Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Physics in my game!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone....ive been workin on ma 3D snooker game for a month now. As far the functionality goes, i put balls in it and applied materials to it. My white ball is able to go in 8 directions namely Positive Z axis, Negative Z axis, Negative X axis, Positive X axis, and their repective combinations whenever i press a key. Actually the direction keys determine the velocities, and they are all static. When the whiteball hits other balls, it definitely bring all of them in motion. I put around 6 deflection boxes with the walls so that all the balls should deflect when they collide with the walls. I presented the project but the examiners called it incomplete, and the reasons they gave were are as follows:

1). First the velocities are static, they said that they should variate as the keys are pressed, like a power gauge or something and user should have the control of it.
2). Second the balls couldnt be target.
3). The balls arent getting pocketed.
4). The White Ball wasnot coming into rest after colliding, was taking ages.

They said they will accept the project if i put all of these things. So keeping that in view is it possible for me to implement all those things that they said, and How can i let the user change the values of velocities, pocket the ball, and making the white ball come into rest because it keeps on spinning!.
I really need help in it, kindly guide me....
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is I approached the same issues in the game I submitted to the software Physics comp a while back.

http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=physx_09

Help your self to the power gauge, pool table( with pockets), cue etc.

I also had o hell of a time getting the balls to stop moving.

Hope this helps

Cosdger

p.s. Let us know how the grade you

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
solid snake21
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey man thnx for the help...and ya tell me, if i need any kind of help, where can i contact you, i hope you wont mind!!!coz as soon as i finish this game, ill get ma Bachelors Degree..., thnx again....
solid snake21
Years of Service
User Offline
And ya, how much time did u guys take to complete this game???
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
It really did not take much time to get the basic concept down (guess 20 hrs) but to get Dark Physics to react they way I wanted took a long time. I Have considered making a material test program that would allow for slider type control of the material properties in order tweak the values.
I am getting into Dark GDk and once Dark Physics is ported over (later this month) I may try to make a Material properties test program to allow for easier tweaking

You can usually contact me through this forum, beside if you post specific questions here there are a lot of people who would love to help

Codger

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
solid snake21
Years of Service
User Offline
I was goin through ur game,the functions SpriteString, SpriteNumber, Powerbar all have different purposes definitely. I just wanna get an overview that what SpriteNumber function is actually doin, and whts SP in Powerbar function?...apart from this you have used CREATE BITMAP and sprite commands, why exactly?
and ya sometimes the cueball goes out of the table, how should i control that?

ThanX
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 00:11 Edited at: 21st Jan 2008 00:12
solid snake21

The purpose of the SpriteNumber Function is to use a sprite instead of writing text to the screen, it is far more efficient. If you have a score board once you change the score and update the sprite you do not have to update the text every frame as you would with standard text code. However in this program it currently does nothing and is just a function I pasted from my library and never got around to implementing (Sorry for the confusion)

Sp in powerbar designated the Sprite and image number if you wanter multiple powerbars you would assign each one their own number.

I create separate bitmaps so i do not write on the existing default bitmap. For instance if I need to create a text sprite on the fly I do not have to save the existing graphics clear the screen and re-drawn the original graphics.

As far as the cue ball going off the table, this does happen in a real game and is a foul. I admit that it happens too much in my demo. Limiting the amount of force or the angle of contact may help

Codger

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 14:40
Quote: "I may try to make a Material properties test program to allow for easier tweaking"

It's a good idea, but harder than you think. I tried to make a generic program for doing this, but there are so many dffferent parameters that rely on others that it becomes hard to track.

I'm not saying it's impossible, and I encourage you to go for it. Just don't expect a smooth ride! It gets harder as you try to apply it to different Rigid Body types and create interactions.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 02:50
Quote: "coz as soon as i finish this game, ill get ma Bachelors Degree... "

You gotta be kiddin' me!

What exactly have they taught you while studying for the past three years?

No offence man but this is pretty straight forward stuff, time consuming trying to get the properties of the materials and dampening etc but straight forward none-the-less

The Sun is trying to kill me!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 03:13:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 03:13:48