Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Come on guys, take a look at the screenshot and tell me what ya think...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks in advance!
it's an alpha of Space Invaders but in 3d (of course).

Darknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 08:49
People dont reply because they know it kicks ass! Great job, I would say this is the one of the top games ive seen made in DB . Dont see how it could be any better.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 12:38
well shots look good, but still need to play the game...
if there's no playability....

Free Download for a Free World
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 16:16
aye gameplay is kind, but what I would say is that you could do more with the terrain - perhaps you've done it as a matrix so you would get major fps increase doing it as a modelled plain. A few more textures on it, some mountains in the background etc.

It's not really a complaint, just trying to find a suggestion

Pneumatic Dryll
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 17:50
This forum needs a wow smilie.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 18:02 Edited at: 18th Jun 2003 18:03
try this
can we download the game anywhere Draez?

---Mattman
"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done." Andy Rooney
Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 18:21 Edited at: 18th Jun 2003 18:31
Finally, some feedback. I was beginning to wonder if I was working on utter crap! Yes the textures on the terrain are being revamped.. it's just there as a placeholder. The demo should be ready to go once I get the menu system working. Having problems with switching resolutions on the fly via the menu system. Once I get that worked out it will only be a matter of maybe a week to polish up the rest. Sound is in, effects are in. Some people have asked to have the option of removing the "cockpit" which I will add in. I just thought the cockpit would immerse the player in more... but hey, that's one guy's opinion.

Full ver will have 3d sound and about 9 different worlds. Also, the invaders will attack in different patterns, etc.

If anyone knows a place that can host the download ... the file right now is currently a zipped 25 meg. I don't have a server to upload to except for my regular cable modem account, but I think they would be pissed if it started getting hit too hard. So if anyone knows a hosting spot i can put it up on when i'm done... please feel free to email me : bytecode1@hotmail.com

thanks for the kind words... least i know it's going in a favorable direction.

btw, i have a GF Ti200 running on a AMD 2100+ with 1.5 gigs of ram and it plays fine on my machine at 1024x768 and i havent even optimized completely yet. At 800xt600 it's amooth as silk... but you will see for yourself. Once I post the demo I would want metrics on people's systems so i can see how much detail i can get away with on lower end systems.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 22:39
25 megs zip file?????????????????
are you crazy? most user hasn't fast connection, 25 meg it's about 1 and a quarter of hour of download at 56 k ...
All user like me at 56 k modem will never download your game.

Try compact your media, use png at a very low number of colours, strong mp3 compression and etc...but i see you're a megalomaniac man, (you use 1024x768x24 resolution and you fix in a lot of grfx effects) ....your risk is your game play well only on your computer.

i think a good game run fast also on a mid spec PC.

and finally, i hope we can see the game completed.

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
25 megs is not alot, ermes.. most demos today of any game are well over 100meg. As far as trying to compact the media.. I will give it a try and see how it looks.. but I'm not sacrificing image quality over download size if it looke like utter crap. I will keep in mind that user's may only have 56k and will do my best to bring the file size down. BTW, biggest texture I have is 512x512 and even that can be lowered. I'll let you know how much it is in size when i clean house a bit. I'm going with worst case scenario when I said the file size as that's what it is now without cleaning any out. Keep in mind that in the directory are also things I am using on other bases in the game and they will not be in the demo either.

BTW, that brings up a good point.. what would be an exceptable file size for you as a 56k modem user? Let me know and I will do my best to meet or beat it.

As for your continuing doubts about finishing the game. The game is working, it's the menu system that isn't. I wish you would try to keep a more positive outlook. I'm not out to make myself look like someone who doesnt deliver on what he says. Haven'r yet, and don't plan to start. I started this project from scratch about a 1.5 months ago. It shouldnt take me that long to finish the demo.. the entire game however should be about another month away from when the demo releases as I am building the logic of the code to handle the different levels from the beginning.

Thanks for reminding me that not everyone has a cable modem.. i will work on the file size right after I fix the menu system.

- Draez

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 00:51
Average game demo nowadays is around 200 megs. The average modern gamer does have high-speed internet.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 01:05
The screenshots looks very nice and somewhat nostalgic obviously.

Only problem for me is I find it hard to tell what the gameplay is like from them. I hope that means that the gameplay will have such an original twist that I will be very pleasantly surprised when I try the demo!

Keep up the good work!

please visit [href]www.realitytwin.com[/href]
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 04:28
i would definitely like to have a go with this one
(i got a fast PC + broadband connection!)

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
Well for the demo levels all I can say that is different in gameplay is one thing.. as for the other "worlds" it's quite different from the original space invaders.

Thanks for the interest. Still struggeling with the menu problem but if worst comes to worst I'll let the menu only change the res at the beginning of the game. Just so I don't get caught up in a witch hunt about it and get the demo out.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 14:02 Edited at: 19th Jun 2003 14:05
draez, i would like to have positive outlook but you understand here there are many people promising great things, and they never have terminated one.
So, this is a forum, and i'm part of it,and i only suggest you to reduce size of demo, it's a game from db user, not a demo from microprose or sierra....I don't know for all of you, but here in Italy, only big cities have dsl or cable connection, in my zone, isdn 128k is actually the best.

this is only my opinion, i will be happy for sure when i'll see your game complete

i see you doubled your topic...

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
menu system now works... wooohooo. Now all i need to do is add some more effects and clean up the code.. then it's showtime!

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 18:00
hmm...i give it a 10 still looks confusing
gamplay finish now damnit...erm...plz

In our hearts and minds we keep the powers of love, hope and the hidden powers of evil in which we can mold a hero or daemon of ourselves-Book of Enoch Chapter III
the architect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2003 01:46
Draez

Interesting approach to an old game. I would love to play it proper. Looks very nice I have to say. Dont give it up.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2003 13:06
Just a thought for those without Broadband (HA), why not have an option to download the program as multiple parts...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
won't have to... i have the file size down to a little over 7 meg when i cleaned out all the crap from the directory this weekend (zipped) so that should make even the 56k'ers happy.

new picture coming tonight. i'm still on schedule for EOW release..

Thanks for everyoine's kind emails. Really goes a long way in pushing me to finish it!

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 05:21
Hey, that looks really good! Can’t wait to see how it plays.
Hurry up with that download

Asteroids name: Snaggletooth
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 19:53
Yes, it certainly looks good...

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
It won't just kill it, it would melt it down. Your computer is SLOW. the only thing I think keeping it running is the 256 meg of ram.

How do you live with a 350 mhz on a DESKTOP? Oh dear...*shivers*

~Morph
Owner of MultiCode.NET and Multi2k.NET.
Nothing is something, and something is then nothing. Life is an illusion.
Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 22:03 Edited at: 27th Jun 2003 22:04
lol, come on now. it's running pretty fast on my rig. i only have a GF3ti200... although I have an AMD Athlon 2.1 GHz and 1.5 Gigs of ram. honestly i dont know how you run XP with those low system specs.

Anyway, new piccie time.. check it out:

[img]
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ssain2/temp/invaders%202003-beta%20landscape.jpg
[/img]

still on track for the demo release this weekend. trying to get the menu system up and running but that might not happen. Rather than let the date slip though i'll just hard code the res to 800x600 with the option to manually change it in the registry if needed... or in an INI file. We'll see what time i have left by EOW.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 22:09 Edited at: 27th Jun 2003 22:10
Draez - if you still need somewhere to host the program, I think I've still got space left on my web site.

You'll probably have to split the file(s) into around 4Mb zipped chunks in order to e-mail it to me (if you want to that is).

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
MrTAToad - thanks, send me an email at bytecode1@hotmail.com so we can talk about the particulars

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
howdy all,
nope, didnt finish the demo by this weekend. i'm close.. very close but I dont want to "put it out there" when i'm this close and not have it buttoned up. Just a while longer.. maybe 3 days max. i'll keep ya's posted daily just for an FYI.

Again, sorry for the delay. Just fixing some minor graphical textures and positioning some landscapes in. this ver will have 5 levels. first level plays like the original. second level introduces a twist. and from the third level to the end of the demo it gets pretty friggin tough.

anyway, the full ver will have alot of other things.. like different types of gameplay and different locations (of course). That one i am charging for and only because of the sizable amount of time it's taken to get to this point (as you all know). Not much.. maybe $7-$10 USD max. Not looking to be greedy.. just looking to get something in return so i can take the wife out to dinner a few nights

In two weeks our whole team (at my real job) will be let go (including your's truely) so if you know anyone that is hiring in NJ-NYC area for VB programmers... give me a shout. Otherwise I'll be sitting around the house and have to do housework (bleck)

- Draez
bytecode1@hotmail.com

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 21:27 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2003 21:27
Invaders 2003 beta demo due out tonight or tomorrow morning...

more to follow...
that is all

Moggie100
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 13:58
Looks great Draez! - where can I dl it from??

& to all those peeps with broadband who take the mick outta 56k'ers - I say - we were here first!

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
download it from:

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ssain2/invaders2003/invaders2003.zip

it's a little over 9 megs in size. also, make sure you have a GF2/3 or higher as it's beta and not optimized for the slower systems.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:47:38
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:47:38