Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK.NET And ODE Physics Using .X Maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 17:35 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2007 22:54
Hello,

I have been playing around with the ODE Physics Plugin for the DGDK.NET and I was wondering if it is possible to use .x Maps and make the plugin use polygon collision with it so that you can actually go inside the rooms etc...

Any help will be greatly appreciated because the ODE Physics plugin is a great solution.

Thankyou,
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 22:57
Have you tried this yet? I ask because *.x maps (I presume are Direct X objects) should load and work (collision etc) like all the regular objects.

If I missed the boat here - ignore - but otherwise - your loaded "map" (I presume landscape or some sort of mesh to walk on (e.g. .x map) will work with sparky's dll and "Stock" collision as well.

As for ODE - I know not - but I read enough about newton to know that you need to place some sort of "physics" primitive to act as the "Surface". Making that "jive" with a landscape is one of the MAIN reasons I decided to use homegrown "sorta physics"

My tanks need to climb hills and the like - and I've yet to see a decent way to go about mixing "bumpy terrain" with a physics engine. I know it can be done - I saw a newton "car" driving demo - (seemed to have a regular matrix though - no smooth hills - so could be primitive tragles or something matched to the funky terrain) But I'm curious how you make out here because I'm not totally opposed to giving a physics engine a try.

Jason

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 23:12 Edited at: 19th Sep 2007 23:14
I did a lot of testing with the version of ODE for dgdk.net and I personally wouldnt recommend it. Its a partial implementation of the ODE kit, and as far as I can tell it doesnt handle convex or concave polygon collision (like what youre asking). Also collision bounds don't rotate with objects beyond their starting points. For basic stuff its ok, but thats about it.

Maybe its just the net version thats broken, I dont know.

If you need simple falling body Newtonian Physics then its ok I guess.

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 23:23
[side note] - CR - Your "Location"... "watching countdown to war with iran" - You think so? Hmm

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 23:24
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2007 01:37
for the record, I do not support the wars, but unfortunately they will be having a go at Iran very soon. My location has said that since april 2007 but it has been known for a lot longer.

now back on topic

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2007 02:17
Me either - just games - and speaking of - ODE is a bad choice - Newton gets really weird when you "toss" things - looks crazy sometimes - like a robot have a seizure at 2.5 GHz - Dark Physics doesn't work with DarkGDK yet - now what?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 11:10:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 11:10:15