Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Will X10 be the dowfall of custom media?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2007 13:45
With the extended use of bumpmaps and other shaders on FPSC X10 media and higher poly counts, not to mention higher res textures, could this ultimately mean the downfall of custom media. So far, most 3rd party model pack creators and external web sites (like turbosquid) either don't have the time or skill to bring such high quality media by the bucketload.(without charging hundreds of pounds) Maybe content creators will adapt to the change, but maybe they'll struggle to fill the high expectations of X10 owners.
This brings up another question. Will the current, lower quality media look alright in X10? Or does the entity need to match or exceed the capabilities of the engine?

Bioshock demo's out- Is AWESOME!
Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2007 19:17 Edited at: 27th Aug 2007 19:17
It kinda depens what kind of media and what for people are doing and using. In the end good art-directing can save and help alot without needing to use few thousand extra polys or detailed normalmapping.

BUT in case user is aiming to release his or her game to the public and make profit out of it, it is recommended to have a decent visual quality as well. "Good" graphics don't automaticly mean 3D models with thousands of polygons, huge textures and all possible shader and filther effects added on screen at once, but they have become more and more common especially in FPS-games, so people are expecting them more easily.

I have been "studying" and training 3D modelling, animating and texturing for a while now so that I don't have to use stock media or third party custom models. The shader effects and hi-poly modelling are the next steps I'm going to have to learn if I'm planning to sell my product later on. As always these things seem more complicated and harder than they actually are, so once you get the hang of things, things start to flow smoothly.
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 21:45
I agree...unless everyone gets z brush or 3ds max.

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 02:05
I don't think so. I think it would be better for custom media, because people with the ability to make high quality media would do so, and those who cannot will either continue making their media as it is or go back to stock. I think it will create a noticeable difference between experienced and inexperienced users, though.

Greek freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 13:49
I agree with Inspire. Although I believe that soon enough new engines of making objects and textures will be made into DX10. So no need to worry. But I believe that you can make some really good high-polly with today's engines like Blender .

The problem is not if there isn't after-death-life. The problem is if there is no life in life!
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 14:14
Hmm. I suppose I agree with you, Inspire. I guess it will seperate the more talented modellers from the rest. On the other hand, we may become too reliant on them for model packs, etc. Pure speculation, however. Hopefully we'll see lots more talent.

Join the pus in boots fan club for £39.99 a month and get a free T-shirt!!!
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 20:22
but then noobs like me can't make custom media anymore, hopefully people will release as much free media for X10 as they have for FPSC,
*Slayer_2

EOT
[img][/img]
Check it out here: http://eliteops.piczo.com/?cr=6&rfm=y
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 21:42
I think modelling communities like turbosquid and the like will eventually have to start making higher poly models for a similar price to the ones that they are making today. It's not that long ago that people were charging the same amount that they charge today for models made of only 10 polygons for DX8. Modellers will eventually have to step up their quality when better modelling software comes along.

[center]
The Join Button. Don't click it. It doesn't work yet.
Fruitless CRUNK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 04:59
Yeah I make my own media and I'm.......well I'm ok but stell learning(If you know what I mean). I don't wana haft to retake my classes to get my media to look good on x10. I might just sick with the media it comes with.

If anyone has Xbox live please add me to you're frinds list.
My tag is FruitlessCRUNK, but tell me who you are through a message.
Gooney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 12:15
Im actually a bit surprised that TGC is putting so much effort into DirectX10 already, we're at least a couple years from general adoption of Vista and Dx10 cards. Sure hard core gamers/hobbiests and most developers will be early adopters but lets face it, these arent your (as the game maker) actual target audiance, they, after all, have little tolerance for non AAA titles.

For at least the next couple years making completely dx10 games will almost certainly guarantee low sales, game makers will be forced to do dx9 and dx10 iterations for at least a couple years. Just look at the dismal sales of Vista only titles (compared to console/dx9), thats not a fluke.

Just take a look at Steams Hardware Survey statistics. http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

That said, it is a good time to start getting used to the capabilities of dx10 now, this also means that the new skills curve will develop more or less hand in hand with the greater over all acceptance of dx10 and Vista. Plus cheap dx10 hardware is available, and because dx10/dual-core IS the paradigm shift there wont be any big changes for a few years.

I use a lot of tools to help me make media, texture maker for instance, I expect a dx10 capable version will show up before too long.

None of that stuff really matters though, and lets be honest here. very few titles made with FPSC actually need everthing that Dx9 has hell most could probably be made with little noticable difference from dx7 stuff, hardly any models even approach AAA quality, but and heres the important thing... THAT DOESNT MATTER. Its all about fun, and bringing your vision to life, if you happen to learn something on the way that helps you make up your mind career-wise consider that a bonus.

So no, DX10 will not impact media creation for anyone other than those working on AAA titles already. The rest of us just need representations to bring our visions to life.

-Gooney
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 23:59
Quote: "but then noobs like me can't make custom media anymore, hopefully people will release as much free media for X10 as they have for FPSC,"

Why can't you?

Fruitless CRUNK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 01:26
Because X10 looks soo good that our stuff(walls floors trees) won't fit the layout of X10. It's just too powerfull.

If anyone has Xbox live please add me to you're frinds list.
My tag is FruitlessCRUNK, but tell me who you are through a message.
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 06:55
I'm sure the authors of the packs can go through them and add bump maps and then sell them again to us

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 15:11 Edited at: 7th Sep 2007 15:12
I don't think it will neccessarily effect us content developers too much. Just look at some of the X10 threads by RickV that show current media/segments in a DX10 environment...they didn't add anything, but DX10 makes the current shaders and textures look much better. Much of the bloom and other effects you see, aren't tied to DX10, as much of it has already been done with DX9. From what I've seen, DX10 gives us vast improvements on speed (frame-rate), instancing and other variables that will help the FPSC Developer come closer to realizing a title that is close to what you see on store shelves today (with a corresponding team to make it).

As far as raising the prices of content packs; it all depends on the amount of content, as well as the time it takes to create said content (above and beyond a pack generated for FPSC). Content Packs for engines like Torque are significantly more than those for FPSC (and you guys are still getting over for the amount and quantity you receive with an FPSC Pack) because there is more work creating LOD (Level of Detail) for each object, as well as other factors. If we were to charge you what actual Game Companies (like EA, Pandemic, Valve, etc.) pay; you'd most likely be stuck with either stock media, or making it yourself. Jake's new weapon packs (9 & 10), are way underpriced, for the work and detail that went into them...as well as the animations. He's worked on Playstation titles before.

When FPSCX10 becomes more mainstream, and you pick up your copy; try putting your current models/segments into it and see what the results are.

-Keith

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 19:53
I didn't think of it that way.So really, it's not how many polygons a model has, but how well supported shaders and effects are.

Join the pus in boots fan club for £39.99 a month and get a free T-shirt!!!
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 21:47
dim the lights a bit......personnally i dont think its a problem.
x10 sounds like it gives a lot more control over the actual game to help us when our imagination goes into overdrive.
im crap at moddeling and texturing, but when ive shown my creations to freinds......they like them ( well ....some of them).

the programmer formarly known as thicko.
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 23:10
first off my modeling is awful. I can't animate, bump map, specular map or even UV map! I have to use EW2 to make all my entities by adding my own meshes and textures Overall I suck at modeling,
*Slayer_2

EOT
[img][/img]
Check it out here: http://eliteops.piczo.com/?cr=6&rfm=y

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:49:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:49:29