Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Dark Physics issue - when I delete a rigid body, DBP doesn't get control of the object back.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 18:59 Edited at: 20th Oct 2007 17:21
I have a nasty issue in Geisha House. There are time when an object is a rigid body and I need to delete the rigid body and have DBP treat it like a normal object again. Say, when you pick up an item. This just wouldn't work, as much as I tried. It turns out that the bounding box was getting picked up but the object would appear to be stuck to the ground where you left it.

I'm not at my computer so I don't have a code snippet to post, but has anyone else had this problem? I've had to code a nasty workaround of using double objects for every item - a physics body and a regular object. This works fine, but seems like a gross waste of memory, especially when I decide to have lots of items. It creates an unecessary bottleneck.

Thanks!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 01:46 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 01:47
OMG, you're back. Welcome back Cash.

Hmm.. Try hiding the object or not.. I'm not sure, can you post a screen?

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 06:19
I had the same issue, but I was using primitives and finally just deleted and re-recreated for full control.
Maybe this needs to be bugged.

Ad Astra Per Asper
Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 09:30
Never noticed this problem until you mentioned it. The strange thing is that if you re-setup the object into a rigid body after you change its position, it will update to the new coordinates.

For those that want some code of the problem:

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why.
Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 15:24 Edited at: 20th Oct 2007 17:22
You're right on Kendor, when you turn it back into a rigid body then it acts right again. Problem is I don't always want it as a rigid body. I spent forever trying to debug my code, but no matter how I tried it my code looked right. This is a pretty serious issue for Geisha House. Thanks for checking it out.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 23:29
Cash, you'll be able to quiz Mike at the convention, you should get a result that way.

Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 09:17 Edited at: 14th Oct 2007 09:22
No problem, Cash. Actually I've been tinkering on it, and it seems that the only workaround is to use Offset Limb on limb 0 of your object. It is not the most elegant/practical way, but at least it works, and is better than using 2 objects.

Obviously, the best solution is to persuade Mike to solve the problem.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why.
Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 17:08 Edited at: 15th Oct 2007 02:45
EDIT: Wrong topic

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 00:40 Edited at: 20th Oct 2007 17:22
@Batvink -
Good idea, I'll definitely do that. I'll have a good example of it worked up.

@Kendor -
That's a cool idea, and would definitely be able to work in some situations. I couldn't really use it though. I have to be able to position an object in the player's hand after I've released it from DP's control. As far as DBP is concerned, it is in the player's hand. Even collision works as if it's really in the hand. However, it just sits there on the ground like it never moved.

@Agent Dink -
??

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 02:15
I think Dinky boy got the wrong thread - he meant to post in Vanity Corner

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep BatVink is right

culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 03:59
Looks like your average DP bug to me. I'm personally waiting for the update before I attempt to go any further with my FPS Base.

Where're the convention anyway? Unless it's in North Carolina I'd have to get a plane ticket... persuade my parents... etc... But I would LOVE to be there...

Anyway, you should just wait for the update unless you are restrained by a client's demands. Work on other stuff. Now, to slack off and play Halo 3 online... for uh... *cough* inspiration... of course.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 07:28 Edited at: 20th Oct 2007 17:23
@Agent Dink -
I figured as much. I've done the same thing before, some things can be pretty absurd taken out of context

@culmor30 -
I'm afraid that I can't wait. That's never my policy. I'd rather take three days to code a workaround than 3 months for a fix. As it is, I'm knee deep in a life altering workaround. It's looking pretty good, except for the 'life altering' part.

The convention is in England, of course Not the easiest place to get to. It was a pain setting up transportation from Germany, and I'm not even far from the place.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 15:18
Eh, I'd rather wait for an update than have to go back and re-work my code afterward. Whatever you wanna do though.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 14:06 Edited at: 20th Oct 2007 17:23
It's taken me days, but I've successfully coded a workaround. No more waiting necessary Otherwise my project would be dead in the water.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 01:13
Mind telling us? *is hopeful*
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 20:12
This is now fixed for the next release.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 20:45
Thanks Mike

@culmor30 -
I used a double object system - a control item and a visible item. I needed this anyway so that I could use normal mapping and shadow shading on the same item.

Come see the WIP!
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is now fixed for the next release."

Lately I've been seeing small whispers like this going around. I think DBP / some plugins are getting closer to an update

Warning: Please be advised. Geek Culture is under lockdown. All mods are set to Indi mode. Any and all topics WILL BE LOCKED. Post at your own risk!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 21:48:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 21:48:26