Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Some Inspiration?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2008 22:17
Hey all

Although I have never actually posted any songs, you may remember me from the petition to give us a TGC Music Forum (I started the thread).

I need some help from all of you.

For the past two years I have been composing orchestral music in my home studio. I have minimal instrumental skill, and minimal theory skill... I am however, and opera singer so that has helped. When I was finalizing my first track, and was planning on releasing it to you kind folks here at the game creators, I hit a major road block... My Mac Mini had a defective hard drive, and thus I have lost my past 2 years of work.

Lately, I sit down for five mins, start composing, and get so stressed out about it because well.. I have lost my inspiration.

I was wondering what some of you do for inspiration musically? Maybe a technique or something that you do, that helps you compose.

Any advice would be helpful

- Clayton Roy

(Oh, and yes, I've learned my lesson, and from now on will backup my files religiously)

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry to hear that you lost all that work i never really have to do anything to get inspiration, I just sit down and make music when i feel like i want to. I never sit down and make music when i'm not in the mood for it, and i think that's a big part of it. If you're like me then i can suggest this, stop making music for 4 days, after that, sit down at your computer, relaxed, no worries, nothing, listen to some good music, i listen to vivaldi alot when i do this. Then start composing like a mad man. If you're still not in the mood for making music try this, try finding a good song some person made on a page like www.soundclick.com and listen for things you dont know yet, then try copying yourself what the other person did and try to learn what techniques he used or something, when i do this i feel extremely inspired and am able to sit by my computer for hours, mainly because i've learned something new and it's fun to explore what to do with it, and now i'm doing something i havent done before and it's fun. You dont neccecarily have to copy the notes or anything, just learn how the person did the thing you dont know how to do, so it's still original

And another thing that makes me feel very creative, if it's a friday or saturday night and you've got absolutely nothing to do, stay awake untill you've reached the feeling that you're not tired anymore, you're more like half-awake and you feel relaxed and good. Last time i did this it was 5 A.m and i had been awake for 20 hours, and i've noticed, that when i do this, i feel extremely creative and inspired, some of my (in my view) best songs were made when i was like this.

I hope my strange ways of making music will help you or give you some idea on how to get inspired. you should really just find out what works for you, if nothing works, just force yourself to make music and stop thinking about wether you're inspired or not.

Your signature has not been erased by a mod... yet...
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 00:00 Edited at: 21st May 2008 00:01
Ow, that's damn chagrinning.
I lost quite a lot of work too once (in a hacker raid... )

Anyways, inspiration usually struck me whenever I can't write any ideas down before I forget them (I thought up this great arpeggio during my chemistry final exam for instance).

Usually, different places work for me; as Lucifer said one needs to be in the mood though of course.
For instance, I usually go to the local church and improvise on the organ. Forests can get me inspired too.

Last, but absolutely not least, the obvious inspiration source would be girls...

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 01:16 Edited at: 21st May 2008 01:18

2 years of work lost. I wouldn't know how that feels, but I know how your past can be faded away if you store your pictures digitally... ( I backed it up though, but it disappeared as well. )

To be honest, I don't look for inspiration. I let inspiration look for me. Like Lucifer said. I mind my own business until some random tune forms in my head and bothers me until I get it down on something. Sometimes they hit me in my dreams. And that's usually where I cook up the best stuff. My very first song I made, was entirely dreamt up, and still is one of my better songs.

If you don't have time to wait until something comes naturally, i've read that your mind is at its most creative state early in the mornings, so perhaps you should try to compose at that time. Might be easier if you need to force yourself to compose.

Also, you could try the "mood" way. Meditate on what your current mood is, then think of genres that suit that mood. Pick one, then think of instruments usually used on that genre of music, use them and experiment from there. It's always nice to have a "base" of sorts to get you going.

You just need to find the way that suits you. People are different and so are their methods. Some seem to work for people, while others don't. My methods are as random as apple pie. And apple pie is random.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 02:33
yiks!!

well theres a mac for ya...lol

sorry no offence....just making fun of the mac computers

I too have fallen victum of a crashing hard drive and lost years of 3d modeling efforts

not music but same thing and it sucks...

You have made some wicked tunes in the past and you will always continue to get better and better.

With my 3d model stuff....even though i lost my collection. I found that i was even able to produce better then before....

what im getting at is i bet you will only do better with your newest creations
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 09:08
Lol i think once i get over this initial "Ive lost 2 years of my musical life" things might get better...

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It means alot to me.

Tomorrow Im going to my old high school, and spending a day with all the music classes... maybe that will help

Your signature has been erased by a mod
NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Totally sorry for what happen.But the good thing is like

SMD_3D Interactive said"You have made some wicked tunes in the past and you will always continue to get better and better."
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 17:40
I just sit and listen/play [to] some classic RPG['s][music]. Games such as the Suikoden series, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, and the Final Fantasy Series, have always been an inspiration to me. Sometimes just a good jam session on a keyboard or guitar can help you get back into the groove.

Hmmm... just listening to your favorite artist can help, too. I listen to Bruce Springsteen for some inspiration.

Losing 2 years of work...ouch...

-Dan

Sorry for your loss, I guess..

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 00:15
Very sorry to hear about your loss.

The lesson to be learned is BACK UP - BACK UP - BACK UP onto MULTIPLE sources.

We have over 5 terabytes of space for our audio/visual projects and I ALWAYS backup everything we do - even when it is a huge task.

Now, as far as inspiration - it's different for everyone. I get inspired when I go see a blockbuster hit at the movies (usually the big name composers) - it always makes me want to compose.

Another good source of inspiration is NEW SOUNDS. Nothing inspires more than a new percussion instrument or sampleset with pads, vocals, brass, etc.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!
www.world-class-multimedia.com
www.hardcoreharmonics.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 07:20:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 07:20:18