Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / DBOConvertBlockToObject : Any idea what it does?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Was looking through the exports for DBProBasic3DDebug.dll and came across two entries that looked interesting:

bool __cdecl DBOConvertBlockToObject(unsigned long,unsigned long,struct sObject * *)

and...

bool __cdecl DBOConvertObjectToBlock(struct sObject *,unsigned long *,unsigned long *)

Anyone have an idea what these do and how they might be used? I was hoping to find some DBO/Memblock functions that weren't documented. Didn't find anything obvious, could this be related though?

On a side, but slightly related note... does anyone know of a good reference for the DBO format that might be a bit easier for a .NET programmer to grasp than C++ header files?

Design documents?!? What design documents??? I thought we were just going to wing it!!!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2008 14:35
Quote: "Anyone have an idea what these do and how they might be used?"

Yes, it takes a DBO data block and converts it to an object - you pass a pointer to the data, the size of the data, and a pointer to a pointer to sObject, and it will put an object pointer there for the object it created.

The DBOConvertObjectToBlock does the reverse.

To be honest, they aren't really any use for DLL writers, as although you can create a new sObject, it isn't given an ID number or included in the rendering.

Quote: "does anyone know of a good reference for the DBO format that might be a bit easier for a .NET programmer to grasp than C++ header files?"

No.

MoomanFL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2008 19:22 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2008 19:24
Quote: "[quote]does anyone know of a good reference for the DBO format that might be a bit easier for a .NET programmer to grasp than C++ header files?"
No.[/quote]

Ok. That is too bad, but I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and try to understand this then. Maybe after I do I can make a good reference for .Net programmers then. I think that more of the knowledge should be put into references and tutorials than has been done so far.

Where can I get the lastest C++ headers for the DBO format? The last ones I saw were the 5.9 version and I believe it has changed since then.

As I work on trying to understand these I will probably be on here with lots of questions. Hopefully the wonderful minds here will be willing to lend me assistance. No sarcasm intended.

Design documents?!? What design documents??? I thought we were just going to wing it!!!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 15:04
If you download and install the GDK, the files are available there - I have no idea whether the file have changed since 5.9 or not.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 22:24:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 22:24:55