Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / passing using native api

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 14:23 Edited at: 26th Jan 2008 14:28
Just out of curiosity what's wrong with using ReadProcessMemory and WriteProcessMemory in windows.h other than the fact it alerts some security software? I'm using it to pass all types of data currently, and it works better than using DX8 and globalPtr IMO..under Devc++

Passes strings from my DLL in just two lines of c++ code. Not even using pointers, just a global.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 14:44
What's wrong is that you are bypassing the OS memory security - once you gain access to the memory of another process, then all memory security is gone for that process.

Take a look at using shared memory instead - it's a way of sharing a region of memory between 2 or more processes but it stays within the security model.

Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 14:49 Edited at: 26th Jan 2008 14:50
I also figured it eats up resources too because it's going through the kernel directly. It's only useful for game trainers and security stuff I guess.

I'll go look at shared memory or whatever. Just looking for a easy way around using directx and bulky 3rd party MS VC++ and/or .NET libraries to pass strings from a dll.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 20:14:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 20:14:08