Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / how best to use newton ragdolls with animated objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 16:55
not sure where this should go, so I'll go for it here;

I want to implement ragdolls in my game using newton for enemies deaths, but i can't work out how best to actually do it with models that have their own bones and animation.

what do you think the best way to do this would be?

to have two objects, one as the animated object and the other as a ragdoll, and then switch them when the character dies, or can I apply the ragdoll at that moment, or to apply the ragdoll to the model on load, turn all the limb's gravity off and make sure the current rotation each limb is what the file's animation is.

any thoughts? I don't really know my way around newton that well, and the only tutorials there are only handle the ragdolls themselves, and no animation.

thanks for any help

Manic

I don't have a sig, live with it.
Manic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 19:33
done a little bit more research, looks like the best way to do it is to have a single ellipsoid for a character while they're alive, and then assign the ragdoll to them when they're dead, rotating the matrices to the positions of the bones in the current frame of animation. well, this is gonna take some coding...

I don't have a sig, live with it.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 20:31

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 08:29:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 08:29:38