Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Annoying DP bug... is there a way to stop it from happening?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 19:38 Edited at: 9th Jun 2007 19:39
Hi all.

In my game, I have this level, where a couple of boxes are standing on each other. Ok, that doesn's seem to be so bugg, but the this is that they are 'sinking' though the static box I have as ground (and that is WAY larger then they are: 1000 units thick). Is this an bug in need of repair, or is there a way to stop it as an programmer?

Ohhh, and all the boxes are made of an unbouncy material. Here is the code that create the material:
. Don't know if that has to do with anything, though.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 07:28
Could we see some of your code? I haven't had any issues so far with this sort of problem, but most of my expirence with DarkPhysics has been using a terrain.

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 11:08
Ok, code is what you want then code you'll get. Just keep in mind that the entire source at the moment covers 1684 lines, so I don't think I'll post it. Anyway, here is the map-creation code (I've built an own system for loading maps):

If the problem is not here, I don't know where it might be. Because the game I'm working on pushes the capabilities of Dark Physics to it's limits.

Anyway, I've attatched the game itself to. Just want to know if you get the same bug, or if it's my computer. And if you do, know that the source itself is attatched to, so you can take a closer look at it if you want to.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 12:11 Edited at: 10th Jun 2007 12:21
Sorry for the double post, but here is an image of the problem. The boxes are sinking through the ground, which is one big static box.

EDIT:

I found the problem. It was the gravity that was to high (-500). Is this a bug, or is it just something I've done wrong?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 05:21
-500? Dang, mine is like -30. A high value might be dragging the boxes in, and it doesn't react fast enough to put em back...hmm...CDD might do it, but that would slow things down.

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 11:58
Guessed that was how it was. The gravity is specified in each map-file, so that the maps will be fully modable. I changed the value to -75, and now it works perfect.

I don't wan't to sound stupid, but what is CDD (I don't think I'll use it, since you said it slowed things down, and I need all the speed I can get in this game)?
bosskeith
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that was a typo for CCD (continuous collision detection)

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 13:10
Ok. But I don't know what that is either. Something about collision, but what, more exactly? Some sort of get-more-control-over-collision thing or get-collision-data thing?
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
CCD is used for collision testing of fast objects such as bullets. The "bullet" must be a box. Basically CCD stretches the box in the direction of movement to ensure that "tunneling" does not occur.

Codger

Tunneling is the term used to describe an object passing through a wall without collision detection because on one cycle the object was in front of the wall and on the next the object was past the wall

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 12:36
Like when you got an sphere of size 3 and an wall infront of it thats 5 units thick and you move 50? Ok, got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:24:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:24:55