Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Dark Basic Primitive Object Placer (Scene Edit)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 01:31 Edited at: 20th Jul 2007 01:03
See a later post for the source code!

Okay. This is a small program I made a while back that lets you place, scale, and rotate Dark Basic primitives (spheres,cones,boxes,plains) and load them into your games via the exported function. The exported functions should work in both DBC and DBPro. It's still a tiny bit buggy, but I still hope somebody will find it useful

After you're done placing all of your objects, you can save your overall scene. Once you do this, you will be able to load the scene at another time. Furthermore, the code required for the creation of that scene will be exported into a function within a text file, which you can then copy and paste directly into your program. No external media required.

Download it here: Here is the link

Screenshots of the mouselook mode:

And here's a shot from the editor:

And lastly, here's the function that gets outputted for that level (it looks confusing but just wait...):

Just run this code to look around my (horrible) level:

So really, all I had to do was write this in order for you to be able to view my scene:

Just for fun, I've colored all of the objects:

Download it here: Here is the link

Please comment and I hope someone finds this useful,
-Sixty Squares

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2007 04:28 Edited at: 16th Jul 2007 04:28
I've added some example snippets of what the output function looks like and what you can do with it (see first post)

Has anyone tried it yet? I'd imagine that semi-newcomers would benefit from it the most...

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2007 11:11
Looks pretty nice
Maybe you should consider adding some input fields for scale, position etc. though; sometimes one might need to have such things set to a specific angle.
Most definitively, I would also like to see a way to simountanelously (one of the few words I don't know how to spell ) scale the object in all directions; more than a few times it was a big bother to resize a sphere into a bigger/smaller perfect sphere, and most my cubes came out as boxes

But other than that, it seems like a nice object placer.
(Good work adding in the grid by the way).

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2007 13:52 Edited at: 31st Jul 2008 00:13
Thanks for the feedback

Quote: " scale the object in all directions"

This can be done by holding down ENTER and scaling on the X axis.

Quote: "input fields for scale, position etc"

Although you can press F1 and see your object's position and scale, input fields may be a good idea. I may or may not continue this project, so I can't gaurentee any of these things...

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2007 21:39
Thats just wow, this will be extremely useful, i've been trying to code something like this for a while

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2007 00:13 Edited at: 17th Jul 2007 00:13
Thank you I can post the source if you like, although it's quite messy...

Ben Johnson
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love the source for this program as I am working on a quick way of placing objects for my game and with a few alterations this could be it. Great program.
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 18:14
I would like it too, sounds brilliant

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 01:00 Edited at: 20th Jul 2007 01:11
Okay here is the source. However, I must warn you it's VERY messy and probably isn't the best way to go about placing objects. It is one way though . You can download the full project via the DOWNLOAD button. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 23:05:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 23:05:14