Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Newton vs Sparky raycast

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 22:47
Which is faster for raycasting? Newton or Sparky collision.

Its not what you know, its who you know.
thebulk71
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 16:49
newton is a wonderful physics engine, and it has a really good raycast system. However, whatever you make with it, you can't sell. Sparky on the other hand is pretty much royalty free (from what I understood, correct me if I'm wrong) and it deals with all sorts of collision issues easily.

Either way, you should base your decision on whether or not you want a physics package. If it's just raycasting you want then go for Sparky. I run hundreds of raycasts every frame and it has never been slow.

Some basics in maths and a little effort and you can do pretty much whatever you want with both choices. Also note that Sparky can be combined with Darkphysics (but don't use the Darkphysics raycasting it hardly works properly).

hope i was helpful.
Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 17:39
Quote: "(but don't use the Darkphysics raycasting it hardly works properly)"

It's always worked fine for me. You have to jump through an extra math hoop to get the vector direction right but after that, it never fails.

Get zParticle! An advanced particle system plugin for DBP!
Website and Download link!
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
@thebulk71 - You are incorrect! Newton SDK and the DBPro Newton wrapper are totally free. Check the Newton Physics SDK license here - you only have to put a Newton logo somewhere in your game and if you sell it you should inform Newton developers about this. But nothing more. And still not much of DBPro users sell their stuff so I guess it is not that hard for you to do this.

PentiumIV 1.60GHz, 256MB, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB, AC'97, WinXP Pro SP2, DirectX 9.0c (Feb2007), DBPro 6.6b
http://www.myspace.com/producerolby
http://www.olby.times.lv
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2007 17:28
Quote: "And still not much of DBPro users sell their stuff so I guess it is not that hard for you to do this. "

How sad

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-10 13:55:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-10 13:55:20