Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / I just thought of something cool (Wind)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
To make wind seem dynamic and realistic. Do parallel raycasts that represent the direction of the wind to all wind objects, then if they intersect barriers, reduce or remove the wind effect, making in appear to block the wind. There are some other factors that would be necessary that would be hard to explain, but that's the basic gist of it.
Then you could be carrying a flag or something and when you run behind a building, it droops, etc.

Also you could drive a vehicle in front of it and it would appear to be diverting it.

Just someone obsessed with making games(this will be updated whenever...)
calcyman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 20:23
Good idea, but here's an improvement:

Make a windmap (similar to a heightmap but shows wind direction), before raycasting.

Your signature has been erased by a hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional being (a mod)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 23:12
please make post titles meaningful.

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "please make post titles meaningful."

Whats wrong with it?
'I Just thought of something cool(wind)' is a decent name!

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Like I said, there are aspects of it that would take too long to explain. Like the fact that wind 'curves' around things. But yeah. I didn't actually think of the height map thing. My idea was that you would set-up various wind entities with different strengths, directions, and areas in you home built level editor.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 12:27
Quote: "Whats wrong with it?
'I Just thought of something cool(wind)' is a decent name!"

It is now I added (wind)

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL Sorry. I was like "DID I type wind in parenthesis? I probably did."

I had no idea.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2007 17:47
sounds cool, but that would slow down any game really quick

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It is now I added (wind) "

Oh right
Sorry Batvink

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 21:15
it's not a problem. If you make meaningful titles, you get better responses, and the forums become more useful. Everyone wins.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 23:50
It depends on how much of the processor you want to dedicate to the wind. A wind map would be a nice option, similar to a lightmap. If your flag ended up behind a building where no 'wind light' was shown then the current wind velocity would be blocked, You could set up random wind, the end result at any point a function of the value of the windmap at that location.

In order to create a dynamic wind system, you'll need to do raycasting. Personally I'd combine the windmap and raycasting systems, that way you don't have to raycast if the wind is already blocked by a static structure. You will have to raycast from the wind source across the screen in its direction. If something has the ability to catch wind but doesn't recieve a raycast then its wind is blocked. The problem is unless you raycast a lot then you could miss objects and end up getting no wind when you should. And, if you raycast a lot then you'll bog down your game. If you try something absurd like trying to curve wind around dynamic objects then you shouldn't even bother starting your game.

At the end of the day, I think that wind is nice, but unless you're making a weather simulation you shouldn't spend too many resources on it. It's not going to improve the gameplay and very likely won't even get noticed. Games need to be an efficient approximation of something, not a realistic representation.

Come see the WIP!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 03:58
Well Said - Sucks - but well Said I so often want EVERYTHING IN THERE - then I see the FPS go WAY DOWN - So yeah - I'm with You Cash Curtis - you definately have to pick out the important from the not so important - then if everything is purring - add the extras - and its often a good idea to make them options to turn on and off for those of use less fortunate in available horse power!

I really like the idea of wind in a game - shoot - I have helicopters in mine and plan for a wart hog or two as well

(Wart hog is an airplane AKA TankBuster. Tough small simple plane - two jet engines - small - high survivability ratio - can take a licking and keep on ticking - at least (usually) long enough to get home)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 19:17:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 19:17:40