?

From memory EZrotate has something that helps here - have a look at its ezro_polyalign command set.

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
"I highly recommend Philip" (Philip)
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 00:27
haha, good guess, but wrong . Right sort of situation though.

You can't begin to imagine just how noobish I feel right this second, I did not once think to look for help under bullet hole (since its the same idea) placement.

All the same, thanks a bunch .

I now appoint you my personal codemonkey to help at my beckoning call.
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 01:23
Philip, so since you mentioned bullet holes you got me thinking differently to how I have been the last week or 2.

Bullet holes were something I conquered years ago. And as such, its now all working fine.

So this is a thankyou for reminding me of how to think as I was not. And if ever we bump into one another, consider a pint bought
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 01:58 Edited at: 20th Mar 2007 01:58
Quote: "I now appoint you my personal codemonkey to help at my beckoning call. "

I am a cartoon bear. Who are you calling a monkey?

Quote: "And if ever we bump into one another, consider a pint bought "

Thanks. Come to the next DBPro Convention. I always try to attend them. You can buy me my pint then.

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
"I highly recommend Philip" (Philip)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 00:04:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 00:04:35