Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Boat - Rigid Body or Vehicle?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 00:16 Edited at: 11th Jul 2008 02:31
Im Making A Little Boat Game (Well Not Really A Game Im Just Exploring) and I Was Thinking, Should The Boat Be A Rigid Body or A Vehicle? At The Moment Its A Rigid Body, But Do U Think A Vehicle Would Be Better??

Cheers Tv.

Edit : Download Here

lava man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 02:27
i am not sure but when i did it i used the boyency tutorail and made the boat a rigid body i never tried it as a vehicle.

Tv Xxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 20:04 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 16:09
Yer As I Say, Im Currently Using A Rigid Body, But Thought Maybe A Vehicle Could Make It More realistic.

Yours

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 20:43
um...what water shader are you using? Is that using a double camera? Can I play with it? I'm not making a boat game There might be a boat - but not a boat game.

Tv Xxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 21:09 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 16:10
Yes Its Using Double Cam, and It's Full Of Bugs Atmo, But There Is A Download.

Download Here

Yours

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 21:11
Fair Enough. (I personally am trying to avoid the double cam stuff if I can .. but for reflections - I might HAVe to )

Thanks Though

Tv Xxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 21:12 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 16:10
Yer I Found It Looked The Best, Although It Does Look Rubbish From Certain Angles.

Yours

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 17:14
I've played with that shader (if its the one I'm thinkng of) and it DOES look awesome - just double cam and shaders kill my FPS something horrid - lame PC - but in a way its good as I really try to keep using techniques where my slow machine will run the game ok - therefore other machines - should do awesome - in theory

That's why I'm straying from double cam stuff - but I should probably in the end add it and make it an option - like NO SHADERS, SHADERS, Advanced Graphics etc.

I'm still looking for a decent CAUSTICS shader and a DECENT "texture a plain and it looks pretty decent" water shader.

I found one that does cool waves - but from far off - the color "rainbow" it wiggles only covers a portion of the plain - and its rather blank in other parts. the parts where you see color variations look AWESOME - but then you hit parts where you can't discern the waves becuse there isn't enough contrast between UPwave color and a "down wave" color.

Maybe I'll try tweaking it some more now that I'm starting to get a SMALL incling about how they work.

Tv Xxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 15:58 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 17:54
Ok,
Jason P Sage, As You Requested A Sample Of What I'm Doing, I'm Afraid It's Not Great, But It'll Do Mate.

Attached Is A Source and Media. But The Exe Included Is Wrong So Open The Source and Compile A New One.

Yours

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 17:03
Thank you, code is concise. I Don't have DarkPhysics (Waiting for DarkGDK version). I need to wait for updated exe or just wait until I can compile it myself some how.

Tv Xxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 18:07
Oh Soz Jason Didn't Know You Didn't Have Dark Physics. So I've Reuploaded A Working Version Just For You Lol.

Download Here

Yours

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 18:15
Awesome .... SWEET... I managed to get boat to point STRAIGHT DOWN into water and balnce by pure accident... then I did reverse and it floated backwards up into the air - hit the skybox TOP - then cam tumbling down. Boy - Physics does make for some fun... slamming and bouncing off stuff etc... WAY COOL. Thanx for the EXE - I'll ref the code more when I get Dark Physics as that is a nice working example.

Tv Xxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 18:19
Yer It's Kinda Buggy But I'm Getting There, Glad You Liked It

Yours

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 18:53
DUDE! Don't feel even a little bad - what...was that like 100 lines of code? Jeesh... I was impressed. It was Great! You toss some "water rooster tail" and "foam" , skin the boat, some pylons or guns... you have a fun head to head multiplayer in the making!

(Guys who don;'t know - that first screen shot shows this unskinned boat - from behind - so it looks like a funky egg... but once you see it in motion from various angles - its a pretty awesome little boat model!)

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 05:36
A little off topic, but jason p sage - When using multiple cameras, try multiplying the sync rate by the number of cameras (ex: 1 camera, sync rate 60, 2 cameras, sync rate 120). It's a DB bug with rendering multiple cameras - it counts the renders from the other cameras into the main camera's sync rate. If you still get bad performance you could try to only update the reflection/refraction cameras every few loops.

Vote today and play the games!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 06:01
Tv Xxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 03:56
Hi Everyone,
Although Deciding To Use A Rigid Body, I Now Have New Problems, The only One I Really Need Help On Though Is The Camera.
The Camera I Mean Is The One Which Follows The Boat. I'm Using The "Set Camera To Follow" Command, and It Works Fine Till My Object (The Boat) Is At A Certain Angle, As At This Angle The Camera Spins In The Alternate Direction. So Any Help Is Welcome

Note Download In First Post.

Yours.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 04:51
I've think you graduated to the point where you might consider writing your own Camera to Follow so you have more control on how it behaves.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 00:28:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 00:28:51