Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Creating Dynamic Mesh Strange Error

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 04:31
When I try to create a dynamic mesh in loop after pressing a button, I get this error:
Quote: "Trying to collide two pmap-less, non-convex, non-heightfield meshes: this is no longer supported!"

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 18:07
I think you can only have one dynamically generated dynamic mesh or terrain. Everything else will have to be a convex mesh or primitive rigid body.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 17:55
Even if it worked it would be excessively slow (which is why I'm sure support has been taken out). Unnecessary too, I'm sure, since almost everything dynamic can be represented accurately with a convex shape. As a matter of fact, boxes work just fine for most things.

Come see the WIP!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 20:14
Ahh, ok, thanks. Cash, I know you have physics for your objects in Geisha House, any tips on how best to do that? Is it best only to make them physics objects when you move them, but otherwise keep them as normal objects? I have one object that is a compilation of all static objects in my world, which I use for collision and made a static mesh, so how would I go about adding the moveable objects to DP in a fast and easy way?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 02:49
Static physics bodies are much faster than dynamic ones. They just provide collision and require no calculations for movement. Dynamic bodies require both.

I'd just try and be conservative. I don't change an object from a physics body into a regular object unless someone is holding it. Switching back and forth is fast but it wouldn't be so fast if you were doing it all the time. Something else to consider - when you're using a physics engine you have to let it keep control of an object unless you assume positive control of it, otherwise it won't look right. An example of this would be when I tried to cull physics bodies. If an object was off screen I'd force it to sleep. It's faster than deleting the body and saves resources. The engine will already make bodies sleep if they are under a certain velocity, but I wanted to squeeze out more performance. The problem was objects off screen could be in any state - I had lots of debris that would fly off screen and get stuck until you walked up to them. It didn't look good. It presents all kinds of problems. I'd say experiment with it, you might find a solution that works for you.

I use dynamic boxes for everything. Boxes are extremely fast, way faster than trying to use convex shapes for objects. Things look just fine as boxes, they fall and bounce and roll convincingly. I included sphere support as well but I rarely use it.

Come see the WIP!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 04:23
Great, thanks for the help, I'll try out those methods and let you know if I have any problems .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 00:40:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 00:40:08