Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBP] BSP style sliding collision with only a .X model

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 14:28 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2003 05:44
I have been working for a few days on trying to find a quick way to do sliding collision like the BSP style collision, but I don't feel like learning Worldcraft/Hammer/Using the BSP compiler.

So, what I did instead was to make a small piece of code that does it using only the DBPro commands only loading one .X level. I made mine in CShop. (It's in the download below) The code allows you to slide in any direction on the X-Z plane. It plays like regular sliding box collision, except no setup. You just call the code and it positions the camera. Oh yeah, I forgot that this in only camera collision. You'd have to change the code to work for an object. Just replace all the camera calls with the object and number. I made a cheap level so that you can play around and I think I got enough angles in it to test it ok. Let me know if you find any defects/oddities.

I get about 100 FPS on my system. Please post your FPS and system specs. Feel free to try and improve on this if you so desire. I just wanted the base part working so I can start on my RPG.

Controls:
RMB=mouselook (No boundaries, sorry, lazy)
RMB&LMB=move forward & mouselook
Space resets the camera to initial position

Download: Http://d.koren.home.comcast.net/xcol.zip

-Kensupen

Nerdsoft Creations - Lead Programmer
System Specs: AMD XP 1700+, WinXP Home, 1GB PC133 ram and Radeon 9500 using DX9
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 03:02
nice, very nice! Smooth, perfect collision detection and adjustment from what I can tell, but I only had 6 FPS... course my comp is a pile of dog crap!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 17:27
Its very good! But i did manage to break it, sorry
I managed it twice, walking off the top cat walk type thing. First time i was just about to fall off and sneezed.. lol, well i jolted the mouse whilst sneezing and when i finished recovering i was stuck in the cat walk. I reset it and a while trying to break it again to find out exactally how, finally did it but it wasnt very helpful, i just kinda walked off the corner and into the connecting catwalk on the otherwall and i ended up in it.. i tried to do it again for a third time so i could take better note of the angle i was at n what not but after around 15 minutes i gave up

But great work all in all! and for me it ran between 95 and 111 fps

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 09:40
I have updated the code so that it's about 4-5 times faster, but a little bit less accurate. Not really noticable, but I'm picky about it. Anyways. I lowered the number of collision checks from 72 to 8 and it seems to have doubled to tripled the speed.

Previous bugs fixed:
1. If you leave the map, you don't fly to infinity anymore.
2. If one of the collision checks doesn't make contact it won't push you. It just ignores that check.

Right now on my system, I went from 101fps to 400fps.

Once I have it the way I like it, I'll remake & recomment the code, build a new demo and repost the xcol.zip. I'll let everyone know when it's ready to download.

-Kensupen
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 07:01
Ok, I've updated the source and EXE. It's the same download from above.

I fixed a few problems:
-Walking off the map no longer hurls you into outer space
- Walking when there are no walls no longer includes that vector in the collision check.
-Made a new map in MS3D. It's the same as the last one from CShop, except it's floor then catwalk, then another floor. I put a really cheesy ladder in it, but it thinks it's a ramp. (Box with a transparent ladder texture)

The number of checks has been dropped to 8 from 72.
I created a variable (checks I think) and that's all you have to change. The code calculates the rest. It's only accurate from 0 to 360 every 45 degrees. (360/8) The more checks you allow it to run, the more accurate it will be, but only at the angles of (360/numchecks) Play around with the code and see what works for your needs.

The default EXE is in 640x480 Exclusive at 16Bit. I get between 198 to 856 FPS when unlocked the sync rate and depending on what I'm looking at. Try changing around the exclusive/windowed and color depth and post your FPS.

Feel free to use this code in any of your programs. I made it cause BSPs made from CShop on my system get about 15 fps on the BSP of the level included as a .X here. This way I get 200+ fps. It's not as accurate as a BSP, but you can't walk through the object, just the sliding is wrong at times. The only thing I ask, is that you don't claim to have created the code. Give credit where credit is due.

-Kensupen
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 07:57
The new code is freaking awesome people, TRY IT!

Zep--

Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 07:58
I was getting 21 FPS with the old code, with the new stuff and 8 checks I am getting 200fps.

Zep--

RCON
Years of Service
User Offline
SUPER COOL!!!! that code ROCKS!
cypher
Years of Service
User Offline
Kensupen, in a word - WOW! Are you in a development team? If not, you should be, this pretty cool code.

Me and a few friends have tossed the idea around of creating a dev team in the Pacific Northwest useing the OGRE engine. We are also all members of the PagDig game dev group,i.e IGDA members.

Anyway, you've got talent, be sure to use it in the Industry!

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 00:00 Edited at: 5th Jun 2003 00:00
I mainly got Darkbasic to be able to make stupid games for me and my roommate to play. Right now, it's just me and him that work on games. If you want to check out our work...

Go here

Nerok was done in DBC
Curse of the Four Towers was done in Pro.

-Kensupen

granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 02:08
hi Kensupen
i just found this,great stuff i hope
you develope this some more

dave

just trying to learn
Raudaschl
Years of Service
User Offline
This is some damn fantastic code! I strongly reccomend anyone who wants to even consider creating dynamic and interesting levels to strongly look at it!

Fallen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 01:14
dammmm!! great code!! 200-700 frame. do you know if this works well in 3rd person view?

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 07:17
It works in any view, you just have to change the code from camera positions to object positions.

-Kensupen

Fallen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 13:13
thanks just one other thing..if I run the exe that came with the zip the option to unlock the sync rate works fine, but if I open the DBP project even if I dont make any alteration that option dont work anymore..the game stays always in 60 fps..and the code is untouched..

Tanks for this excelent piece of code Kensupen

The Fallen
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 00:31
If you compile it in full screen exclusive, the max FPS is your sync rate set in windows.

-Kensupen

Fallen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 13:58
ahh.. thanks again m8

The Fallen
AlphaOmega
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 13:18
Is there also a way to create such a program in DBC ??
I just want to create a whole map in a .x model (using milkshape)
And i dont want to walk through the walls and don't wanna fall through the floor and ceiling. can you help me ????

-AO

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 23:14
No, this is only possible in DBPro as far as i know. DBPro has a command called Intersect Object which returns the distance to an object using Poly detection. It's math based and really fast. If someone wanted to make a function/DLL like this for DBC, then it would be possible. As of right now, it's not.

-Kensupen

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahhh! Were is the code> I get a 404 error when trying to download! After all the good comments youre getting Kensupen, I would like to learn from you.

I worked on some similar things recently but I would appreciate it if I could find out whats going wrong from your code.

Even though I haven't seen it,considering all the good appraisal youve been geting, well done anyway

All your base are belong to us
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 05:45
Sorry about the 404. I was out of town and Comcast just changed my homepage from AT&T. The link is updated and should work again.

-Kensupen

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Kensupen

All your base are belong to us
Attreid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 09:59 Edited at: 7th Jul 2003 22:27
here's an upgrade for your code :
for archnukr=1 to 2
gosub _collision
next archnukr

what does it do ? try to set the radius at 18, and then, try to go between a column and a wall, without this upgrade
then, with the upgrade
edit : it fix too the problem with the corners, so you don't need the code for the corners anymore

"He will come...the voice from the outer world,
bringing the holy war, the Jihad, which will cleanse the Universe and bring us out of darkness."
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 04:52
I think that would slow down the code because it would have to do the entire check system twice. It would solve the extra code I put in, but I think it would be slower. I'll check this out later.

-Kensupen

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 08:42
well, I can't say much. I got 55-60 FPS even after pressing enter

Also, I have only found out how to move backward, strafe left/right.....how do i move forward and how do i look around? I have no idea what you are tlaking about when you say "RMB&SMB"

but, from what i see it looks pretty cool

~PlystirE~

sinny
Years of Service
User Offline
Run by DBPro = 23 FPS (online with open 10 IE windows)

it's Very Very GOOOODDDDDD

if i use more than one model, can it support?

Thank you ^ -^ i like it

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 16:48
Plystire: RMB=Right mouse button and LMB=Left mouse button

R Tape loading error
Attreid
Years of Service
User Offline
kensupen, if you use the for next, I think you don't need anymore the system for hmmm .. then there are two walls, how is it called ? for the corners
you can try to put the code for the corners between a remstart and a remend

"He will come...the voice from the outer world,
bringing the holy war, the Jihad, which will cleanse the Universe and bring us out of darkness."
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 21:30
KENSUPEN I've been messing with the built-in BSP collision for a few days and it is nowhere near as accurate as your code! It's confirmed my decision to dump BSP and use CShop3 (when it's released) and .X files. I might code an intelligent 3rd person camera (that doesn't go through walls as it follows the main character) I made camera code for BSPs it should work perfectly with the X files and the right kind of level design. Cheers mate!

Dual athlon 2000 MP - 1GB ram
"It's the devils way now...There's no way out...You can scream and you can shout!
It is too late now..BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT BEEN PLAYING ATTENTION.
3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 16:05
This is really good. Thanx alot. I made the same for an object. I know everybody can do that but I made it easier. Just copy the code here and paste it into the xcol DBpro source.

Current project: Dodge Viper Car Game (Not named yet) Other car models are going to be included soon
Fallen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 01:20
nice code 3dZmaster the problem is the camera pass the walls. I am trying to make that dont happen #)

The Fallen
3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 13:18
Yeah I didn't fix it.

Current project: Dodge Viper Car Game (Not named yet) Other car models are going to be included soon
3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 21:23
Kensupen:
I'm trying to use this in my racing game and its working pretty good.
But one thing: How could I get the radius so that it would be more like the car. So it would long but not so width. like this:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
l--------------------------------------------------------------------
I need this because now when the car rotates it goes into the wall. Like if it's facing the wall directly. But from the sides it's fine. If I add more radius, then the rotation collision is fine but then the sides react from too far. Damn, That was unclearly said. I thought I had good english, but I think no one will find out what I meant. Well If you do, please answer

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 23:26
Basically this is a circular check. It can't do rectangles. The only way you could do this is to make 4 checks at the corners of the car. To keep the speed up, I'd do 4 checks of 4 angles. That way you could calculate the angle of the car versus the wall using trig. This was meant for FPS games, but it could be adapted.

-Kensupen

3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 14:41
Yeah I know this was meant for an FPs game and I think it's great for that. Best code I've ever seen! Now I'm just trying to make it more flexible. Maybe I should try that thing u told. So 4 checks only for every wheel. Thanx.

Fallen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2003 12:15 Edited at: 18th Aug 2003 17:08
another thing 3dZmaster in your code the object cant use the ladder

--Project Fantasy-- WebsitE SooN
3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 18:14
yeah yeah... I know. I didn't try to do anything special. It is just Kensupen's code with couple changes. And for that car game it worked very well! Pretty good car game actually (well, I made it ), but we stuped the project 'cause of the fps... I coulnd't figure any way to make x object act like bsp, so it wouldn't render the unseen parts of the track. 'cause the car and track are so high polys, the fps was somtehing very weird... But It was very cool game... Thanx thousand times to kensupen.

Current project: 3d demo to show my skills to other users
3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 22:14
Hey, Kensupen. This runs very slowly in my newest third person game... hmmm... How can I change the number of collision.. Or you said something like that in the rems... "Make 72 collision points. You can change this value, but it seems to work pretty good" or something. So how can I do that? (sorry, little confused 'bout that array stuff)

Current project: 3d demo to show my skills to other users
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2003 12:55
The lowest this can go with any accuracy is 4 checks. Basically box collision at 0,90,180,270. Just change the code to match the below code. It won't be very accurate, but it should be a bit faster. Intersect Object just isn't as fast as I'd like it to be. <sigh>

`number of checks
`the lower this number is, the more off the collisions will be vs. any rotated object.
`also, the lower the number, the more speed it runs at.
`lowest for rotated collision is 4(non rotated/box collision) max is 360, but 360 is WAAAY slow
`I'd advide is you play with this number to keep with a multiple of 4
checks=4 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Change this to 4
if checks<4 then checks=4
if checks>360 then checks=360
`width of the angles
angwidth=360/checks
`make arrays for collision data
dim ang#(checks-1,2)
dim sort#(checks-1,2)

-Kensupen

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2003 12:59
Another thing you could try, if you feel up to it, is modify the code to use wrapvalue(object angle y(player object)+my check angles) this will give slightly better collision, but you'd have to also modify the code that pushes you away from the non-player object to be the inverse angle of the collision check and maybe +- the player angle y(). I tried to mess with it at first, but I didn't like the results. It was kinda jerky, but more accurate. 4 checks with my original code works great for almost any FPS type game.

-Kensupen

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
HOLY MACCARONIA! i think i spelled it wrong but anyhow here are my system specs

P4 1700MHZ Celeron onboard lan,onboard sound,onboard video, 256mb's of DDR ram with 64mb's of shared ram totaling 198 megs or so of free ram for total useage...

OK when i switched the sync rate to 0 i got 114-115fps!! woo! thats liek the highest i'v ever gotten but then again i guess its becuase Counter-strike is online heh...
Sync rate at 60 i got 66fps! good job

<a href="http://www.freewebs.com/independant/">http://www.freewebs.com/independant</a>
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2003 20:02
I've been thinking of using a method like this to make sliding collision in DBC. Could I try? Using that intersect command probably isn't the only way.

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 05:41
You could do it using memblocks, but I have no idea of how to implement that. It would prolly be slower as well.

-Kensupen

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 18:55 Edited at: 7th Aug 2003 18:58
Cool. I have already started actually. I am not using memblocks, although I thought of that. I would probably have to write my own polygon collision rountine to detect which polygon in the object I am colliding with, then use another routine to find the intersection of a vector and polygon, but to be honest I wouldn't have a clue , so I'm using collision objects instead.

I did look at your code and as far as I can tell you are using a circle of collision points, and if one of them comes near enough to a wall then you push the camera in the direction of the vector between the camera and the collided collision point. You push the camera back by the distance between the collision point and the wall using "intersect object".

Seeing as DBC doesn't have that command, I am using collision "objects" in the form of rotated boxes all around the main object (Im doing 3rd person). They work the same as the collision points in your code, but you cannot detect which one is closest to the wall, you only know if they actually collide with the wall (the first object to collide will usually be the one at the nearest angle to the wall). This is less acurate as if the object is moving too fast, several collision points will collide and this will cause inaccurate collision because the object may be pushed in the wrong direction. That means that I have to be careful with the size of the collision points, to make sure they are as far apart as possible (so that the correct point will collide with the correct wall), at the same time as covering as much of the outside of the main object as possible.

Here is what would happen in an illustration, this is with 4 collision boxes/points:

Top row: Too small boxes: The wrong collision object hits wall, object pushed in wrong direction (right instead of back).

Bottom row: Too big boxes: Three collision object hit wall, object on the left is the first to be checked in loop and therefore it pushes the object right instead of back, causing massive collision mistake .

Any solution to this would be appreciated .

Also I have to take into account the thickness of the collision boxes according to the speed the object is moving and the distance of the collision points from the main object.

<end of long winded unneccesary explanation>

So far I have got the sliding collision working with a loaded .x object, but I still have to do some slope collision, which I have been using in other projects so thats fine.

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 02:32
I wish you luck. I didn't even want to attempt this in DBC. Too much bubblegum and duct tape.

-Kensupen

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 22:38
I'm actually having trouble with the slope collision. May be a while before it is sorted.

AciDucK
Years of Service
User Offline
Hamish McHaggis - I havw registered here just to answer you about the slopes collision
I also had this problem, and it took me 2 hours of staring at the code to figure out what to do. The answer is just a simple line. The snippet is the original code, with the line that solves the problem between two notes. In my code, object 2 is the x file, and cx#, cy# and cz# are the coordinates of the player.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 19:06
Amazing code i got over a 1000 fps at times, i'm gonna stare at the code now till i understand how you did it!

Fallen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2003 17:07
Anyone have and ideia how to make the camera dont pass through walls ?

--Project Fantasy-- WebsitE SooN
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2003 03:46
You'd have to use the same collision check for the camera. It'll slow things down a bit, but not much.

-Kensupen

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 21:39:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 21:39:12