Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DB pro bluring my images

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I spent a long time programming a module where you could ask the program to display text or numbers in a font I had built, this had been innitially achieved by copying an image to the screen, then grabbing all the charaters off it. This looked terrible as DBpro had smudged it really badly, the same effect still happened when I decided to split the characters into individual bmps to then be loaded (I assumed that they wouldn't get smudged this way) but looked almost just as bad - does anyone know the cause of this or even better how to prevent it?
Alessandro
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 17:52
I had the same problem - I think most of its is caused by the anti-aliasing on the graphics card. I dont know how to get around it though, except to split the graphics using Paint.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
SFSW
Years of Service
Recently Online
I can vouch for the fact it is NOT a problem with AA. The problem occurs on 3D cards that don't even support AA. There are core rendering problems present in the DBPro engine that I'm sure are being worked on. It's been reported that the DBPro engine forces certain rendering settings, this can include LOD (level of detail) or other options that effect image quality (in fact FSAA isn't even allowed in the DBPro engine on some cards that have the feature enabled). This will hopefully be addressed in future versions. You could imagine the flood of tech support e-mail a developer would get if gamers couldn't use the fancy features on a $200+ graphics card they bought, or if image quality was to be poor.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 00:31
I was wondering about that. All my text looks like it has been textured onto a plain!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
SFSW
Years of Service
Recently Online
Here are a few problems I've been running into regarding quality and compatibility. Some cards (that many gamers own) produce very strange results. Pixelation and shimmering are some of the biggest struggles I seem to have with the Pro engine. It will be great when the compatibility, speed, and rendering issues are taken care of. I'm sure looking forward to patch 2

AsylumHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 03:08
The problem rests with the way DBP pro now treats 2d surfaces. Every 2d image (sprite, image or bitmap) is mapped onto a 3d surface of the same size. Unfortunately, this introduces bi-linear filtering to the bitmap and offsets in the mapping since it is using UV's. All of this makes the bitmap look blurry (especially when chromakeying). DirectX 8 transforms 2d to 3d surfaces by default so I can only presume these changes where done to improve the performance of 2d and the compatibility with dx8 - but at the cost of image quality

I posted a message a while ago asking if the DBP team could include a flag that would allow us to at least turn off the bi-linear filtering. Having said that, the texel to screen pixel ratio may still be off so I'm not sure if we'll ever see pixel perfect 2d in DBP. Let's see if we get a reply!

In the meantime, I have reverted back to dark basic for 2d programs.

AsylumHunter

still falling out of my binary tree most evenings (hicup!)
SFSW
Years of Service
Recently Online
I am also back to DB for my current projects, but because of 3D. I'm sure these issues can be fixed, there are plenty of DirectX 8 games out there that have good looking text and 2D media included with superb high quality 3D rendering. AVP2 is one that come to mind.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 03:15
So, it means trying to grab 2D images off a screen will be both inaccurate and foggy...

Hope someone comes up with a DLL that will along grabbing from screen into memory..

Yes, I really am THAT good...
ironhoof
Years of Service
User Offline
THe pixels ratio isnt off in 2d infact i found out 3 things

1. If you use SEt display mode ONLY you will haveto change your windows resolution to get it to run and the pixels are wrong

2. if you set the resolution inside the IDE for your program
the pixels are perfect and you dont gotta change your windows resolution

3. It still wont fix the fact of the bug with pasting sprites in 2d it autoscales them down.. and if you try to fix the scale by hitting the right scale where everypixels is right the first image pasted is still shrunk

-----\
There was a man on the stairs that wasn't there.
He wasn't there agian today I think he's from the CIA.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 20:36
...very dissapointing...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:24:26
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 15:24:26