Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / AI - Feature request (or am I missing something obvious?)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 00:53 Edited at: 6th May 2007 15:38
I have only just started using DarkAI but there are a few things that I would like to do but there doesn't seem to be a way to achieve them.

1) AI Set Entity Max Roam Distance Entity num, Distance# The command doesn't exist but is there a way to achieve something like that? At the moment when the entity is set to roam it only moves a tiny amount. It would be nice to be able to control the amount it can roam.

2) AI Set Max Roam Radius Entity num, x#, z#, radius Stops an entity from wander too far from his roam origin.

3) AI Set Entity Radius Entity num, Radius# Again the command doesn't exist but can it be done? There is AI Set Radius which will globally set the radius but what if my player is a human character and the enemy is a huge beast thing? The player could fit through two closely spaced trees but the beast should be blocked by them. I can't see a way to make that happen.

So, is there a way to achieve what I am trying to do?
If not would it be possible to include them in a future update?

Thanks

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 02:35
I don't have Dark AI so I cant help you with Q1. Q2, that is not connected to AI, it is physics and collision, get dark physics, it's well worth it.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 02:51
vorc: He means that the AI thinks it can make it through a small gap like 2 trees and thus tries to walk through, getting either stuck if the collision is being handled properly, or going right through the gap, making it look weird. Im pretty sure hes asking for a method of letting the AI determine "Oh, that gap is too small, I cant fit through there, Ill take another route".

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 03:46
What about the obstacle commands?

Ad Astra Per Asper
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 11:24 Edited at: 28th Apr 2007 11:25
Ruccus has hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what I mean. It has nothing to do with collision detection, I need the AI to determine that it can't fit through the gap and to find another route. It would give the player an escape route through small gaps.

As for the obstacle commands ... what about them? Obviously my trees are set up using AI Add Static Obstacle but that won't make any difference to the size of an entity trying to fit between two trees.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 16:53 Edited at: 28th Apr 2007 16:54
I dont have DAI, but... could you not model a second, low poly map that is used for the AI system, and in places like your game problem, you'd just make a single box spanning from one side of the gap to the other. Then hide this AI map/exclude it?

I guess if you can only use 1 map for all AI's then that wouldnt work though, since smaller AI's would avoid the gap as well..

What about making an invisible obstacle at a high enough point between the 2 trees, that the larger AI's would hit it with their head and not go through, while the smaller ones would go under?

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 21:04
It seems you can only have on AI map, so that isn't an option and there is no height to calculate for the objects size, so that can't be done either

So, it seems that my initial thought is correct and I am asking for a feature request and it isn't something I have missed.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 21:48
I wish you could set the unit AI radius as well. It is annoying to have everything the same size.

The AI collision system works pretty well. If you tell Dark AI that the model has collided, it will strafe to the side to break free of the collision. I admit, that seems like a hack of a solution, because it seems kind of dumb to have to slide around trees like that. It does work though.

Whenever I set entities to roam, they sometimes wander off completely, other times they just stick around their location. It seems random enough to me. I sometimes find characters swimming in the ocean for no apparent reason, just having roamed out that far. You can work around this though, if they wander off more than you want, you can reset their destination to their start point. Be sure and use 2D distance checks.

Come see the WIP!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 22:54
I agree that the roaming is random enough and if left long enough they could potentially roam very far. What I would like to be able to change is the amount the entity roams with each move because at the moment it is very small.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 15:34 Edited at: 10th May 2007 14:10
Another command that would be helpful is:

AI Set Max Roam Radius Entity num, x#, z#, radius

That would stop entities from wandering too far from a defined centre and would cure Cash's problem of finding his characters in the sea.

[Edited initial post to reflect this inclusion.]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:18:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:18:31