Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Culling off screen physics objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 21:36
Normally I'd run a bunch of tests to find out the answer, but I'm going to bed so I'll pose the question and hopefully tomorrow it will be answered with lots of wisdom and experience.

Basically, I want the physics system to ignore off screen items. I have a variety of things off screen - lots of debris, lots of objects, etc. The more I add to the system the slower it runs, of course.

Now, the command PHY SLEEP RIGID BODY looks ideal for this, until you read the help file.

Apparently this only stops the physics body for one iteration. So, instead of being able to toggle an object off and on, I have to reset it every single loop. That seems a little redundant. Probably not the worst thing in the world, but is there a better way? I'm going to add the physics culling tomorrow and I just don't want to miss something obvious, like some magic command I've not seen that does this automatically.

I appreciate it!

Come see the WIP!
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 22:15
Surely, if something is up in the air and you turn away from it for five seconds or so, then turn back round, it'll still be bouncing when it should have come to rest?

Really, I think the "culling" should occur either by the user - by choosing lower, "less debris" settings at startup or when the level loads, the code evaluates the machine specs and chooses what objects to load and what to ignore (eg: only load half of the debris objects).

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 00:56
I have to say that "Redmotion" has a good point and I think he is right! Also the AGEIA-SDK-Doc only talks about "sleeping" when the actor is not effected by any force for some period of time, only then it's put to sleep to safe some performance/calculations.

You could try to force them to sleep (with the idea you mentioned, but they will get waked up everytime, cause a force is influencing them untill they do really rest and have no more force acting on them), but I'm not sure, if the result is what you want, cause like "Redmotion" said, it would be unnatural, to see something falling, you turn around, then look back and it's still falling! But it would be funny and has something of a "dejavue-effect"!

Hoozer

AMD 64X2 4800+ (939); 2GB; GF 6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.3):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93582&b=5

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:56:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:56:07