Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / why do we need drivers ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,

I'm wondering why we have to install Ageia drivers when using dark physics. Unity3d (which is awesome sorry to say that here) uses Ageia physics without any drivers. So i wonder
Freid

www.freid.com
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 17:38
You have to have the PhysX drivers to use the functionality.

Unity3D has embedded the engine in the software, which basically means you can't update the drivers without updating the whole package.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 10:03
I agree, the requirement of drivers is the only thing stopping me from using PhysX in my projects, getting people to install the latest DirectX is hard enough, who's going to bother getting drivers. If the game required a PPU I could understand this, but you still require them without.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 11:14
Isn't there a way that we can include an installation of the drivers with the project? Or would Ageia not allow that
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 16:52 Edited at: 12th May 2007 21:11
Quote: "Isn't there a way that we can include an installation of the drivers with the project? Or would Ageia not allow that"

You can with DirectX. So maybe.

Quote: "getting people to install the latest DirectX is hard enough"

If somebody I know refused to update DirectX I'm sure I would start yelling it them until they did. Why would somebody purposely NOT keep DirectX up to date? It's also not as though your game is the only thing that uses it, either.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 00:08 Edited at: 18th May 2007 00:09
Quote: "Unity3D has embedded the engine in the software, which basically means you can't update the drivers without updating the whole package."

While this gives you less flexibility to update faulty drivers, it does remove the "I'm not going to litter my computer with yet more junk just to try out a demo, so I won't bother" impediment.

And if a lot of people are like me, they won't try out a demo that requires "system stuff" to be installed.

Between the two evils, I'd personally much rather have a statically bound DPhys rather than the current setup.

I have vague plans for World Domination

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:41:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:41:34