Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Windows Starfield meets "The Matrix" Screensaver!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 22:35
Hey all!
I was changing the settings on my screen saver the other night and was watching the windows starfield screen saver and wondering how they made it (yeah yeah shut up, im just like that :-P ) and of course i had it mostly figured out after a few minutes and decided to whip up my own... took like idk 10-15 minuts and i was quite proud of myself But then im like, hmm white dots... kind of boring, right? So i started using letters and numbers, and then im like, This needs some color! So i started using the green and then i had the brilliant idea of using different shades of green to give it more of a third dimention. Of course i started using the wierd symbols (the entire ASCII alphabet actually) and i ended up with what looks a bit like the matrix mixed with windows stars! i think its pretty neat and it only took me about an hour. theres no media so ill just give u the code so you can c/p it. If you want to use it as an actual screen saver but dont know how let me know and ill set u up

so what ya think??

PEH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 07:25
Not bad but I think they need to speed up as they get closer to the screen.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 12:33
Edited the code a bit.. btw, I think you should rather use user defined types than multiple arrays.

The characters get faster now, depending on their distance to the screen-center. To make it better you should make a sprite for every character, which becomes bigger while "flying" to the screen-border, that would be a good 3D-Effect...

Visit the DBPro - Speed up your game-Thread. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88661&b=1
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 23:20 Edited at: 13th Jul 2007 23:21
Sprites are good - if you draw your letters in a pure white or pure green then GET IMAGE, you can adjust the level of green by using SET SPRITE DIFFUSE.

Another edit of the code - cleaned up a little, and now using sprites covering all characters that are displayable (unfortunate that a large proportion seem to be squares ) :

[EDIT]Do you want this moved to code snippets, or left here?

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 23:58
Changed it a bit again, size is now also calculated.

Visit the DBPro - Speed up your game-Thread. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88661&b=1
Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 11:07
Here's my variation on it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 20:23:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 20:23:14