Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / SkyCars final released! Arcade/racing/space game with level editor!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I beat all the levels up to Neptune, the slowdown keeps killing me, but I got past track one

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 06:31
I'm so tired now. I just went on a really long and intense mountain bike ride. Going downhill at 30mph (48km/h) on really steep paths was a thrill, but after a rock climb / hike at the end, getting back up was as tiring as hell (took hours!). I almost died .

Anyhow: SkyRoads, in case you're wondering:
http://www.bluemoon.ee - it's under History.

Hamish McHaggis: I don't really know what to say other than your computer hates you (or SkyCars does). You seem to have bad luck with severe exception errors. I'll look into this when I get back though.

Happy 2nd page of this forum thread!

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 06:34
Quote: "I beat all the levels up to Neptune, the slowdown keeps killing me, but I got past track one"

Sweet Jesus! I didn't think anybody could get that far besides me. I thought Jupiter would get everybody. I think Sun will be really difficult, but Warpgate and Where Stars are Born should be decent.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 00:41
I completed the Sun just now!

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 03:29
This is a great game. Pretty challenging though. Warpgate was easier than the rest though (I can only beat Warpgate Track 1 anyway.) Hey, how did you get that neat hyperspace effect in Warpgate?

At first glance, I'm a mediocre mech pilot. Look again and you will see my battlemech's computer code rushing through my eyes. My Mech And I Are One!
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 07:13
Thanks there! Yeah, warpgate was pretty easy... I made it this way because I thought a distracting background + difficult tracks = pure frustration. The warpgate effect was 2 inverted cylinders stretching from just behind the camera to some point way off in space. They are rotating (at different speeds) and are scrolling their textures. Finally, there's one round warplike texture spinning at the end of the gate.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 20:03
Um, does this work in DBC? I'm not entirely sure if it does. It would be great if I could use this type of effect in my game though.

At first glance, I'm a mediocre mech pilot. Look again and you will see my battlemech's computer code rushing through my eyes. My Mech And I Are One!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 00:22
ya, he made sky cars in dbc i think

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 05:54
Been working on a few new concepts, illustrated in detail at my forums in Ag3nt's posts. Here's a spoiler shot for a new car you can earn/purchase:

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 06:19
Yeah, It's in DBC.

Regarding your email about the Warpgate effect:
I have 2 cylinders. They are very long. They are both pitched downward 90 degrees. They have the faces inverted (this can be done in your modeler or in DBC - scale the object by negative values). Then, texture some shooting stars image onto them. In the game, you'll need to roll both the cylinders (perhaps at different speeds). Also, scroll the texture (see the scroll texture commands in DBC) so that the stars move towards you. Finally, you'll want a plain at the end of the tunnel of cylinders. Put a swirley texture on it; in the game, rotate it the same direction that the cylinders are rotating.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 13:26
And here's another car I just finished:

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 14:39
Is this going to be an upgrade on skycars, or part of skycars 2 (if there is going to be one, hope there is!)?

Nice models BTW.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 19:35
Nice New Models...Wait, I just noticed something, I spend too much time looking at the forums, I gotta work on my projects. And I've set a deadline for SpaceCop on August 22nd, uh oh, gotta run *zips off to computer to work on spacecop*

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 08:40
Thanks . This hopefully will be an upgrade to SkyCars. And there additionally should be a SkyCars 2, but I'll call it SkyWorlds most likely. Think of WaveRacer in space (and sometimes even on planets). But it's just a mental concept for now... Need DBP first for BSP support.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 20:18
sell this, get enough $$$ for pro, and create Sky Cars 2 : Sky Worlds

NOW!!!

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2003 23:37
Hello. To anybody who has created a level in SkyEdit that doesn't work (crashes or freezes SkyCars), please reply to this:
http://bryce.kicks-ass.org/galaxyware/forum/invboard1_1_2//index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=17&s=82a56246fe75cebb15c76283fe6956e0
Don't skimp on details about the error generation please.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 10:20
Hmm, seems as the problem isn't with SkyEdit, but occurs rather when you try to manually edit the .lvl file (like with Notepad). Let me know if I'm wrong, but I think the case is dismissed.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 11:11
Do you create the level file when you start the level and edit it when you save? Wouldn't it be better to create a completely new one when you save?

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 11:58
Great game, I love it.

Cant wait to see what you do to it next. Ill work on a level and uplaod it soon.

Are you doing joystick control? (or does it have it and I missed it?)
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 12:26
Hamish:
That's the only way to do it, since there's no file appending in DBC.

Falelorn:
Thanks, and please do make some levels. I'll put in joystick support, I suppose, since SkyRoads had it. ... but no mouse controled motion - that's just terrible.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 14:41 Edited at: 31st Jul 2003 14:43
Hey all. I figured I'd give a long-overdue status report of SkyCars v1.10 progress:

Why is it taking so long? I've been on a few vacations lately. But mainly, there are so many new features that I'm adding to the next release of SkyCars. I'll outline a few of them with the aid of screenshots.

Here we see a typical Earth level. The differences from previous versions are (1) the in-game menu / pauser and (2) The new ring type. This ring will give you points which now play an important role in the game.

Why? So that you can earn new cars! Each will have it's own strengths and weaknesses in different situations. Select your car in the ship hangar.

The improved engine introduces a multitude of new block types to make the game more interesting. Here we see some metallic blocks and nifty decorations. Also, notice how high up that platform above is. There are now 8 height levels instead of the original 4, so the gameplay is more diverse. The block to the front of the lower platform is a jump block that launches the player into the air!

Here's another nifty shot of the metallic blocks being used in Earth 3.

The new level format allows for some cool effects. Blocks can now be easily rendered normally, with black-removed transparency, ghosted, or dark ghosted. This will all be easily accessable in the new version of SkyEdit. Speaking of which, a converter will be released so that your custom levels don't go to waste.

ETA is in about 3 weeks. I've told some people that it may be earlier, but I don't want to get hopes up and then fail to meet this deadline.

Some additional things to check out in the future will be Ag3ntSm1th's RLG (Random Level Generator), a very cool piece of code that keeps the game more interesting; and the growing database of user-made levels, including some spicy conversions of classic SkyRoads (Bluemoon's game) tracks.

Keep those eyes peeled!

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 15:01
Impressive!

Its better than a poke in the eye...
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 20:48
i'm blown away!!!

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 05:23
Hehe, thanks!

Blown away already? Hmm, I'd save that for the actual release of v1.10, but thanks.

Troan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 11:11 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2003 11:13
i wish i could play but when i install and i click on folder i get this error
Quote: "The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or currpt"

and when i extract i get this
Quote: "No Files To Extract"

try re-downloading didnt work

---Troan---

"Love and Peace"-Vash the Stampede
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 11:53
Good thing you notified me of this! I think somehow the archive got corrupted sitting on my old harddrive in my webserver. I tried to DL the file and it halted at about 650kb, instead of the 3-something meg file it should have been.

I'll post a new file soon, or perhaps I'll just wait until v1.10 is released since that date is looking closer and closer on the horizon.

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 13:49
I got that problem as well, so I used FlashGet to download.

The leprechaun tells me to burn things
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 14:22
That's pretty nifty! Here's a link: http://www.amazesoft.com/download.htm

But this doesn't justify the download error, FlashGet or other similar apps shouldn't be required to download SkyCars, LOL! So I'll get working on a fix soon.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2003 01:05
Yes! Looks excellent. I can't wait!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:01:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:01:08