Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Wood texture

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 03:16 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 03:16

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 17:24
If this is seamless or something actually "useful". You should get rid of the shadows. But you could still use it on objects like boxes or so.. But you need to handle the shadows yourself!

Click For Details!

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 23:39 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 23:41
Well, if you want to make seamless cool looking wood textures, i advise you check out this site and download the free software.
Wood Workshop
Wood Workshop

Here is a sample image i did in 1 minute

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 00:51
Quote: "If this is seamless or something actually "useful"."

No it's not seamless, and it is useful... a bit OT, but I would suggest using a comma to end that.
This is how I really intended it to be used; it just seems to me that no building is going to be structurally sound unless it has some kind of support beams, and this texture encourages them.

Quote: "But you need to handle the shadows yourself!"

o.O?

Quote: "Well, if you want to make seamless cool looking wood textures, i advise you check out this site and download the free software.
Wood Workshop"

Sorry... The apparent use of this program is nearly none as far as I can tell; unless I were to rip out the wood textures it already has, that may be useful. But the example you gave looks like it takes a wood texture, scales and rotates it for different boards, then uses a cheap bump map filter on it.

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 17:24
Not bad. The texture itself looks as wood, but it has some flaws:

- The shadow towards the edges shouldn't be there, it makes it unusable as, f.ex., a wall texture.

- The shadows defining the planks should be better, and you shouldn't be able to see that the texture simply continues on to the next plank. The game should handle the shadows, and not the texture itself.

- Since it's not seamless, it becomes pretty useless. You can't use a non seamless texture for a wall, but you could use it for a crate. However, a seamless texture could be used for both. And making a texture like this seamless isn't much work.

What program are you using?
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 05:20 Edited at: 30th Nov 2007 05:21
I'm using the GIMP.

Quote: "- The shadow towards the edges shouldn't be there, it makes it unusable as, f.ex., a wall texture."

In my above post I linked to this picture; perhaps that's not the most tactful way to go about things...

This was the sort of use I had in mind when I was creating this texture.

Quote: "- The shadows defining the planks should be better, and you shouldn't be able to see that the texture simply continues on to the next plank. The game should handle the shadows, and not the texture itself."

I got a few comments on this on another forum, and when creating my next wood texture I'll definitely try to keep these points in mind. I'm still not sure what it means that the game should handle shadows however--perhaps you're referring to the large shadows on the edges of the whole texture, but in this paragraph it makes it seem as if you mean the shadows between the boards. IMHO, it's best for the average machine if I try to do good lighting in my textures, and let the game handle vertex lighting on the object itself, and pixel lighting when it comes to actual shadows being cast on other objects. Once Vista becomes the common operating system I will have reached a high enough prowess in game development to accommodate enough of DX10's features to allow such runtime-handled visual effects, but as for now, it seems to me that it is best for both me and most average computer users that I focus my arts side to be "acceptable" and more heavily sharpen skills in engine design.

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 10:00
I must say, a person who actually can take constructive criticism! Hehe!

The game should handle the larger shadows. I was bad at wording that sentence. Anyways, right now you can see the shadows defining the different planks is simply brush strokes, and that is not good, and they don't even cut the planks from each other. (You can see the texture beneath the dark brush strokes, and in addition the planks should be placed differently so you can't see the tiling from one plank to the other.)

When it comes to the big shadows, this is something you'd usually do with a lightmap/shadowmap. You generate shadow and light textures that is added to the textures already on the objects in the level, creating static shadows without you having to create the shadows on each and every texture. (Which probably also means that you'll have to create less textures for your game.)

I must say, though, that the screenie there looks really nice.
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 23:02 Edited at: 30th Nov 2007 23:07
I suppose I should use automated generations of shadows on objects, such as generating an occlusion map. But I won't be able to do so for a while, seeing as I have not the required experience in any application that would support it. Until I can make my way through XSI without thinking about it—when I'm sure I'll be using occlusion maps a lot—I'll just continue adding the shadows to textures as I am creating the UV maps. It's the most straight-forward way, after all—requiring no setting of values or the like, and I can get just the results I want.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 09:48:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 09:48:31