Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / [LOCKED] FPS Creator X10 Work in progress shots

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 13:52 Edited at: 28th Mar 2007 15:29
Quote: "looks ok
whats with all the water tho?
is the water like a box or is it like a top layer like fpsc or what?
sorry if its be said
"

Read the first page. Lee says clearly:

Quote: "
FPSCX10 will allow you to set a water level you can then change this using FPIs! ---

Yes, they [objects] float if they are light and sink if heavy. Other objects can push them around too.

---and yes there is a splash sound and effects!
"

One new question: Can we expect to have any sort of options-mode, so that we could lower/raise the graphical settings, change controls etc, possibly in-game? Things like anti-aliasing, texture-filthering and resolution have always been the performance killers, which is why I was hoping to have way to change them in DX9 version.
Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 14:44
Nice! Will there be water splashes when you shoot it?
And what program you've used to make the video (both recording & editing)

Make games, not war.

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 15:03 Edited at: 28th Mar 2007 15:04
question...

the water... so far, from all the pics i've seen, its flat... the shader does a nice job of giving the impression that the water is moving, but if you look at teh edges, all of the water is flat...

is the water a flat plane, or will it be able to have real wave motion?

also...

will the current fpsc get any of the dx9 shader stuff... like water?

thx...

oh yeah the screenshots look absolutely great!

--Mike
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 15:28
I'm still wondering why everyone is so excited about the water in FPSC X10? Once again, FPSC X10 is just showing water the way it is with DX9, not using the real DX10 water shaders at all.

DX9 (notice it's the same at X10 shows us) http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/13/0,1425,sz=1&i=133378,00.jpg

Real DX10 water: http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/13/0,1425,sz=1&i=133379,00.jpg

In other words there shouldn't be a problem implementing this (and all of the other features) into FPSC now.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 15:33
Your right, the water in FPSCx10 needs to look like that artists impression of DX10.

That's a mock up.

Again, yawn, here we go, one last time...

FRESNEL WATER REQUIRES 2 CAMERAS AND VASTLY REDUCES YOUR FRAME RATE, TO THE POINT THAT EVERY SINGLE USER OF FPSC WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Van...
what about the waves question...

also... a similar effect has been done in DBPro with shaders... two cams... and the frame rate loss is neglibible... surely, with all that dx10 gpu horsepower, the framerates can't be adversely affected that much by adding a second dedicated cam for the water...

@ Benjamin...
Quote: "I'm still wondering why everyone is so excited about the water in FPSC X10?"

because it isn't available in the current FPSC... that's why my second question above...

--Mike
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 16:51 Edited at: 28th Mar 2007 16:52
I'm not sure, but I expect that they use a plain because it's possible to use a plain <some shader techniques required a fairly dense detailed mesh, fresnel only needs a plain> - like they can generate it with code, maybe even to a specified size, but really in DBProX10 we should be able to use any shape, so what you've been doing should translate over nicely. Using a mesh for example and adjusting the vertices every loop to create waves should be doable.

With DX10 there is no need for extra cameras, because the textures can be rendered along with the main scene, so the performance will be far better than DX9. The problem with cameras is they are dependant on your frame rate, so if your getting 500fps then adding fresnel water is not biggie, if your getting 50fps then adding fresnel water is a very bad idea. FPSC runs at 30fps, if your PC struggles to keep up, then your running at 10fps. A FPS needs to run at >25fps, otherwise it's too slow to aim effectively and quickly becomes something to post about on the forums.

What we all want is these cool water effects and bloom and volumetric particles without ending up with a dull and slow game because of it. Even people who are complaining want that, they just don't know it yet. Wait till we get to see FPSCx10 in action, then it won't be such a tech demo argument. With lots of enemies and shaders on the go, well people will just want it and hopefully accept that DX9 can't compete on that level, regardless of hardware. Hopefully we'll see a video in the next newsletter.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
thx...

--Mike
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 20:20
I like the waters and the ragdolls, also the great shadows and the smoke.
But the blood decals???
In games like counterstrike you think "What a bloody mess" (I am from sweden and dont know if i say it right)
But in FPSC you think "Who painted on my walls?"
I think it should be better blood decals, more transperant and no white edges. It should look more like blood!

Otherwise it all looks good, soon I will buy Vista with X10 and will surely get FPSCX10.

Visit us at www.freewebs.com/bigvikinggames , you can find our new free games and new free models.
Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 20:43 Edited at: 28th Mar 2007 20:44
Well the white edges could be the result of shaders, lightining and the texture of the blood decal getting messed up.
It could be 'cos the videocard or it's drivers of the user that are causing it, since I haven't seen those white edges in my games.

That asside, what I'm looking nearly even more than fancy graphics (those will do, thanks!) is more control on player's character, level-, object and game-settings, be it via .fpis or in the editor's special menu. I'd prefer the later one. Some small and simple things, like actual rate of fire of weapons, tempo of footsteps, maybe a weight of objects etc. should be easier to edit. Some of those cant't be changed in the current DX9 version
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the water effects in BF2 and that don't use DX10... how comes these things can appear in other games?
TZap
Years of Service
User Offline
X10 looks great and I am impressed but my opinion is that it should be held back for a while. Vista needs to get established with a larger user base...that could take over a year at the very least. It would give some more time to get X10 really spot on and implement even more features.

If you do not have new kit with Vista already installed, you are probably looking at an upgrade to get the most out of it...money which a lot of us don't have.

Maybe get X9 developed more...more model packs...bug fixes...upgrade to extra features.
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 12:58
if the water is a plain, wont it be like FPSC and if u go underwater u wont be in water, and u will see a normal map without water?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Skywalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Will DX10 have support normal maps and bump mapping?

"Its not how many times you fall its how many times you get back up!"
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
We all demand Windows XP Versions!

Screens look excellent.

Tom

Spudling
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 15:32
yep XP

Was Hi! but Hi! Was gettin a little iritating
mister shakes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 17:28
Ok first I apologize if this is in here somewhere, I am running out of time before I go to work.

Can't wait for x10 to be fully released, seeing as I just got myself a new pc, but anyways here is the dilemma.... the versions of FPSC currently out try to load dx9 dlls which cannot be downloaded on a dx10 machine... dont tell me I have to do something stupid in the meantime like unplug my 8800 until x10 is out. Very frustrating unless I am missing something here.....

Any help will be followed by thanks...
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Mister shakes, you just need to go to the official directx site and manually download 9c.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
mister shakes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 19:03
I'm not trying to be crass, but I'm not an idiot. That's naturally the first thing I tried to do. Can't overwite a newer version of dx with an older one, or so the installers states. So this leads me to 3 possible conclusions.

1) There is a fix for fpsc to run in an dx10 environment
2) I have to uninstall dx10 (not sure if that can be done using an 8800) and dl dx9
3) Sit back and get better at modelling until x10 is official.
Unreal Graphics
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with Doggy. FPSCx10 should allow more control over the actual gameplay elements and what not, not just flashy graphics. These amazing visuals are all well and good but by including more variation in the levels and new gameplay features, the user can create a much better game.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm not trying to be crass, but I'm not an idiot. That's naturally the first thing I tried to do. Can't overwite a newer version of dx with an older one, or so the installers states"

Worked for me...are you getting 9c from windows update, or are you downloading the standalone?

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 21:16
mister shakes - DX10 should have DX9 emulation. I don't have a vista computer so I'm not sure if this has to be downloaded seperatly - I'd try googling it or searching the MS website.

mister shakes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 22:06
@bond1 - I am getting it from the directx homepage. After the dl the installer simply states I have a newer version installed and is now exiting. Maybe getting it from the fpsc install disk??

@Airslide - Thanks for the tip I will look for it.

Being as I am not at my own pc, is there anything in the setup.ini that loads a specific dx dll?

Aside, for everyone asking questions about dx10 and vista, it is way too hard to understand what the benefits of dx10 will be because there is barely nothing out for it. There is hardly any basis for comparison. The only current problem with vista is compatibilty. So far hardware really hasn't been an issue, and as far as the problems I have had with software most the companies are now offering updates or upgrades to run their programs. I heard a rumor that XP will no longer be available for purchase in another year or so. It is inevitable that XP will fade away into the sunset at some point so let these guys who are doing a fantastic job with this thing keep doing so.

Many thanks to Lee and the rest of the developers along with everyone else helping to make this a better program. Keep up the excellent work.
halospree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 02:44
Hey the physic look really well Rick... is there going to be support for higher-res textures, and some anti-aliasing? If their were that could really make FPSCX10 go up and other the top of awesome mate! Nice work!

My game(no-name yet) 27% and stopped until FPSCX10
as I have vista and can't run the normal FPSC!
mister shakes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 03:50
Fixed the problem I just got DX (Feb '07) elsewhere and now it works. Thanks to those who offered help.
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 09:34 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 09:37
Looks good. Hopefully this will work with ATI Radeon cards.

EDIT: Trying to get rid of your stupid signature.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 15:13 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 15:13
Quote: "Looks good. Hopefully this will work with ATI Radeon cards."

It won't. And most likely won't be working for a while, since the only DX10 card currently is Nvidia's 8800, and I haven't heard a word about new DX10 cards coming out anytime soon.
Cyber Lee
Years of Service
User Offline
but to run this we need a dx10 graphics card + vista, right?
that means nothing for me till next year...
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! This thread got quiet fast.

I wonder what the latest news is.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. http://gamedesigntech.byethost7.com/
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 00:57
It got quiet because of the other X10 threads.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 07:01
quiet like this ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But really check out the sticky in FPSC chat.
*Slayer_2

EOT
[img][/img]
Check it out here: http://eliteops.piczo.com/?cr=6&rfm=y

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:49:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:49:06