Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / will i get better at this?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

if i read and or do tutorials people do will it help me improve with game making....
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 13:37
Yes.

You should see tutorials as practice, it's rare to actually stick with the techniques you learn in tutorials because everyone has their own way of working - the important thing is to know how to do specific things, then when your drawing or modeling something you can use the techniques learned to get your own results.

I find that the best way to learn and improve is to learn the software, mostly through experimentation, but when you use a tutorial, try and always understand why your doing something, don't just plough through learning how to do 1 particular thing. Tutorials can introduce you to features you might never have known existed.

As for expanding in game development, well I'd say you should try and keep learning new things all the time, take on lots of small projects that let you experiment with ideas. Do you have a destinct game or something that you want to achieve? - if so break it down into small chunks so you can see what skills you need before trying to accomplish it.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 06:51
A good tutorial will take you step by step through a task explaining what to do and why - pointing out some of the things to watch out for on the way.

A bad tutorial is no better than the help files - only telling you what a command does along with the syntax used - and often getting that wrong in the process!

Tutorials do all the thinking for a particular task for you and as long as you select the tutorial which covers what you want to know about, it will tell you what commands are best suited for the job.

As it's a learning process, you can then concentrate on how it all works.

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 12:14:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 12:14:42