Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / General Reed's modified character controller code: Problems with movement

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 22:29
He had a great remake of the character controller that I'm using for my current project.

The code is in the 'Techniques' sticky at the top of this board.

Here's my version of the code...

That works great. There's no sliding, and it works for WASD movement. My problem is the gravity, linear velocity on the Y, or whatever it is thats causing the problem.

These functions on a terrain are trouble. Whenever I move, after I let go my character controller (actually a rigid dynamic box) goes up in the air a little bit, then comes down. The terrain is bumpy, so it may be that the rigid body is working like a car, and going up in the air after hitting a bump.

The other problem is that randomly after I let go, sometimes it flies up really fast and high into the air, and then gradually comes down. It's like I get hit by an invisible train or something

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I've tried setting linear velocity to 0 on the y axis, or -4.8 but it didn't fix.

Thanks.

Sig by BiggAdd.
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive just found that this problem is to do with the rotation part of the code. Whenever the controller is rotated, lininear momentum seems to be slowed right down. Im trying to figure out why.

I will post updated code if and when i get this to work.

CPU: AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz GFX: NVIDIA BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB OC-550mhz core RAM: 2048mb

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 23:10:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 23:10:16