Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / TANK Physics - Vehicle in DarkPhysics - any Suggestions How?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 02:14
Vehicle has four Wheels - and I hear the vehicle support is a little hokey.

Tanks - have Tracks. I thought about sliding it around... But if a tank is humming along - it shouldn't "Drift" ... it should get tippy if anything in a tight turn (Kinda Heavy for that maybe) but.... if a tank goes over a ramp - it should leave the ground a little - rough ride - but - I think it will take some creative ideas to make it look reasonable.

I Know so far - the dbPhyMakeRigidDynamicMesh thing just DOES NOT work... So all my Vehicles I think will end up being Boxes But...

Any IDEAS are welcome! Thanx in Advance.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 12:24
IIRC, Battlefield: 1942 used four (hidden) wheels behind the tracks. With the suspension set to maximum so there is no roll, and maybe set the centre of gravity really low.

Although I do like the idea of having tanks drifting around, Fast and Furious: Tokyo Tank drift.

Projects Started: 20
Projects Completed: 0
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 15:36
monotonic - I forgot to ask - did it look ok? I may actually have that game around here somewhere...hmmm.... where's the DISK.... You Sure its the four wheeler trick?

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 04:24
Quote: "Although I do like the idea of having tanks drifting around, Fast and Furious: Tokyo Tank drift. "

BF2142 hover tanks

I'm not sure about 1942, but 2142 doesn't seem to use 4 wheels, the treads appear more solid, but I could be totally wrong.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 05:28
AirSlide - cool Game BTW - March to War

So - Should I put rockets on the tanks to make em go faster? LOL

Seriously - I'm worried about the four wheels thing because tanks can do things wheels cant. I may do something with friction manipulation somehow ... dunno .. wheels might be only way...

I am a bit perplexed.

FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Other then actually creating a set of gears that turn a track I cant think of any thing, and I cant image my suggestion working well (to much to go wrong).

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 05:42
You could make them a rigid body that has some decent sliding properties...but that could have some weird effects in some cases and the tank could move regardless of where the treads are. Isn't it possible to have more than 4 wheels on a vehicle in DP? You could try 6 or 8 if so.

FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
I was thinking if you could come up with a way to make a car with many wheel or like link two small cars together that mite do it?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 19:21
The linked vehicle thing - like a train - but not articulated is what I was hoping for seeing how the 4wheel thing is a fixed option.

I thought of the sliding thing and the make my own tracks thing too...

Appreciate the ideas... still listening if anyone else wants a go

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 19:28
You could create your own vehicle, because essentialy behind the scenes ,a vehicle is just a group of rigid bodies.

Just create the body, add some wheels and attach them to the main body using a revolute or pulley joint, and then apply a rotational velocity to the wheels. Obviously this would be more work, but you could tweek it to suite your needs precisly.

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 21:40
Hmm... Like you're saying a bit more work I could use the primitives and a revolute to make my "own Vehicle" like the "Machine Demo" just make my own "Machine???"

If that is so, think it would be really heavy on the physics engine? ... say... 8 independant "revolute joints" (4 wheels per side...maybe 6 wheels would do..need to try to prevent "hang ups" ...treads dont hand up)

That does sounf like a good idea - I mean if the only difference really is I need to make things turn(wheels) versus the MOTOR thing in DarkPhysics for a "Vehicle" than thats kinda cool!

GREAT ideas all of you! .. Please... Keep them coming!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 02:02:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 02:02:04