Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / help me start please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 09:29
I am completely new with any of this game programming and want to start learning the basics of 2d game programming. i need any help with finding free recources and free programs that will do anything to make simple arcade games such as pong or something simpler.
I have no programming backround, all i know is how to use maya 6.5 at a grade 11-12 level. I'm only 13 and any hints about anything on 2d game creation will be welcome.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 11:49 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 11:50
The best place to start would be by looking at the top of this board. There are two 2D tutorial threads and a 2D principles thread. Then you could look over at the Newcomers DBpro Corner where you will find the Tutorial list thread.

As for free resources, you could click on my sig image for some free stuff or take a look at the Free Media thread.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 20:19 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 20:22
If you haven't done so already, you need to get your hands on a programming language.

If you want to create 2D games, but you would want to make 3D games in the future, I suggest you go for Dark Basic Pro:
Link Here

If you want make 2D games, but not 3D games, then I suggest you get PlayBasic:
Link Here

Either would make ideal things to add onto your Christmas Wish list!

When you have a program, you can use these forums, as Scraggle said, to browse through vast amounts of tutorials, help and free media.

(On a side note, Your not aloud to post your age on these Forums if your below the age of 18, for obvious reasons.)

Hope this helps!

umm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 09:31
thanks, those links have been helpful. I've decided that DarkBasic would be the best(tell me if im wrong) for starting out seeing that all the tutorials about 2d are about DB. And is there any other recomended laguages that are cheap and easy to use? im going to buy darbasics aventualy but as i wait t would be nice to leard the basics
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 02:08
Well mate you also need to learn how to draw if you're going to attempt 2D Games. Have you looked into drawing softwares?

Productivity on Hassassin has increased tenfold.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 18:40 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 18:43
You can use the demo version of Dark Basic until you are ready to buy the product.

You will only be able to use it for 30 days and your games will have the dark basic watermark on them until you purchase the full version.
Link

You could try the demo version of Play Basic whilst your having a go:
Link

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 12:05
Personally i would go for Play Basic if you are only after 2d games because it uses the DX 3 so you dont have to everybody to find and download the newest DX what can be very frustating to some ppl. Also its way more powerful with 2d stuff tha dbpro. Also the creator has started including some 3d stuff

Tough if you want to do 3d later or so then go defienatly with Dark Basic Pro or Classic.

Click For Details!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 10:02:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 10:02:52