Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 2d game creators for non coders

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 00:54
Are there any true click and play 2d game creators.

Multi Media Fusion and game maker dont seem as user friendy as Id like, some will say these are a breeze, well I dont think they are a pick and go program at all, in fact I now so, I even put money for users from those comunities to take my artwork that I had loaded into these programs and make the game for me, 6 months later no game, and these where only a Battleship and Bejeweled clones, whats available for 2d, in 3d non coder perhaps could use the very simple fpsc but what about 2d for the non coder, what are the options that really allow drag and drop editing to make any kind of 2d game.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 02:06
Drag and drop doesnt really result in anything better than pac-man on average. Game maker can bring you into the world of 2d, and then you can switch to darkbasic. Its what i did except i didn't switch to darkbasic, i use game maker coding (GML) which i think works just great! But since this is a tgc forum I suggest you get DBP to make kick-(butt) games.

The Fluffum War - Multiplayer Demo coming soon!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=115938&b=8&p=0
Code Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 19:33
Honestly, you're probably not going to find a "click and play" Game Maker, at least not for general 2D games... More genre-specific ones, like RPG Maker, you'll find, and even those you'll have to do some coding in.

My suggestion, like Zeke, is to get Dark Basic and learn to program. You'll get a lot more satisfaction out of completing a game that you've programmed yourself. And you won't be restricted by genre-specifics, opening yourself up for FPS, RPG, Realtime Strategy, and anything else you can think of (although your best bet is to start off simple and work your way up).

~Code Ninja
of Dragael Software
and Smith Comics
Hippie Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 23:26
just dont expect to get dbpro and create games right away.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2007 13:09
I'd also suggest DBPro, but if you are really looking for a non-coding-game-editor you might have a look at this video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=D78WXDvkPgE

I'm not sure if you can make anything else than platformers with it, and if it's even possible to make fun games with it.. in fact I don't even know if this editor/engine is out, or if it's freeware etc. As standing in the description you might find more information at GarageGames.com.
Good luck, have fun..

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 00:33
Mr Kohlenstoff -I have looked at Torque, cant say I'm a fan of it.

For those that say learn code, nope bad idea, its more efficient to pay someone to code if that's what you need to have done. Though I have learnt a lesson, don't try and do it on the cheap, pay the top whack and get a professional with prior published game releases, in the end you save money rather than waiting 6 months and having some dabbler not do the job and throw in the towel and having no game done or bits and bobs that someone will have to pick though. I have had that happen 3 times and its very annoying to say the least.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:57
Quote: "pay the top whack and get a professional with prior published game releases"

Ummm...some of us actually enjoy coding...

It's obvious that you're making games as a hobby, which makes hiring a professional to do it for you completely pointless.

asdsdfaghkdlgahdfkj.
n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 03:01
Why in the hell would you hire someone to make a game for you if it is a hobby???

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 03:55
Why in the hell would you asume its a hobby???

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 04:34
You are on an indie developer's forum requesting a point-nclick 2d game maker?

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 05:19
^^

What he said.

asdsdfaghkdlgahdfkj.
aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 02:57
im going to point out, if you cant use multimedia fusion you cant make a game. There is NO good game you can make with a non coding game maker.
Also no one is going to make a game for you just cause you give them artwork.

alus.portbb.com go there.
Quote: A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes -zenicanin14 the 2nd stupidest user in the world
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 06:30
Lol @ n008.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 11:19
So, fallen one, if its not a hobby then its your job, right?
Jobs usually go hand in hand with some kind of education, but yet you tell us that learning to code is nonsense and you ask for a 2d click and play kind of gamemaker. . .

Bet you're going to make loads of money!

(That's what you're clearly after, though. Making a good amount of money with the least effort to put in... Ahhh.. don't we all dream? )

(Ploughing through Hands On DBP Programming Vol. 1)
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 09:32 Edited at: 14th Jan 2008 09:34
Quote: "Are there any true click and play 2d game creators."

...The Games Factory is actually not bad. It's on version 2.0 now, and it's very much worth taking a look at.

Lee Bamber actually created the tutorial games included with the program, and is listed in the credits.

Widow 13 - Coming Spring 2008
Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 09:52
I saw there was one at RTSoft.com, but I didn't read much about it.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 21:24 Edited at: 14th Jan 2008 21:24
you mean this, direct link here
http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 01:45 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 01:46
...uh, you're welcome fallen one.

Widow 13 - Coming Spring 2008
Zorek
Years of Service
User Offline
i have used game maker for a long time now and i say code makes better games but it's harder to use. duh

but gamemaker is still good and worth downoading. especially if you're new to game making. that was the furst game program i ever usedand i think it's good.

all for me and non for all!!!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2008 14:16
It's easy for coders to scoff at game creation packages, but really we all have to start somewhere. I actually started coding, then discovered SEUCK (Shoot-Em-Up-Construction-Kit), which let you make vertical scrolling shooters with your own graphics, sounds, levels, even title screen fonts could be edited. I loved SEUCK, it actually got me hooked on game development, so much more fun than Speccy BASIC .

I've been thinking recently about the DS, and how freaking huge a game creation package for that would be, even old SEUCK would be great on it - imagine everything built in, drawing and animating sprites with the stylus, then wirelessly upload your game to a friends DS so they can play it. It could even spread onto different genre's, one cart for shoot em ups, one for retro RPG's, one for horizontal scrolling platformers.
Something like that could open up people to game development just like SEUCK did for me 20 years ago.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2008 12:06
SEUCK (Shoot-Em-Up-Construction-Kit), some guy released a new version of this, its not by the same company as the first one, I remember seeing one going on ebay recently.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 09:19:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 09:19:28