Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / SkyCars final released! Arcade/racing/space game with level editor!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 12:08
After many trials and tribulations, I'm pleased to say that I'm now releasing SkyCars V1.0 along with the editor (SkyEdit)! If you liked Bluemoon's SkyRoads, I think you'll really enjoy this game (I hope).

I really encourage you to play the game, use the level editor, and share your levels with others. I've set up a spiffy forum to support a community (I just need your help to create a community). I'll even try to play all of your levels!

Without further ado, play the game here:
http://www.galaxyware.tk
Enjoy!

And some screenshots:

http://thehobbit.mine.nu/skycars-banner.jpg[/img]
http://www.galaxyware.tk
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 12:18
I'll be trying that later...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 12:25 Edited at: 1st Jul 2003 13:01
Very impressive. Top notch stuff indeed

The only trouble is, I cannot set the game speed right using the settings dialog. It always seems to be to fast or too slow.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 12:36 Edited at: 1st Jul 2003 12:40
Theres a slight pause when the music has finished - seems like it reloads it ?

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 12:41
Thanks there

As for the music, I don't think this is fixable. DBC is terrible with looped music.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 13:41
Obvious plug coming up : Try my BASS module...

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 13:53
Perhaps I'll use it when (if) I convert to MOD music, but I'm currently using MIDI, which, according to your specs, isn't supported. It is rather sad though that DBC will choke at reloading a tiny little MIDI.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 13:57
Quote: "The only trouble is, I cannot set the game speed right using the settings dialog. It always seems to be to fast or too slow."

Hmm, I haven't adjusted the speed since the last few releases. I'll look in further detail later...

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 14:15 Edited at: 1st Jul 2003 14:19
Didn't know you were using MIDI - thought it was a .WAV!
Yes the only thing BASS cant play is MIDI - mind you, its best to leave MIDI alone now as it can sound different on different machines.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 14:20
Sweet . I guess I wrote some pretty decent qualitiy MIDIs then...
right... right? *looks around shyly*

I'll give the plugin a try though when (if) I use MODs. This would be my ultimate goal (besides MP3s or WAVs if everybody had broadband). No pressure, but would it be infeasable to load a MIDI as you would the other formats that you support? I would imagine it wouldn't be much different from a MOD (which could creatively be looked at as a fancy MIDI with custom soundfonts).

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 16:07
i'm off 2 swinnin now, but ill give it a whirl when i get back... oh ya, congratulations!!!

---Mattman
"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done." Andy Rooney
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 16:32 Edited at: 1st Jul 2003 16:33
The BASS interface module cant do anything with MIDI, because unfortunately I use the BASS player, which cant play MIDI (as far as I know anyway - I'll have to check the SDK documents).
The BASS interface goes like :

DBPro program -> BASS Interface -> BASS DLL module

It means you can skip past my interface ans just use the BASS DLL module (my interface just makes it easier).

The un4seen web site has a midi to MOD convertor, which you might find use for.

Pretty good music by the way...

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 01:24
Thanks guys!

Don't forget, there's an editor released, so I'd be pleased to see your creations.

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 04:32
Superb!
I'm a big Sky Roads fan so it is great to see a top notch remake. It's just so like the original; the way the ship moves, the controls, the speedometer and other meters; and the editor just puts the icing on the cake.

Only 2 complaints:
- That music looping thing is really annoying
- Level 2 is too god-damn hard! It seemed equivalent to the last set before the hardest set of levels in the original!

If you can't beat him, use a stick;
If you still can't beat him, use a brick;
If you still can't beat him, don't call him a prick!
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 06:20
I'm really glad you like the game! I really got a kick out of the old radars in SkyRoads. Grav O Meter was pretty cool, but Jump O Master was pure genius! Too bad I didn't recreate Jump O Master, but I think Distance O Radar is pretty funny too. Glad you appreciate the editor; I'd love to see some fan-made levels!

Yeah, I suppose level 2 is pretty difficult. Maybe I'll move it to a later scene like the sun or something. Music looping is beyond my control until and if I decide to convert to MOD format and use MrTAToad's BASS module.

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 16:48
Loved the beta, but is the lag fixed?

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 18:54
Hey! You fixed the menu slowdown problem and the powerup ring slowdown problem, or maybe that is because I downloaded a new graphics card driver yesterday (it finally fixed DB too after a couple of months, yay! No more no programming!).

I encountered a severe exception error, but I don't know why, I changed the draw distance and then went on the asteroid belt, track 1, and it happened. I tried it again and there was no error. It was probably just some obscure bug, but I'll tell you if I find out why it happened.

On other thing for later versions is that you should have a prompt when you click the "reset progress records" (somit like that ) in the menu, asking you if you are sure that you want to clear the records (damn carelessness ). It is still really fun, is there a reward for completing all the tracks BTW?

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 00:00 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2003 00:00
Heya!

Actually, I did fix the menu slowdown. And the powerup ring may have been fixed because I reduced polys overall, making the game faster overall.

Severe exception. This actually happens when I try to apply mipmapping on select random occasions. It's just some strange random error probably caused when it fails to generate a mipmap properly, similar to how sometimes it fails to load an object correctly and some polygon will be jetting out at a random angle.

Good idea about the track progress reset thing. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your POV), there's no reward for beating the game at this point. So the record of levels cleared is for you, not for unlocking parts of the game (yet).

Fluff: What lag? I don't think it's laggy save on a few levels. Try it out, play with some of the game settings until it runs well on your system.

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 02:09
I'm just about to download the editor. It should be good, I just can't resist a game with a level editor (I still play around making Settlers 3 Maps!).

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 02:28
Good luck there! If you make something cool, let me/us know; I have a section of my forums set aside for level uploads.

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 12:42
What do those cloud thingies do? (the ones at the start of level 3 - also too hard)

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 13:27
it takes practice...A+ software very proish and on classic you should be proud! Loading screens and everything flawless...runs beutifully on my cpu with gfx turned way up max resolution and dithering/aa turned on...new favorite game

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Software Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dbsgroup/
Dostej
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 13:53
I´m working on a space trading game and I´m not a good 3D-artist. So could you tell me how do make the planets and other space things?

Dostej

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 17:33
That editor is absolutely top class once you get used to it! If you ask me this game is nothing short of commercial release quality (if it was just slightly easier at the start!). Now to find where to upload all those cool levels I made...

The leprechaun tells me to burn things.
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 00:30
Thank you very much everybody! I know the learning curve can be a tad steep in the first few levels; I'll try to fix this up in the next release.

The clouds do nothing and are for decoration.

The space objects: For planets, I actually used a flat plain with a planet texture on it. The object is far enough away that you'll never get to see that it's flat, so it works. The rings are rotated plains which constantly spin. I like to use 2 different plains with 2 slightly different textures with slightly different rotation speeds: nice morie effect. Jupiter had 2 spheres around it rotating to make it look like storms and such. The sun is 3 plains: a sun texture in front and 2 sunflare textures behind it. The flares rotate at different speeds and resize in a sinusiodal fashion. Nebula is 3 rotating planes with cloudy textures.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 00:31
I was hoping that I had the upload script working on my forums, but it appears that it doesn't work. If you don't have a means of posting the levels online, send them to me via email and I'll post them for you .

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 01:05
I think I just fixed it. It was probably just a bad CHMOD-job by yours truly. Try uploading your levels from my forum.

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 02:10
How do you upload the levels on the forum? I can't see any button or anything.

"The leprechaun tells me to burn things" - Ralph Wiggum
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 02:47 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 02:48
F*****g C**p S**t it took me over 30 mins to complete level 2 its a bitch, excellent game though and very addictive, i could not leave my chair till i completed stage 2 i was about ready to pull my hair out, top stuff!

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 04:33 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 04:34
LOL! Complaint duely noted. I'll simplify the first few levels when I release the next version, that's for sure. And thanks for the compliment portion of your post too!

Oh, yeah levels can be uploaded in the section of the forum specific to SkyEdit. You just need to hit the attachments button on the bottom of your post.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 13:13 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 13:17
Well, I made some of the first levels easier now. You can download SkyCars from the site with the updated level pack. Alternately, if you don't want to redownload the entire game (since there are no changes to the executable), get the level pack here:
http://bryce.kicks-ass.org/galaxyware/levels.zip

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 13:48
Ah good - nice to know L2 will be easier...

http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins and other exciting things - oh my, yes!
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 14:24
Hey MrTAToad. Now that you're here, I figure I may as well ask you, the expert.

What do you recommend as a good freeware/shareware MOD sound composer? I like programs with a lot of features that don't "dumb-it-up" too much. Of course, something imposing and nearly impeccable with a million gadgets and gizmos is bad too. Any ideas?

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 15:34
There are many freeware trackers out there. Whilst I dont use any myself (there is BUZZ, Octamed Studio being some), I think they all pretty much have the same set of features. See http://www.modarchive.com/software/. If you haven't done so already, it would be worth seeing the BASS site at http://www.un4seen.com/ for their licensing system (FREEWARE - free, SHAREWARE - $100, COMMERCIAL $995+)

http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins and other exciting things - oh my, yes!
Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 15:49
I must be blind or something I still can't see the button! By the way everyone try my level here.

The leprechaun tells me to burn things
Algae Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 21:11
It's a great game! Very challenging, in fact a little too challenging in levels 2 and 3. So i'll download the new levels, which are easier! Yay! And I have yet to download the editor, so I should do so soon.

On the subject of mods, i think that MadTracker and FastTracker are good. I have them on my computer, and are the only mod trackers I have. I think they're freeware (or at least fasttracker is).

Algae Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 21:20
Hell IVIonkey, you made this in DBC?

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 23:32
WitchBomber:
It's right under your create/edit post dialogue. If you don't have this option (like if it only works for me, the admin) let me know. If it works, please add it on the forums. I noticed that it differs from the original you sent me.

Algae Man:
Thanks . Yeah, the game is made in DBC. It was daunting because of the large amounts of limitations. Ie: No (stable) sprites, no (fast) collision detection (I had to make my own math routines), no BSP support (I had to make my own VIS and CSG routines), etc...

And thank you Mr.TAToad and Algae Man for the advice about MOD composers/trackers. I'll give all of these a try (after my vacation).

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 01:18
No it's not there. It must only be you that can see it.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 09:32
Thanks. I figured it out finally. It should work now. Nice level by the way.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 02:20
HEY! Sorry I missed this, I loved Skyroads, and this is very cool Good job mate, well done!

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 05:38
Why has no-one else joined the forums? This game is really great and the community has a lot of potential if people start making levels for it and join the forum!

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 09:11
Thanks much Kangaroo2. Yep, SkyRoads has been my inspiration to become a good DB programmer. However, it's the community here that inspires me to keep perfecting the game I've made.

@ WitchBomber:
Thanks for the concern. However, I didn't expect the forums at my site to boom or anything. I'm actually pretty happy with the response I've been getting. Of course, more kill-some-time-and-post-a-few-things-or-levels members would be well-appreciated at my forums. Rest assured though, just because this is v1.0, it doesn't mean that I'm done! I still have a lot of plans for SkyCars! There's plenty of time to develop a bit of a community.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 11:53
Well, I apologize, but I won't be able to answer any questions or whatnot for a week; I'm going on vacation now.

Here's a little treat... I recreated the original SkyRoads first level "Red Heat (1)" as a tribute and as a little something to keep you busy.

Excitingly, Ag3ntSm1th is working on a RANDOM LEVEL GENERATOR! Please check it out also and help him troubleshoot it and provide good ideas. It really has some potential and I hope that eventually I can include it into SkyCars.

Everything is available at the forums on my site. See, now you have to go here ... maybe you'll be inspired to make some levels too!

See you in a week!

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 19:31
When I use skyedit and then load my level into the game, it loads the textures then justr when it starts loading the level there is a severe exception. All the time. Are there any things that the level has to have in order to work?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 19:33
Damn, just missed you!

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 08:15
What a cool camp! They have internet access here, though it's slow as hell.

Do you have the latest version of SkyCars, version 1.0? If not, it will do this because I changed the level format around a bit.

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 00:12
Now to look for a copy of Sky Roads so I can start recreating the old levels...

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 00:55
You can download it free now, from the website of bluemoon.

Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ 256 MB Ram Geforce 4 TI 4200 128 MB
Visit my site: www.cuso.tk
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 01:44
yeah i do

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:16:16
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:16:16