Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 04:31
Hi All,

I've been using DBPro for a few months now, and have just started working with DP. This is the first time I had to post a question, as I can usually find my answers in the forums.

My Question:
What type of rigid body would you use for a ring or hoop? An example would be a dynamic ring used in "ring toss" where a ring would be thrown onto a static peg, or a static ring (or hoop) that you would throw a dynamic ball through.

Thanks - JoeBlaze
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 10:06
Depending on the required accuracy, I would be tempted to create it from 5 or 6 elongated box bodies, with static joints.

JoeBlaze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 18:03
Does this mean that my actual ring would need to be 5-6 seperate objects, or is it possible to add multiple rigid bodies to 1 object?
pdq
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you importing your ring as a model?

The documentation for Dark Physics mentioned an example that shows limbs from an X file being converted to physics objects. Look in "documentation\information.chm" under examples. But this feature is not supported in the current version of DP. I have inquired about this a couple of times.
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
A dynamic mesh should work fine.

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 16:42
Dynamic Meshes are OK, but can be very processor-intensive. And because it's a ring, you can't use a convex hull which is far more efficient.

To make it from a few rigid body boxes, you would simply create standard boxes, attach them to rigid bodies which are in turn jointed with static joints. Then, you would hide the DB Pro primitives, and programatically follow one of the boxes with your ring model.

I made a catapult this way. The "cup" of the catapult was made from 5 hidden boxes. I think I also glued the actual catapult cup to one of the hidden boxes to make the process easier.

JoeBlaze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 18:22
Thanks everyone! Yes, I am using a .x model. I do not have the example that pdq had referred to. That "model" directory shown in the information.chm does not exist for me (possibly removed by TGC since it is not supported?). I had already tried using a mesh, but as BatVink had stated, it is too processor intensive. I am currently working on a box setup suggested by BatVink, and will post my code after I test it (Thanks BatVink).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 16:33:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 16:33:48