Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / A Few Questions...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 04:01
Hi, I have a few questions about FPSC X10 and Vista I would love answered before I bother forking out the cash for this upgrade. These are questions that can really only be answered by someone with Vista and FPSC X10. Well here goes:

1. Is Vista Basic any good? Will my old programs work, like Norton Anti-virus and Fraps? I don't care about the eye candy or anything, just that it works well and with FPSC X10. Also how easy is it to install? BTW, I've never changed my OS before. Whats new that Vita brings to the table?

2. Is X10 worth it. I'm looking at over $600 to upgrade PLUS Vista and FPSC X10 itself. Opinions will differ largely here so the more the better. Maybe a five star rating would be a good idea compared with a five star rating of FPSC as well.

3. Are there really 3D particle effects for the muzzle-flashes, blood and other things: fire, smoke, etc. I don't want the lame old decals.

4. Is the AI any good, FPSC's AI was awful, when it worked at all. I don't want another game with a few guys occasionally taking potshots at you.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
*Slayer_2

[img]
[/img] Check out the Elite OPS Terrorstike thread in the showcase.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 04:22 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 04:25
1. You really need to get on a Microsoft board to ask about support and compatibility. I will say that both Norton and Fraps support Vista. For features...http://tinyurl.com/yqrl9k

You really need to try Google.

2. No one can answer that for you. Comparing X10 to X9 is apples and oranges. Suffice it to say that I haven't heard of anyone wanting their money back.

3. As far as I know, there are no particles. But I haven't really looked into it.

4. AI is improved, but far from perfect.

Truthfully, from the way you've phrased your questions, I think you should wait until there's a demo version that you could try out. Also, it doesn't sound like you want a 1.0 version, which is what this is. It's not a 1.08 of FPSC, it's a 1.0 of FPSC X10. For me, I believe that this product is on the right track. I've planned for about 1 year of development, so I'm okay with some bugs--knowing their will be an update long before my game is ready.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 04:48
Quote: "3. As far as I know, there are no particles. But I haven't really looked into it."
So do you have X10? Or are you guessing. I almost never use decals in FPSC because of the the fact that they are obviously 2D at close range. Google answers some questions but sifting for the right answers is difficult sometimes. Usually I find some random topic on some random forum that isn't what I'm looking for .It's sad, but beside the save and load and some bug fixes, I still prefer V1. And I usually expect a well polished engine, not flawless, but not buggy either. A few bugs are OK but really, if you actually are fine with an engine you pay for being filled with bugs, even temporarily, then we have different views.
*Slayer_2

[img]
Greek freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 14:04
1. Vista: Installing very hard and it might not even install: At least it didn't for me ccause there was a problem some hardware and I had to change it... Vista currently isn't good. Another problem I have with it is that I can hear only 2 of my 5.1 speakers(with xp there was no problem of course). Battlefield2142 playes in half screen and no widescreen and there is a lot of incompatibility.
2. It is!!! (The only con is that it needs vista) but it really is the best right now...(My opinion of course)
3. Don't know
4. Well it is a lot better than FPSC for sure. Until now I have no complains at all about it...

Hope I helped

The problem is not if there isn't after-death-life. The problem is if there is no life in life!
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 16:18 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 16:18
Thanks Greek Freak. You helped a lot. If you ever feel like it, you could easily test to see if there are particle effects by butting down a fire effect in a level and then walking into it to see if it is 2D or 3D. If you ever have time would be very grateful if you could test it out for me.
*Slayer_2

[img]
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 16:24 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 16:25
Quote: "So do you have X10? Or are you guessing."

I have X10. But unlike most, I've been spending a lot of my time on game design, cutscenes and assets (entities, segments). I make levels just to test out theories on puzzles and traps. Well, and for fun once I made an army of my robots verses the stock X10 robots. And of course mine won!

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 16:43
Yeah because the stock were unarmed Well If I got X10 I sure wouldn't do anything except test out the rag-doll and stuff until I got bored

[img]
alimpo83
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I think it hasn't got any particle effects like in the videos and the tech demo. That I don't really understand, or i'm doing something wrong. By the way, the AI is much better and the ragdoll gives the extra realism to your fights. Never more the same old animation of the characters falling!
Take a look at this screen. Some characters, none fell the same way.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 16:15
BTW, smoke1 and steam1 are particle effects according to Lee.

[img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 02:01:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 02:01:17