Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Arcade Style Racer released

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 05:42 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 05:45
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice screenshot.

33 meg? um..I'll get it tommorow, right now its late where I'm at. Eek, I mean, I'll get it later TODAY -_-..I really need to go to bed !

~Morph/Kanzure
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL apologies to all for the bloated size but it is a full game not a one level demo. I was considering making a limited number of CD's available on request for the 56K modem guys but that's maybe a bit OTT. I'll see what, if any, interest there is first.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 17:49
Just wanted to add that this is one of the nicest DB games I've ever played (and I've played a lot!).

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
New DBS Web Sites Coming Soon - All Change
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 18:28
33mb+56k=

It looks stunning, I wanna play!
I'll have to see if I can find someone with broadband willing to download it for me.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 18:30
Ohh, could you make a demo version? - like 1 track?

I don't think I've even played a DB car game with other cars on the track!

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 18:35
Looks great, I'm downloading!

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 18:47
Very, very good

I've got a Daytona clone in the works, just can't model the track well enough yet - got everything else

Anyway, great job, well done

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 18:48
I must say it looks very "completed". A bit of an anomaly around here

Bender:Blackmail’s such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The x makes it sound cool.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 19:17
This is one of the top 3 all time best darkbasic(or pro) games I've ever played!Reminds me of Cruising usa a bit.

2D Fighting game in Progress
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 19:27
@SonicBoom

Very nice indeed - Top quality work. Shows what even DBC can do in the right hands

@Rich - This is O/T - but your older avatar looked nicer.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 19:50
Quote: "I don't think I've even played a DB car game with other cars on the track!"

My motorbiking game had 3 other competitors, all with full, nice AI!

I'll download this now.. seems interesting.

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 22:02
Hey where did you get the Sega textures and sounds from man?

tooo... many... nice.... little... touches.... can't.... compliment.... them.... all....

Great job again, still playing it

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 22:53 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 22:54
well i started to download this last nite, unfortunately i'm stuck with a cellphone modem until next Thursday (bloody AT&T maintainance), have some big fat guy named mike with most of his ass hanging out working on all of the connections and setting up my server (if it don't work after all of this i'm gonna go postal on something)

however i stoped downloading because i got some emails with some attachments i really needed to listen to, so dropped it.
though Sam says this is pretty blinding full of lots of features, so i'm downloading again - it best be worth my while though, gonna take 2hrs

[edit-]
well aleast your server has resumable downloads, that 10mb off the final size

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 23:48
I'd love to play it too! It looks really great, especially the screenshots on the webpage. Unfortunately, I'm not on T1 anymore, back to 56k, what a regression! I'll try to find some time to download it soon though.

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 00:16
Fantastic game.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 00:51
Wow! Very polished and dead smooth.

R Tape loading error
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 01:39 Edited at: 5th Jul 2003 03:11
Wow thanks for all your comments guys - tis much appreciated

@Yellow - cheers mate - praise indeed - Cruisin' Margate doesn't have quite the same ring tho eh? lol

@Kangeroo2 - here's a few links to great Daytona/Virtua Racing reference material - I'd be very interested to hear of your plans
http://www.leopardcats.com/vraudio/audio.htm
http://www.system16.com/sega/mp3.html
http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_model2.html
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/flyers/sega/16187301.jpg

Also http://www.eurojocs.com/games/downloads/daytona.zip for the original PC game conversion of the Saturn title. It's "abandonware" and no longer runs on my XPPro, although it used to before some windows update or other

Again apologies as I realise that 33MB is pretty huge for a modem but I'm not sure about a 1 track demo - it would give you a flavour of what it's like sure but where's the game? You'd still have to download the whole thing to play it! It would either put you off downloading or make you want to get it more.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do a demo but to be honest I'd rather post you a CD so you can play the whole thing (and I'm delighted that you're interested!), if you could just cover my costs pls. If you think you're affected then send me an email (there's a form on the website) and we can sort something out.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 02:26
Thanx man, great links And again, nice job like I said, its pretty darned sweet

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 04:11
i'm wondering but did you guess when you posted the minimum specs...

my laptop - 800Mhz AlthonMP / GeForce2Go! / 128Mb Ram / WinXP-SP1 / DirectX 9.0a Retail

just couldn't handle it ... i tried to lower the settings (which is not easy as all of the controls seem to be for a control pad not a keyboard, and one that the PC doesn't use which is quite annoying) ... but no matter what i tried to change nothing seemed to alter.

and the menu's were running oki but the actual game itself was just so damn slow ... each second took about 2 to actually go - which seemed bloody odd as the controls of the vehicle was instant, if i wanted to turn left i pressed left and it'd turn quite smoothly left ... not fantastically fast but would turn non the less.

this system should easily be able to handle something like this - alot more DB games i play i notice that they don't appear to be setup to be playable on slower systems, and really i wouldn't even count this system as a slow system.
Not to mention the game takes roughly 64mb ram to run (when the help says 32mb needed)

my card is a TnL capable, it also has 32mb exclusive (not shared) ram ... so there really isn't any reason for the slowdown... even more interesting was the fact that normally when games slow down sound jitters - but all the sound in this was crystal clear and ran fine.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 13:47
weird I just tested it on my 800Mhz Gforce2MX 128Mb XP PC and its fine, have you tried switching between windowed full and exclisive modes?

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 18:18
I wanna play this game! It looks really good, but like a few of us, I'm stuck with a 56k. Not to mention my ISP sucks and I get half the speed I'm supposed to get when I download, so I'll ask my mom if I can download it from their computer (they got DSL, yet the router hasnt arrived yet.) But, I wonder, did you ever think of giving the option of making your own levels? I think that would be pretty cool, making your own tracks, one with a big hill, (I dont know if this is included) see how high your car will fly into the air.

At first glance, I'm a mediocre mech pilot. Look again and you will see my battlemech's computer code rushing through my eyes. My Mech And I Are One!
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 23:52 Edited at: 7th Jul 2003 04:30
Quote: "tried to lower the settings (which is not easy as all of the controls seem to be for a control pad not a keyboard, and one that the PC doesn't use which is quite annoying) ... but no matter what i tried to change nothing seemed to alter.
"

Sorry you're having trouble dude, please see my post on the RGT forum - I think you may be falling foul of the "OK" button. Specs wise - I started with the specs for Star Wraith (commercial DB Classic game) and went from there. Testing told me there was no rhyme or reason and it was very hard to come up with so apologies if it's a bit off.

Quote: "making your own tracks"

Would be cool for sure but not in the game - sorry mate. If you can edit 3DS files you CAN change tracks 2,3,5 & 6 in a 3D editor. You'll see all the files like "Static.3ds" & "Collisions.3ds". As long as you keep the track flat you could change it as much as you wanted & specify all the collisions & Time Gates (not tested more that 3 gates though - you might overrun the arrays). A simple change might be to move the "TrackCamPoints" for new and exiting camera angles...? The only thing that is really set in code I think is the angle of the cars on the starting grid.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 00:36
yeah ... erm i can't access the RGT forums (there is a funny story behind that) ... so could you possible provide some tech help here?

i can switch between fullscreen & windowed, and i think i can also switch the res (the number changed but i don't really see a difference)
everything else though seems to be just like doesn't wanna move, and it is quite annoying when the ghosted options are actually kinda hard to see.

i don't mean to be bitching so much here, its just i was looking forward to playing this - and as is i just can't

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 00:48
How did you do the tracks ?

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins and other exciting things - oh my, yes!
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
@Raven It's Ok it was a big d/l for it to run crap on your system. From RGT:

"For those having trouble with the options, I'd just mention that on the dialogs you gotta "highlight" "OK" for the setting to "take". You'll get the "bad" sound if you cancel and I thought it was clear but if your playing with the sound off or low then maybe not. In testing I found that Screen resolution, half cars & camera distance were very useful for increasing speed on slower systems - you can take it (the view distance) all the way down to just a few feet in front of the car with a resolution of 160X120. It's not playable but at least will be fast! lol"

Quote: "How did you do the tracks ?"

@MrTAToad - In 3DSMax2. Collisions wise I used a system of rotated plains, DB Box collision detection with code for the sliding response.
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
As some poeple are finding it tough and I'd like you all to be able to complete the game - I'm writing a player guide which will be available on the site shortly http://www.victory-road.co.uk
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 03:40
really? ... even with this being as slow as slug i can still beat the computer (well can get 3rd anyways lol)

SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 04:21 Edited at: 7th Jul 2003 04:32
Quote: "being as slow as a slug"

@Raven, dude - does this help you at all?

New from the site:
Quote: "
select "Options" from the title screen. Use the direction pad to select each option and press "Enter" to select your choice. To confirm your selection be sure and choose "OK" and not "Cancel" when you're done.

Select "Half Cars", A "View distance" of 5, "No Sun", "No Sky", "Screen Resolution" of 640 X 480 (or lower) in full screen mode for maximum performance on slower systems. Also you might try altering your monitor refresh rate (Start->Control Panel->Settings->Display->Advanced) as the game may just be syncing badly with your screen. System performance is always an issue with 3D games but I've seen Victory Road running nicely with Half cars and a View Distance of 1 on a Win2k pro, PIII600 with Xpert99 graphics card (rubbish). At the same time all the performance boosts had to be used on a XPPro PIII1000 system with dedicated 3D hardware to get it to run even reasonably."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 08:58
well i can't turn the sky or sun on (i really wanted to see what they look like but they just won't turn on), my view distance is 6 and is still pretty slow, i didn't change the number of cars from default which seems to highlight 'half' and the screenres is 640x480 fullscreen.

nothing seems to change the actual ingame speed at all... the menu system speed changes but the ingame doesn't

richardneail
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 12:08
Hi,

Nice game, looks great and plays great too no problems with FPS on my comp.

I notice that you have kept the tracks flat ?

Perhaps one day I will release a complete version of Dark GT !!! LOL (yer right !! everyone shouts)

Just shows you what DB classic can still do

Do you make the track object a static object ? I found that on Dark GT this actually caused a performance hit.

Anyway great work

Rich

You might never win but if you give in will you ever know ??????
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "well i can't turn the sky or sun on (i really wanted to see what they look like but they just won't turn on), my view distance is 6 and is still pretty slow, i didn't change the number of cars from default which seems to highlight 'half' and the screenres is 640x480 fullscreen."

I think the highlight has confused (indeed I think it is confusing and have changed it in the patch I'm building) but presently the selected option is the Light Blue not the Dark Blue (which is clearer to see and by inference arguably "highlighted"). Post patch these will be Dark Blue (not selected) or Purple(Selected).

With this in mind I'd recommend you select "Half Cars" as that definately can improve performance and ask if you've tried adjusting the refresh rate on your machine? I do hope you can sort it cos 33MB is alot to discover it's not playable.

Quote: "Do you make the track object a static object ? I found that on Dark GT this actually caused a performance hit."

No - I can't make any loaded 3ds or X objects a "static object" as in "MAKE STATIC OBJECT" on my PC as it causes a runtime error (nVidia graphics card problem I think). Similarly Dark GT will not run on my box either.

Quote: "I notice that you have kept the tracks flat ?"

Yeah, and even then it wasn't easy to handle the angled collisions with a nice slide effect.

I did some work in the direction of going all out 3D and ended up with the DarkCollisions.dll (mucho kudos to Matthew DeWalt www.hihorizon.com as well) but was too far gone to really change the concept of this game by then as I'd already modelled nice flat tracks - might as well use 'em. I found it's amazing how long/much effort it takes to actually put a full game around the concept so I concentrated on actually getting it finished. I mean, you have all your game loop code and think it's done but you then need 10 times that for everything else, plus more graphics work - it's a nightmare! I'm glad I did it though

I've just seen that barzoule has posted a great demo (using my dll ironically - the git! LOL) of arcade racing physics and think that would make a great basis for work on a sequal to this. Victory Road V1 at least will remain flat however as I don't think the flatness detracts from the playability (but jumps, hills & banks would be alot cooler!!)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 16:47
Quote: " ask if you've tried adjusting the refresh rate on your machine?"

there wouldn't be much point... my GeForce Drivers overwrite that, there really shouldn't be any issue with the refresh rate anyways - at 640x480 it should be at around 160hz for this monitor.

SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you change to 160X120? Does that make a difference?? - try a View distance of 20+......Ok yeah I'm grabbing at straws but I reckon there is a point at which the game must start running smoothly even if it's too pixelly/can't see far enough to actually be playable - it would be interesting to know where that point was though
Dreamora
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 23:31
nice one but seems to be a bit to stupid to check the available screen modes ... want to play in 1600x1200 because i don't like windowed ...
ah ja and is it possible to change the keys? cam on Up is quite bad. have MS sidewinder pad and it happens quite often that the cam is changed and rotating cam in a 270° corner isn't THAT funny *ggg*

SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
1600x1200 = Ok covered

If I allow the keyboard to be mapped but not the GamePad can you get the joypad to work "instead of the keyboard" as it were?

Reason is that I'm having some trouble with the Gamepad as it doesn't respond to Scancode() command!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 02:44
I am having trouble with the view changing every couple of seconds. I can't find anything in the readme about view changing. Is this a bug or just the view changing method not working with my game pad (gravis xterminator)?

Well done for including the option to run it in windowed mode. I have a widescreen display and stretching a smaller normal monitor size image to fit looks crap.
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey there winchy

Currently the UP button is used to change the view so I guess you're inadvertantly pressing that. This situation was inspired by stuff like old megadrive/Genesis/Saturn games like Virtua Racing etc that often used the UP to change view. I think these days gampads have gotten alot more sensitive/analogue etc so this was a bad move.

I've just spent the eve coding in the ability to define the keyboard keys ONLY TO FIND that the sodding Scancode only reads one key per Sync - so you couldn't accelerate and steer at the same time! It was a similar story with Inkey$() too! Waste of life....

So...I'm gonna just change the View Toggle button to the "V" key on the keyboard - hope that's cool with you and everyone else. If I find out how to do the User Defined Key thing I may release another update then.

In the meantime I'm hoping to get this all wrapped up in the next hour or so & will post it to the site as a simple zip patch & a seperate fresh d/l for those who are still virgin.

There are other things in it like Difficulty settings and a few bits - hope it improves it for you

BTW why not choose "Merge with Server" to put up your best times? Only "Glenn" seems to have made use of this feature so far (Nice one Glenn!). Maybe it's just too hard for folks right now (wishful) - or they're just not playing (more likely) - lol.

Cheers
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Wohoo - it's "Keystate(Scancode())" (thanks Kev & Drake)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 08:01
ya know no matter what resolution, car distance, etc... everything goes - the speed stays the same.
it's really weird... i mean i can crank this right up and it still runs at the same speed.

oddly though i don't think that it is the actual gamespeed which is the problem, i think its the game itself. the seconds take exactly 2 seconds to pass - which is weird in itself.
but the controls are very responsive, the car itself just isn't.
and really the start bit when the cube spins off it shouldn't have any trouble there, but for some reason it takes like 15seconds for it to spin offscreen.

and the menu's come in either transparent or not trasparent for me... when you highlight an option i figure thats the one which gets bigger - only that doesn't seems to be the case.
it is all very confusing.

SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
@Raven I'm truly sorry you have had such trouble running this game - you appear to be the only person whose had such problems and I've clocked over 70 downloads since friday. I'm surprised you haven't given up on it but kinda pleased you tried so hard. I really don't know what else to suggest at the moment. I'm gonna try out the new install on a friends (rather old now) PC and I'm expecting it to run like the proverbial dog. I'll mess with the settings and see if there's any magic formula I can pass on.

Oh yes the new install - almost forgot.....

The new version is now available for anyone that wants it. Details of the upgrade are on the site (http://www.victory-road.co.uk) but briefly it amounts to changes at the request of you good folks here and at RGT. Some of you may be pleased to know there are now 3 modes of play - Easy to Hard so with luck even a blind hippo with mittens on could get something out of it. I'll be hearing no more of this "it's too hard" nonsense.

Whatever I hope it alleviates most of the issues raised and I'm hoping to see some decent scores on the Leader Tables.
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
@Raven I've had a cunning plan - it sounds like your problems may be caused by the fact that as the game runs, it changes the refresh rate with a "Sync rate X" command. The menus run at 73FPS and the game at 33PFS. These are also slightly weird numbers - I wonder - if a card "doesn't like" a refresh rate then maybe it just goes to "default".

I thought of a couple of things that might remedy this:

1: change the refresh rate to something more common looking, like 30FPS & 60FPs.

2: Adding a command to set the screen display after changing sync rates - to try to force the card to make the change.

Let me know if you'd like me to try and I could maybe post a new exe for ya to try out.
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 18:16
i'm having a few problems like raven, i am using a 2ghz p4, 256DDR ati radeon mobility m6 32mbDDR laptop, very impressive game though

SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
@lcfcfan sorry to hear that. Do you think my suggestions may lead the way to a remedy for you too?

I can't create/post anything now as I'm at work but let me know your thoughts and I can post a special update for you guys later this eve (UK)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 23:35
oki... well perhaps a cap might help... i'm not bothered about downloading new exes (as long as the new one isn't like 30mb too lol)

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 02:40
Quote: "Currently the UP button is used to change the view so I guess you're inadvertantly pressing that."

That will be it. The gamepad has an analog stick and it's impossible to move from side to side without moveing it up and down a little.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 12:46
a big work of quantity, but playability lacks.....

Free Download for a Free World
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it's very playable! I like it a lot. The pads work now, and the game is great with a pad. Just annoying how the other cars ram you into a wall when you overtake them.
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2003 17:42 Edited at: 10th Jul 2003 18:38
Hey thanks Pincho!

I'd just say that each to his own really - you can't please everyone I guess

Also I think that driving games in particular have grown up alot recently. Crash dynamics, particles, hills, jumps & all the rest are now defacto standard in an AAA title. But this was not always the case and if you look back at the development of the driving genre you'd notice all the milestones that were crossed since, say, Monaco GP (1980 top down 2D). Games as recent as early Grand Theft Auto titles had very simple display & dynamics - but were no less fun for them. Sega's ground breaking Virtua Racing wasn't much more than a graphics showcase of their new 3D engine, had "pre-calculated" spins and crashes, but it didn't matter - it was great! Anyone remember the "Spinning Point" feature of Ridge Racer Revolution For PSX where you rotate the car 360+ degrees in either direction as your car takes the corner "on rails". Bizarre, not-at-all-realistic and not to everyone's taste but still fun

Victory Road is (by design) very "Old Skool" and I'm sure there are many areas that could be improved upon. It's simply a single programmers effort to make a "retro feel" Arcade Driving game.

"Fair enough", to those who don't like their racers that way
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
The leaderboards for this game are now featured on the web site [href]http://www.victory-road.co.uk [/href](as promised).

It's looking basic right now but when i get more time I'll present it better & set it to update regularly.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:30:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:30:19