Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / The new PHAGE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 05:23 Edited at: 16th Jun 2007 06:28
Phage (originally called Bacteriophage) is a simple game in which you attempt to kill as many bacteria as you can and hopefully win by overcoming a series of bodily infections. The purpose of this thread is to present this project (again) and gain useful gameplay balance feedback.

Controls:
Left click to blow up an available phage and kill bacteria. Right click to RANDOMIZE the bacteria for better shot looks. M to toggle music. ESC to kill yourself (if you start off badly or whatnot).

Screenshots:
http://www.guruchild.net/phage_screen_1.jpg
http://www.guruchild.net/phage_screen_2.jpg
http://www.guruchild.net/phage_screen_3.jpg

Information:
The object of the game is simple: Do not lose all of your phages and progress by killing as many bacteria per phage as you can. Choose one of the phage types to begin. Each phage has their own strategic bonus so experiment and see which one you do the best with. You get bonus phages each level up, and an increasing bonus phages award every 5 levels. How do you beat the infection? Use your wits, and then execute your strategy. See what works, challenge yourself to succeed. Oh, and remember to right click for better bacteria positions. You can do this freely without penalty, and without it, the game wouldn't be much fun.

Please report balance issues, I am mostly interested in balancing the existing game, and then considering other feedback. World rankings are definitely planned, and will be implemented once gameplay balance is established.

Downloads:
http://www.guruchild.net/phage18.zip (~10.9 Mb)

Enjoy!

When you decide something is impossible, it becomes just that.
Greek freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 10:49
It was quite fun good job. Keep it up!

The problem is not if there isn't after-death-life. The problem is if there is no life in life!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 16:10
Very cool game! Simple but addictive.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Good Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 06:27
I need some help with balancing the phage types before I want to progress with the world rankings and such...

Anyone want to give me some feedback as to which ones they liked and which ones they disliked? Anything you have to say about this would be helpful, I can't seem to get any external feedback.

When you decide something is impossible, it becomes just that.
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2007 22:02
Very fun game you've developed here. Right-clicking to get a good shot with your phage is a bit tedious at times, but it's not enough to make me stop playing.

As for balancing the different phages, I think Bacto might be a little under-powered. I didn't really notice a difference between the spawn quantity for him and the spawn quantity for any of the others. Truthfully though, it can be hard visually to tell the difference until you've added probably 20% or more -- so it may just be my perception.

I didn't play much with the slow exploding or fast exploding phages, but I like the idea behind them both. The bigger exploding one and the preview one are both nice too.

The only thing I would suggest is to try to find a way for the player to face a more immediate challenge. You can easily win the early levels wasting as many lives as you want. If you do that then you don't feel the repercussions until much later when you have no more phages. A more immediate reward/punishment system might make the game more exciting.

That said, I still think this is an excellent game. Keep up the good work!
MadrMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 15:03 Edited at: 24th Jun 2007 15:04
Very fun

"Host body dies from Menigitis!"

Got 243830 score!

Suggestion > Render the text OVER the bacteria.. it gets hard to read when their all over it.
Suggestion2 > Add powerups?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 22:57:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 22:57:24