Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Contrast : a film noir FPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 11:01
Are those models of people sitting down, or is it an animation?

Your signature has been deleted due to the fact that it was far too humourous to possibly show.
http://www.fpsinsane.co.nr/ -New FPSC Forums By Jenkins
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 13:31
Quote: "Very nice. What is the sky going to look like?"

The skyline is actual pictures from london, with animated clouds. That's going to be one of the last things I add, as it's pretty straight forward, but I want to just keep that BG plain for the minute.

Quote: "How in the world did you get black?
Now, before you go an say "Well...it's not 00000"
I tried making it something like "090909"
and I still got some black "specks""

Uh, I don't get why people find this hard. it is RGB 000000, saved out to DDS DXT5, with no alpha channel. Level ambience set to zero. Arron, if you drop me an email, I'll send you a jet black DDS to play with.

Fallen One.
Yeah dude, I kinda see it as a risk going black and white.Everytime I take a break from dev I go play something AAA and I just think that perhaps I'm hacking myself out of the general market. But then you gotta consider that a whole bunch of games have had strange visuals and done really well, X111, The first half of Blood will Tell, and as you said there are BW sequences in Max Payne. Whatever. This is like my version of Tarantino doing Kill Bill. There may be a chance everyone hates it, but I don't really care. It's gonna be fun to make!

Quote: "'bout time this thread got the "red icon" award for 50 posts."

LOL. It's like once it goes Red you feel like there's no way you can slip off the first page....

Quote: "Are those models of people sitting down, or is it an animation?"

Uh... well they're models that are animated sitting. Ijust took the MP4 meshes into maya and re-rigged them with my own biped, then game them new poses. I'm also using that to create the cutscenes. Which I'll have to host elsewhere to avoid breaking the AUP!

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 14:28
Butters, how do you do it?

go to:
www.freewebs.com/futurefps
www.chainoffreedom.com.piczo.com
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 23:29
Quote: "FOTF may very well have been canned.."

is that why you signature still says it?
looking good
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 00:02 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2007 00:06
sorry for the double post, the riot shield guy is looking good
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 00:39
Quote: "sorry for the double post, the riot shield guy is looking good "

Well, to avoid double posting you could of posted that in that relevant thread!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking cool,must take ages re-doing all those textures.
It's not just about it being b/w it's the style and appearance.
It all ties together really well and I could see this being a winner for any publisher.
Very stylish.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 20:19
Looks like Sin City. Im making black and white sections for an experimetal game Ill probably give up on, and they dont size up to your work! Very nice

Please sign here
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 23:31
How about some more screens, a film would be nice, Im curious to see this moving.
Ive had simular ideas to this before, but had too much on to get into it, so its great seeing someone create this style of game.
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 23:48
Quote: "a film would be nice"

Butters has already posted a few videos showing aspects of this project.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 00:34
Quote: "Uh, I don't get why people find this hard. it is RGB 000000, saved out to DDS DXT5, with no alpha channel. Level ambience set to zero. Arron, if you drop me an email, I'll send you a jet black DDS to play with."

Butters, don't you use Photoshop? I use Photoshop CS, and I have no problem with setting it to RGB 000000 and getting it ingame without transparency. Maybe their image editors automatically alpha channel RGB 000000.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 01:27
Quote: "Butters has already posted a few videos showing aspects of this project."

The only one ive see is one video showing an invisble/cloaked man shooting.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=104662&b=24
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 03:19 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 03:20
Here are some new screenies from a electricity grid plant. Theres a custom decal script to make the sparks flash randomly, rather than all at the same time. This level you have to hunt for clues and equipment, notice custom animated/scripted lockers, that can be setup to spawn items and weapons for the player. Finally, pretty proud of the cables on the generators and the EPcurve created extractors with the wiggly vents. Overall most pleased with the randomised decals. PLEASE check out the vid as well as these pics and tell me whatcha think!

OH and notice I've got 35-40 FPS the whole time! Probably a good thing actually as these are pretty bare bones at the moment. I have to add crates, barrels, more wires, and terminals etc. SO theres a lotta polys still to come!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 03:23
Heres the vid

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Steam Assassin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 03:32
Nice to hear about all those new randomized events. Also, looking great, as always.

Are those modified walls from your "meat" level?

Your signature has been erased by a Mod, because I am bored.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 06:06 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 10:45
That is really nice, I had the exact same idea, but went for a game I could do quicker, I even automated my filters in the PS actions for bulk output for the textures, there are 3 ways of doing the textures for that look, one is using the filter I have, Ill keep that one to my self as its pure gold what that can do, the other is through either the brightness and contrast or altering the levels. they will all give the same effect.

I thought id leave the B+W idea to when I had more funds and could license the vicious engine, it outputs to the wii which is where I wanted that concept to go, but saying that a dev kit for the wii is 1700 usd so its not out of the range of the small dev, though as for if fpsc can be converted to the wii is something else, as a platform the wii would be ideal for fpsc if it did run to a console, I have often thought that fpsc would be ideal to port to a console as it is the only game engine that one could even attempt to use a joypad and still use it, I think it would make an ideal tool for a console hobbyist game developers, I TGC could shift a lot of fpsc units to that market.

Contrast - I cant wait to see how this turns out, looks great so far, its rare I look forward to something, but playing this will be one rare exception.

By the way if you wanted you could make a cell shader effect (black outline) by duplicating the mesh, give it a black texture and reversing the normals, you will have double the meshes, but the technique works.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 18:04
X turns off the frame limit cap, so it can go as high as it wants. But im running empty's mod, so I can set my own frame rate limit in the setuplevel.fpi file. Mines set at 50.

Please don't turn this into a debate over what the X key does.

I'm working on some cool geo mod stuff. I'll post a video soon.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 14:24
To whom it may concern,
Keep your posts on topic.
Butters asked you nicely and now I am telling you.
If you don't use FPSC anymore and you are not being a productive member of the community you can keep your opinions to yourself and/or go elsewhere.We don't need that in this thread.

Rilejarom
User Banned
Posted: 1st May 2007 22:08
Like the left handed weapon. The vid was a little short for my liking but it was good. Only thing I did not like was the darkness of that one corner at end of vid.

Stupid is not a sickness but you make it look like one.
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 22:38 Edited at: 25th May 2007 22:39
[On topic] Nice game Butters, hows it coming? Sorry for the big bump. Oh how are those random animation decals going? Love the breakable door

[Off topic]
Quote: "To whom it may concern,
Keep your posts on topic.
Butters asked you nicely and now I am telling you.
If you don't use FPSC anymore and you are not being a productive member of the community you can keep your opinions to yourself and/or go elsewhere.We don't need that in this thread."

Was that aimed at me?
*Slayer_2

EOT
[img][/img]
Check it out here: http://eliteops.piczo.com/?cr=6&rfm=y
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 02:18
It wann't aimed at a specific member...just a suggestion to all...
Butters made a specific request to keep the post on topic so that is what we are all HAPPY to do out of respect for him.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 09:40 Edited at: 26th May 2007 09:44
My thread has gone again, they are dissapearing, FredP- are you deleting my threads, or threads in general, Im not seeing them on these boards.

Quote: "It wann't aimed at a specific member...just a suggestion to all..."

whos this then -

Quote: "If you don't use FPSC anymore and you are not being a productive member of the community you can keep your opinions to yourself and/or go elsewhere.We don't need that in this thread."

who are you talking about, who and what is this, are you deleting posts?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 10:29
To whom it may concern...
I delete posts that are off topic at the request of the poster of the thread or at my discretion if I feel they are inappropriate.
If your post gets deleted please keep in mind what you are posting and whether it is on topic or not.
I have an e-mail address.You can always e-mail me if you have a question.
Now please keep your posts on topic.

Drapes#10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 02:24
Have no fear Bumper man is her

Crap happens.....just not to me
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 10:43
Quote: "Have no fear Bumper man is her "

if bumper man is a transexual, then just leave him alone

fallen one, ON TOPIC - that would exclude arguing with fred yeah?

Fred, cheers for the cleanup, although it appears that post deletion leads to more OT threads with peope going "wheres my pointless post gone?" anyway, thanks for the hard work...

In answer to sayers question; it's going ok, but just very very slowly. I have around 50 individual characters now, probably 90% of whom have custom animations. So, I have more characters than my plot requires. I'm now moving on to locations, and will start modelling the levels soon.

I'm sorry there been a lack of updates, I'll put a character sheet together soon.

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 30th May 2007 12:34
Quote: "Quote: "Have no fear Bumper man is her "
if bumper man is a transexual, then just leave him alone"

Lol.

How much will this be?

See The Duplex Creations Website at:
http://www.duplexcreations.mdhost.info
Squelchy Tom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 23:46 Edited at: 30th May 2007 23:48
"I've got 35-40 FPS the whole time"

how :0 did you hak

Does the fact that its black and white reduce framerate or does it make it higher :/

Edit: i like the opening and closing locker thingys
pigs can fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 12:46
Nice
Reminds me of a 1930's film with lots of guns...
But again... good idea, Butters

For all my free FPSC entities!
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2007 23:42
It all looks amazing so far. I like it when games take artistic directions out of the ordinary. Makes it all more interesting.

"Or perhaps we're just one of god's little jokes?"
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 17:34
Truly awesome concept. 2 big swooshy colourful Amiga ticks for you. What is the game itself going to be like/about?

www.ciphersoftware.co.uk

MindLife - v1.0: At the forums: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=107284&b=25
Skywalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Just an idea, but I think if the only thing in color was the blood effects it would be amazing.

"Its not how many times you fall its how many times you get back up!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 16:59:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 16:59:09