Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 16:49
I don't really understand what PhysX is - is it a piece of hardware that you need in your computer to play DP etc. games, or is it something that can just be dowloaded off of the AGIEA site?

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 17:06
Physx is a physics sdk for c++. It lets your games or simulations have real time physics. Physx is generally looked at as one of the best free physics engines.

DNDK - Dark Newton Development Kit. In progress.
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 20:45
ah, ok then

Just wondering as a computer for sale that I saw said that it had an "Ageia PhysX processing unit card", does that mean you need that component to actually freely download the sdk?

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 21:38
no, the physX sdk works on any computer. But there is a processing unit (= ppu) that makes all calculations of the PhysX engine (= less cpu usage).

Some of the features of DP are only available if you have a PhysX card/processing unit.
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 21:54
As far as I understand it Tom there is no requirement to have a PhysX Physics Accelerator Card installed on your PC in order to use the PhysX SDK and most of it's physics functionality. It's just that without one all of the calculations are being done on your computer's CPU rather than being run on the PhysX card. As a result the overall performance is likely to be slower.

The PhysX SDK is freely available once you have registered with Agiea and can be used royalty free for commercial or non commercial games for the PC. The licence is available for viewing on their site. This appears to be a strategy on their part to encourage developers to use their Physics engine with the hope that this will boost sales of their hardware.

TGC's Dark Physics pluggin is I believe a higher level encapsulation of some of the PhysX functionality presumably making it easier for most people to integrate Physics into their projects.

I have the SDK myself but have been using ODE in my Dark GDK projects so far and have not had time to explore PhysX. It does however appear to be a lot more powerful and I hope to evaluate it in the not to distant future

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
pdq
Years of Service
User Offline
And it would be nice when TGC finally releases the new DP version utilizing the most recent SDK.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be nice if we could just use cylinder collision meshes...

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 16:21
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 20:44
Cool I understand a lot more now, thanks guys.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 08:05:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 08:05:13