Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / [STICKY] DB Classic 1.2 NOW AVAILABLE!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 13:16
Well, you have heard all about it. Now go try it out!

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?f=upgrades

-Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 16:12
WOOOOO!

... oh wait I can't download anything til I get my new computer

oh well

WOOOO for a couple of weeks time

http://jamesmason01.googlepages.com/index.htm
viperjay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 17:17
Ron,

I was the first to post today .... on the other forum

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=115395&b=10

again thank you very much for doing this.

viperjay
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 18:01
well done viperjay... i hope you're proud but seriously why does it matter that you think you were first?

viperjay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 20:14
Quote: "well done viperjay... i hope you're proud but seriously why does it matter that you think you were first?"

demons breath, because you always remember the first one's that thank you

viperjay
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 20:43
well in that case, GMT:
11:16 - Ron announces it
14:12 - I say something on this thread
15:06 - You say something on the other thread

YOU LOSE FOO'

I'm sure it won't hugely affect Ron's life either way though... e's not particularly likely to remember either of us apart from, if we keep going on about this, as "those ****s who started arguing about who was first to thank me. Never talking to them again..."

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 21:09
You guys are too much

I appreciate the "thanks". With my memory these days, I'm luck to remember my OWN name.
So thank you for the thank you. Now go do something cool with the new material commands.

a.k.a WOLF!
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 21:12
Sorry for filling your thread with junk Ron... It wasn't that I wanted to be first... It was just viperjay's pointless oneupmanship that annoyed me. But yeah it's really cool that we've finally got a cool new upgrade... Thanks again Ron.

luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 03:14
Thanks Ron, I've already downloaded it and I'm testing out the new commands. I was scared it wouldn't let me download the new version
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 03:17
I downloaded it, and only found 1, very miner bug. On here, it is called version 1.2, on the defualt IDE (I went there to see the version, to make sure it worked.) it said it was version 1.14.... What does that mean? Typo?

viperjay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 05:13
demons breath,

Sorry to offend you, but wasn't ment that way.

viperjay
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 14:45
lol don't worry let's just stop hijacking this thread and let people use it as a means of praising Ron for his most marvelous efforts in furthering the field of DarkBASIC Classic programming

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 22:26 Edited at: 13th Oct 2007 22:38
@Ron

Hello,

I was testing out a few programs I had written in 1.13 in 1.2 and it seems that the fonts in 1.2 are oversizing quite a bit compared to 1.13.

The attached file shows a simple test using two fonts at the same size and running each in the different versions of DBC. The images are the results. dbc1_1_3 is version 1.13 result and dbc1_2_0 is the 1.2 result.

The example program included with the update looks pretty good!

Question, with the new light response commands, when loading a model as a D3D file, will the DirectX object material settings including emissive, specular, and diffuse affect how the object is displayed in 3d? Will the Alpha control in the material have any affect?

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 00:08
Latch,

There were some other minor changes that were done with DBC before I got involved. I'm not sure what caused the font size differences, but it happened before I got involved. There is some migration info that was written by Shawn from Starwraith for making the switch to 1.2 from the "official" 1.13. It was posted in the newsletter.

Quote: "Question, with the new light response commands, when loading a model as a D3D file, will the DirectX object material settings including emissive, specular, and diffuse affect how the object is displayed in 3d? Will the Alpha control in the material have any affect?"

The model is just loaded with default parameters. It doesn't pull any of rhat info from the .x file. Shawn also wrote up some info on the commands in his migration list:

Quote: "To introduce the enhanced and required functionality, certain changes are inevitable. Shawn of Starwraith 3D Games has shared his experiences of migrating to the new version of the language. His experience is invaluable to anyone making the same transition.

DBC is now compatible with Vista's UAC, so you no longer have to expect your users to run your program in admin mode.
DBC no longer requires the \windows\temp folder. It uses a folder named \dbTemp on the root, which Vista allows. It is recommended that you clear this folder and delete it when your application closes, just as a cleanup operation. The following code can be used to do this when your application closes:
sdir$=left$(windir$(),3)+"dbTemp\"
if file exist(sdir$+"_virtual.bmp")=1 then delete file sdir$+"_virtual.bmp"
if file exist(sdir$+"_virtual.dat")=1 then delete file sdir$+"_virtual.dat"
if file exist(sdir$+"_virtual.jpg")=1 then delete file sdir$+"_virtual.jpg"
if path exist(sdir$)=1 then delete directory sdir$
Font sizes are very different. What was size 12 in 1.13 is about 7 in the new version. It's about the same scaling difference for other sizes as well. You'll need to adjust all text size commands in your programs to the lower values.
Ambient lighting is no longer global for the scene. This is because every object now has it's own unique material to work with. To align objects with whatever ambient scene lighting you need, use the SET OBJECT AMBIENT command to apply the desired level to each object. A little work might be involved here if your project has a lot of objects (the project in question has thousands and it was possible to include new ambient commands in about an hour), but the trade off is much greater flexibility for the visual effects of every object in your scene.
Setting the ambient lighting value alone won't match up with the original 'brightness' appearance of your objects (especially below 255,255,255), so you'll also need to apply 'SET OBJECT DIFFUSE objnumber,rgb(255,255,255)'
The update has implications for the POINT(x,y) command. On most systems, it works fine. But on some systems, using the command causes a program to close back to the desktop. This usually occurs on systems with Nvidia 3D cards using certain driver versions, but it can also occur on systems with ATI cards. It is recommended that you not use the POINT(x,y) command at all to avoid any potential reliability problems and instead, use a memblock to retrieve pixel color data if needed. These commands are inherently faster in any case.
Following these pointers should ensure a smooth transition and open up the new functionality to enhance your games. "

a.k.a WOLF!
Muddleglum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 01:04
yes, an excellent effort.
Another small point. The 1.13 set object flag for 'full light' was over-ridden ( presumably) by the new ambient command.
I had to set the skybox seperately for ambient rgb(255,255,255)
It seemed to then appear as before.

but i must say the look of my rather sad Suzuki Liana ( for a top gear track ) is much better with that 'metallic' specular look.
It adds more life .. even though it shows up poor modelling! .

And the whole scene seems to have more contrast.

It is a slight pain about the text size, and the 'print' seems much more 'spidery ' to me as well. ... barely useable on a 1024 x 768 screen with any detail/colour and this is with the clearfonts on. though probably clearfont doesn't apply with DB .

but what the heck .. well done. david l.
Muddleglum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 01:11
I forgot .. for anyone who uses dark edit, and doesn't know, you can update the 'keywords text' file to show the new commands correctly.
I added them in , in alphabetical order though i don't know if that was essential .

regards . david L
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 02:17 Edited at: 6th Nov 2007 19:17
[EDIT] nov 6 2007
This function may not be necessary. Read down a few posts to see an actual fix as opposed to this work-around.

Quote: "There is some migration info that was written by Shawn from Starwraith "

Sorry about that Ron, I should have gleaned the font info from the newsletter.

I went ahead and wrote a function that may help. Where ever one would use Set Text Size <num> they can replace it with this function Set_Text_Size(size) where size is the point size you expect (the old 1.13 value). I tested it with a few fonts and sizes and it seems to have matched up to what the old sizes I expected were. It's not perfect, and courier doesn't come out quite right... Call this function AFTER you've set the typeface as it calculates based on whatever the current typeface is.

Quote: "It is a slight pain about the text size, and the 'print' seems much more 'spidery ' to me as well. ... "

It seems that even when you query the text typeface, DBC responds with SYSTEM, but the font look, size, and behavior seems to more closely resemble Arial. Keep that in mind when using the function - because the default text in 1.13 is much heavier and only if it is set to "Arial" (in 1.13) will it match in 1.2 .

If anyone has a chance, test it out and see if it works. It might save some time with conversions.

[EDIT] This has been updated

Thanks again.

Enjoy your day.
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 06:39
That's why the text in my program looked like it was different! I was thinking I accidentaly deleted a line somewhere or something and that's what had caused it. Thanks for the function Latch.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 09:46 Edited at: 6th Nov 2007 19:20
[EDIT] nov 6 2007
This function may not be necessary. Read down 13 or 14 posts to see an actual fix as opposed to this work-around.

Oops! I forgot one important piece to the function - the text has to be sized in 1.2 before it can calculate the ratio. Here's the updated function:

Enjoy your day.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 12:55 Edited at: 14th Oct 2007 13:18
Great, this will come in handy!

Edit: All my animations began to flicker and my specified fonts wouldn´t load, so I can´t use the upgrade. But those new light commands looked awesome!

WII number: 8220 5043 6939 7393
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 14:33 Edited at: 15th Oct 2007 14:41
woah this is taking a LONG time to extract
How didn't I notice this thread?!!!
Still extracting zzzzz

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 15:20 Edited at: 15th Oct 2007 15:36
What Am I supposed to do with the files?
Do I have to overwrite DB.exe?

It's OK I've got it working now
I don't have a .reg file or whatever that thing is.

I found a typo in your specular test

should be

is that right?

Awesome effect shiny

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 16:05
Muddleglum
...that name sounds familiar from way back

Quote: "Edit: All my animations began to flicker and my specified fonts wouldn´t load, so I can´t use the upgrade."

Odd. I didn't change anything that would effect those things. Perhaps it has something to do with the other font changes/problems that happened before I got involved.

Quote: " found a typo in your specular test"

That looks like a typo to me too. Oops!

a.k.a WOLF!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 23:30
@Ron
Now you can put DBC Version 1.2 in your sig

Muddleglum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 06:34
hmm.. yes i was here regularly a few years ago Ron.

been somwehat occupied elswhere, but still have a liking for dark basic classic.

tried the pro demo and found it had acceptable compile speed on my somewhat newer computer, but the exe's are too big to put on my web site .. so .. hmm oh well.

I will try to attach my first result of using the specular settings.
here goes ... it's my terrible liana heading towards the tyres on the top gear track. Maybe I will get the thing finished at last!

cheers . david l.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jmahmood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 19:13
nice work there Muddleglum..

The new DBC is just what we needed to make our games one step closer to reality.

Follow the white rabbit
BioHazard
Years of Service
User Offline
Thx...

BiO-HaZaRd
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 20:48
@muddlegum
That looks awesome

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 02:24 Edited at: 29th Oct 2007 02:25
Quote: "DBC no longer requires the windowstemp folder. It uses a folder named dbTemp on the root, which Vista allows. It is recommended that you clear this folder and delete it when your application closes, just as a cleanup operation."

Why doesn't it stick temporary files in the same place as dbpro? Presumably obtained from the GetTempPath api call. Usually c:\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\temp
Perhaps one day UAC will prevent writing to the drive root as well.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 17:48
This installation doesn't work for me - am I doing it right?

I'm overwriting all the files in my DarkBASIC (which I'd just got to work on Vista) with their newer versions from the 1.2 update but every time I try and run the program it says something along the lines of "Error: language file not updated" or something.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 19:08
Muddleglum,

Nice pic!

Quote: "Why doesn't it stick temporary files in the same place as dbpro? Presumably obtained from the GetTempPath api call. Usually c:\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\temp
Perhaps one day UAC will prevent writing to the drive root as well."

To be honest, when I was working on that part of the update, I was just looking for something that worked. You are probably right. Using that path would probably be a better solution. If there are any more updates in the future, I'll look at making that change.

Quote: "This installation doesn't work for me - am I doing it right?

I'm overwriting all the files in my DarkBASIC (which I'd just got to work on Vista) with their newer versions from the 1.2 update but every time I try and run the program it says something along the lines of "Error: language file not updated" or something."

To get 1.13 to work, you have to download the helpv110.zip file:
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?f=upgrade_language

The 1.20 update assumes that you are updating from a working 1.13 install.

a.k.a WOLF!
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 00:53 Edited at: 30th Oct 2007 01:34
Oh right cheers :S I'll try that then I just tried to go from 1.08 to 1.20 straight away. Looks like I'll have to do it all again

EDIT: OK We are officially GOOD TO GO! Cheers for the help and the actually working on this when everyone else has got bored and moved to developing pro or FPSC and the like.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 02:37 Edited at: 6th Nov 2007 19:21
FONT SIZE ISSUE

I think I may have tracked down the font problem.

Previously, one could setlect a font typeface with the command

SET TEXT FONT "name" alone. There is an optional parameter that I know I was negelecting most of the time. It is the character set. I think the older version of DBC just defaulted to 1 but now it seems it has to be entered. I was trying to change the font to system and it just wouldn't work until:

There is an example program that comes with DBC called "Checking for fonts" . I ran it and it didn't even recognize most of the fonts installed on my computer and it printed the examples WAY too big. I then went in and added ,1 to each of the SET TEXT FONT commands and it behaved properly.

So the format of the command is SET TEXT FONT "name",character_set

So far, I went back and tested a few programs that were using different fonts and font sizes and just added the ,1. Those programs worked just as they had in 1.13.

Enjoy your day.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 02:50
Great work Latch!
I will pass this info on to Shawn from StarWraith. I'm sure he will be interested to hear this. He wrestled with this problem for a while.

a.k.a WOLF!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 04:11
Latch: You have been promoted to AWESOME <<<

"You must be someone's friend to make comments about them." - MySpace lied.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@OBese87

(Wipes single tear of joy from cheek) <sniff> fir... first I want to thank my pet turtle scrumples... <sniff>

@Ron

Will this update give everyone the enhancement pack - whether they had it in the previous version of DB or not? Not everyone was able to download and install the last release because of the purchase verification process. The inclusion seems to be implied but I haven't seen it stated directly for 1.20 .

Enjoy your day.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 04:52
okay this is gonna sound really rude but its not meant that way for any reason.

If I'm correct 1.20 just has new light commands which don't really apply to me so is there something else or can I be fine with my 1.13 and enhancments?

Dr. Mannete- OMG It's Zombie's voice, it's so Suave!

Mioline
Years of Service
User Offline
Why don't I download the 1.20 patch? I need it. (I'm sorry, if the previous sentences are incorrect. )
Pixelator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 02:15 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 02:24
Quote: "my pet turtle scrumples..."

The one who smelled like gym socks?

Quote: "Will this update give everyone the enhancement pack - whether they had it in the previous version of DB or not? Not everyone was able to download and install the last release because of the purchase verification process. The inclusion seems to be implied but I haven't seen it stated directly for 1.20 ."

That was what i was going to ask...

ANGRY MOB!!!!!!!!!

[edit]

i just tried to install it but it took me to the v1.13 page. Help 0_o

Maryville Game Developers
Visit our website at http://www.freewebs.com/maryville-game-developers/index.htm
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 03:02
Sorry, but the new V1.2 update is temporarily unavailable.

There was a problem with the update which did not identify the existing version of DBC correctly so (as far as I know), a new installer is being created for it.

The new version of the update will be made available for download as soon as it's done.

TDK_Man

Pixelator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 03:19 Edited at: 29th Dec 2007 23:02
Thank you very much!!!!!!! V 1.2 is exactly what i need!!!!

[edit]

when will it be one ? Not to push you or any thing but im curious

Maryville Game Developers
Visit our website at http://www.freewebs.com/maryville-game-developers/index.htm
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 23:02
I love the new material commands!
Even cubes look good now

If there's going to be another update I would like to see the set object parameters broken down into separate commands i.e. SET OBJECT TRANSPARENCY etc. I can never remember what all 7 parameters are.

PS I installed the update and it seems to work fine, do I need the new version when it comes out?

Mioline
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got a question! (Again...)

Why don't you release the 1.13 patch? I need a patch, because my DB version is 1.0 and the display commands are not working...
Jeanie
Years of Service
User Offline
I have Dark Basic Classic and am using Vista Business. I am not able to get the screen from shaking when I am in the CLI and then try to run a program. Any suggestions?
Pixelator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 22:26
@jeanie

this isn't quite the right thread for this. you should probably make a new thread as i haven't seen one like it.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 21:00 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 21:03
Quote: "Sorry, but the new V1.2 update is temporarily unavailable.

There was a problem with the update which did not identify the existing version of DBC correctly so (as far as I know), a new installer is being created for it.

The new version of the update will be made available for download as soon as it's done.

TDK_Man"

So THATS why I couldn't find it in the downloads page!
Any clue when it will be done so that I can download it?

The Bunnies are coming . . and only one man can stop them.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 17:29
Anyone who wants the V1.2 update while it's currently not available for download can contact TGC support via email - provided they can provide proof of purchase.

I am aware that a proper installer which checks for a legitimate installation of DBC would be a lot more convenient, so I've asked for an update on the current position and will report back here when I know more.

TDK_Man

vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh I see, thats why I can't download V1.120 still like to ask has the glue objects command been fixed? as I would like to ue it for getting players and a.i npc's in and out of vehicles, tried it before with the 1.13 patch but that doesn't seem to work.

I am trying different ways on how to get in and out of vehicles and how to either use a key to get in or not , just a key to get out of the vehicle
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 03:55
So are you saying it was supposed to check if the DB version was 1.13 or would it install the full DB even if you never bought it!!!

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 15:12
@OBese: think it was the latter; it just installed the full version update whether you were using the trial version or the full version...

"A West Texas girl, just like me"
-Bush

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:44:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:44:17