Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Multiple Multiplayer Games !

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 16:04
Hi there,

Does DBP allow us to create multiple game sessions (of the same game) on the same machine ? i.e. if I'm hosting I can call "create net game" unlimited times ? Or is it just once per .exe/machine ? If its only once that means I can't host 5 different game types on 1 server ? Without having 5 .exe's all hosting with different gamenames ?

Also - does PERFORM CHECKLIST FOR NET SESSIONS only search for 'your' Net sessions or net sessions in general ? i.e. if you're hosting 2 different DBP games on the same machine do you only get net sessions for the game you're running ? I would assume so !

I'm just trying to work out how to host multiple games on the same machine. Also, I did wonder if being joining can create games on a host, set up a private game session etc. but I'm not sure you can do this with existing commands.

Any thoughts welcome Thanks
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Just the fact your asking means I dont think youve tried the multiplayer commands out yet . I spent a good 3 hours setting up a client/server solusion (my fault) you should be able to get somthing working with 2 no sweat. go learn the multiplayer commands then try it yourself

The fact your can create a game with 250 people is way more than I need. If your thinking about making a multiplayer game, well thats a very big bit of cake. Maybe try to do a multiplayer 3d chat first so you dont waste your time.

Ive got broadband with 21k sec average if you wanted a typical no of users i.e. 2000 for most multiplayer games youll have 10.5 bytes a second per user. and thats if its efficient. I dont know how big a packet is but I recon thats not going to leave you with much space for actual information

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 16:32
Hi there, my note wasn't worded so well but I have used the MP commands, and I've already done the chat program route, and got it working (a good exercise!). Now I've got the basics together, (i.e. host a game, join it myself, get someone to join it with me) I was thinking about the future and how you'd run multiple copies of the game on a server, that type of stuff.. and if you could create a game on someone else's server (ala Quake3 on DC, creating private games), just looking at ways to cover all standard MP gaming options, making the game expandable. Getting the basics together was surprisingly easy in DBP, but then again I warmed up on the commands in DM
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
ah now I understand . dunno try it

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 17:46
Yup, I think a night of trial-and-error is called for

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:26:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:26:23