Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / How do you make animated sprites?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 21:10
I'm don't know much about sprites i know you can just use ms paint to make still sprites but how do you make animated ones?

I'm a noob help will be accepted
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 00:08
If you have DBP, the following command will work:

This command is not available in DBC. Still, you could fairly easily grab the images off of a bitmap in your code and create your own function/subroutine to play them.

Hope this helps,

LB
White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 03:00
I'm not talking about coding it i mean making file with the sprite animations but it not your fault i should have explained better

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 03:32
Perhaps you are talking about .gif files, where 2D animation is done. Though I have not used it for this, my understanding is that the Gimp can produce decent .gif animations. However, I don't think you can load gif files into DB.

To me, you will severely limit yourself in 2D if you do not learn how to code sprite animation.

Best of luck,

LB
White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 14:54
Thanks i'll probably keep to my 3d project i was thinking about maybe making it 2d

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2008 04:09
White Fang 12

I'm part of the crowd that believes 2D should be the first choice for most coders, with 3D brought in after a good understanding of 2D is held. Some people can jump right into 3D and do a nice job with it. However, I can't help but wonder that if you're having trouble working with animated sprites then how are you going to do with 3D animation? Even with a 3D game, there are many times where 2D animation is involved.

From coder to coder, I would strongly suggest getting 2D animation down. You won't regret it.

Best of luck,

LB
Hummanoid Typhoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 13:23 Edited at: 15th Mar 2008 13:25
paint works but i would suggest using a specialized sprite editor.

For Mac osx there is a great freeware app called Pixen.

For PC the first program that comes to mind is Tilesetmaker http://www.geocities.com/kzsite2/

The only other one I know of is sprite builder it's nice but not freeware.

If you use adobe photoshop I have a script that turns a multi layered animation into a sprite sheet. Pretty handy as it saves you laying out the frames by hand.

(To make an animates sprite you need a sprite sheet with all the frames on it then use make animated sprite command which will cut the image up into the frames and let you play, stop....etc)

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 19:30
You can make a GIF animation using the ImageMagick++ plug-in I wrote for DBPro. You can use any sort of input file, and it can tween, too. It can also be used to assemble sprite sheets. You should check it out, it handles just about everything image related.
zaxer thawl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2008 22:25
to make animated sprites, you need to make a picture with all the frames in one page. you can do this with MSPaint. here is an example guide i made in ten minutes. feel free to use it. you will need to have microsoft word to open it with the pictures also. see download.

i will start a thread with free sprites later.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 05:39:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 05:39:49