Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / [DarkGDK] Framerate limited to monitor's refresh rate

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 00:17
In DarkGDK, any application made, when sync rate is set to 0, the frame rate is related to the refresh rate of the scren, so speeds will not excede 60 or 70 fps, unless the application is minimized, in which framerate will go past that of refresh rate.

Here is a simple code to test this.

To anyone who thinks that a framerate that excedes the monitor's refresh rate should know that, Even if the application is faster, it still will not display more than the refresh rate but it can still perform more actions in a set period of time allowing a game to actually run better on faster computers, versus having it be forced to wait a period of time so that the application actually only does 60 frames per second.

Please fix this, as this is the only major problem I and other have with DarkGDK, If this can be fixed, then GDK will be truly faster than DarkbasicPro, but at the moment I can make an app in DBPro and have it still in a sense, outperform GDK.

Making dreams possible, one line at a time...
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 17:41
i get the same thing with DBPro when it is in full screen. when its windowed i get 400fps in my new First Person Shooter
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 22:10
Yeah but there is no way to disable the V-Sync, unless you want to do it at your graphics card level, which should not be the method we should have to take!

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 23:53 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 23:54
Using 'dbSetWindowOff', I can get above 60 FPS, although this command might now be what you are after.

Thanks BiggAdd!
common people are walking in line.
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 09:43
I disabled vsync in my NVidia 6600's control panel ( Force Off ) and it still caps at 60 for me.

tried putting a fourth param in dbSetDisplayMode:
c:\programming\dark gdk\projects\test1\test1\main.cpp(41) : error C2660: 'dbSetDisplayMode' : function does not take 4 arguments

Inspirational Music: Descent ][ Redbook Audio CD Soundtrack
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 16:18
bump, using DGDK for my dissertation, can't produce very effective results if the FPS is still capped Could you please fix this. Preferably before my project is due hehe

4th paramater of dbSetDisplayMode() doesn't work for me either
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 03:15
You can use a workaround I made

Which basically, tell DGDK not to sync everyloop and when it does sync, that when you alter any thing that needs to be drawn to screen for example, text or sprites

Rus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 13:28 Edited at: 13th Mar 2009 13:32
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the comments on the framerate of DarkGDK. It's the only thing that stops me from switching my main development platform to DarkGDK, especially seeing as so many plugins now work in DarkGDK too! Hope it gets fixed soon! *crosses fingers*

Edit:
@kaedroho
Quote: "i get the same thing with DBPro when it is in full screen. when its windowed i get 400fps in my new First Person Shooter "

I just reread your post. I get the same thing, but only in full screen exclusive. I wonder if there's a connection between full-screen exclusive mode and this locked frame rate.

http://www.murkymedia.com
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 18:46
I'm glad this has finally been Confirmed. I would have switched to DarkGDK 3 years ago if it weren't for this bug.

Nightmairs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 20:10
Any of you guys developing on Dual Screen Systems? if so that may contribute. i did some testing and in window mode if the screen crosses even 1 pixel over to the other screen the frames drop. also if i disable the second monitor the frame rates go back to normal, i think in fullscreen mode even though its showing full screen i think it may still be attempting to render on both.

Im still looking for a solution, although im tempted to just return to dbPro

-= I am the Alpha and the Omega =-
taylor design
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 03:12 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 04:11
Only this works for me:

> 3700 fps on my vid card (just black screen with backdrop on)

dbSetWindowOn();
dbSetDisplayModeVSync( 1024, 768, 32, 0 );
dbSyncOn( );
dbSyncRate( 0 );

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 19:48:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 19:48:39