Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Newton Issue / Question regarding moving objects...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if anyone else has run into this or has seen this.

I have a engine that I am working on that uses Newton Physics to move and rotate objects. Fair enough. I am running a test in which, through my AI, move a object from point A to point B. This is done by applying a LOCAL force to the object, in this case a 1 meter in size box.

I have added the upvector for movement so the object does not fall over and I am manipulating the static friction value between the two materials that belong to the box and the floor.

The box moves from Point A to Point B, and then something strange happens, the box actually starts moving backwards. ??? I am applying no other forces (except for gravity but Newton is doing that) to this object, why is is moving backwards? The movement backwards is not nearly at the same rate as the test movment, but yet it still moves. Autofreeze is off so the object is constantly active.

At first I thought it might be that the static friction is not being re-applied, but according to my debug log it is. Then I thought somewhere I had the world at an angle but it is not. I also, in my code, set the velocity of the object to zero once it reaches it's destination. That did not solve the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? Also when using the Linear solver model, what do you have set for your loop count? Is 5 too low, too high. Since the solver calc's out the acceleration, do I need to adjust that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cassius
cassius
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, the world has to be tilted because I just ran a test with the object moving along the X axis and it still slides back towards the global Z axis once it is done moving. ???

Cassius
cassius
Years of Service
User Offline
I just verified the object position of the "ground" and it is position at 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 with a rotation of 0.0, 0.0, 0.0. So if newton thinks the ground is level and DBPro reports that the ground is level, why does my object always want to slide down the global z axis? When the object is first created, it does not slide, UNLESS I change the static friction to zero. I am using linear damping when I move, could that be causing it? Wierd....

Cassius
toggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 00:59
Hi,
When you create your box,try to position it little above the floor object so it can fall down on the floor when the gravity starts.
Try to use global force on your cube.That way it will point to the right direction.Just rename command to "NDB_BodyAddForceGlobal".
When you (if) use command "NDB_BuildMatrix" for the object,sometimes
there is a problem with colliding the other objects(object could go inside the other object even if the collision set properly).

Nik

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 17:04:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 17:04:08