Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Modems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 01:38
My Modem has died and I need to get a new one. Asl & Dsl are out of the question. My choices are between a 56Bps V92 serial or USB. Is their any advantage to USB? Whats a good Brand.?
SpaceInvader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 01:52
USB is just more convenient. Get a nice, stable modem so yours doesn't crash all the time like mine does.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 03:07
USB & Internal Dialup Modems use processing power from your main CPU, External DO NOT!
If you have the money to purchase and external one, make sure it is either Creative or 3Com they are the best on the market, most stable which is best for online gaming.

However there are alot of cheap Broadband deals now, with Cable/DSL/ADSL - ISDN - T1 etc...
if i were you check about the prices as within the US and UK it is just as cheap as an all inclusive Dialup ISP now!

$24/month for AT&T 256kb stateside or £15/month NTL:Home 128kb line - both with the stability that only broadband full digital connections provide!

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 03:47
HAYES are a good brand if u can aquire one.
motorola make a good 56kmodem and cable modems
win modems will fail with linux in a lot of situations.

v92 needs to be supported by your isp to take advantage of quick phone calls while your online

http://www.lunarpixel.com/ is my new site
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 01:35
i would have suggested hayes, as most of thier older modems were outstanding - but thier 56k/Flex56/x2 have left alot to be desired, atleast in my experience

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:13:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:13:51