Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Missle smoke emitter trail settings?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 21:30
Ok, I've been messing around with the smoke emitter for the better part of the day. I can't seem to get the right settings going to get the smoke to do what I want.

I'm firing a missle in space. So the look I'm looking for is a smoke trail that doesn't move, it just lays out the particles in a line behind the missle and they slowly fade away not having been affected by gravity or the motion of the emitter.

The emitter is attached to the back side of the missle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't think, just code.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 23:24 Edited at: 25th Feb 2008 23:24
How about not using the default smoke emitter and create one yourself. You then could set the properties.

For instance to make the smoke stationary you could use:

phy set emitter linear velocity range ID, min x#, min y#, min z#, max x#, max y#, max z# and set the min and max values to 0.0 and use phy set emitter gravity ID, state to turn gravity of for the emitter.

Fornit some Fornus!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 02:24
I tried a few more things with the regular emitter, but didn't get much further. Maybe I've just been staring at it for to long.

It doesn't sound that difficult, but leaving a small trail of smoke behind that doesn't move isn't quite as easy as it sounds.

Don't think, just code.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 02:29
In what direction do he particles move i.e. do they follow the missile or rise, sink etc...

Fornit some Fornus!
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 08:21
Quote: "It doesn't sound that difficult, but leaving a small trail of smoke behind that doesn't move isn't quite as easy as it sounds."

Its a lot easier.

All you need to do is define the emission point, and then create a plain there every loop. Then fade out the plains due to their age.

Unless you are applying dynamics to the smoke, using dark physics is the wrong way to go about it.

See attached example.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 22:39
The other thing I noticed is as soon as you start using particles or more than just a few sprites, things slow down quite a bit...

So you say that's an image textured on a plain, then slowly make it slightly larger and more transparent over a specific time.

I like it. Simple, yet it looks pretty darn good.

Don't think, just code.
BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 14:36
@BiggAdd - That is VERY cool!

Would you consider posting the source code so we could learn how you did your smoke trail?
We could even incorporate that code into our own projects (and give you credit)if you said it was ok.

Thanks
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 17:39
Code

I posted up some code back in 2005.

BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 12:45 Edited at: 29th Feb 2008 12:46
@BiggAdd - Thanks, It's great to see other programmers ideas, ways of coding, and cleaver ideas.
To see ways of doing things that I might not of thought of doing. I love learning new ideas!

Thank You!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 03:33:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 03:33:17