Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Alias vs. anti

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 00:15
Not being particularly great artist, whether on canvas or a graphics program, I tend to use a program called POV-Ray for working out my 2D rendering. POV-Ray allows for backgrounds of solid colors, so I can use this as color keys, and it allows for alpha channel and PNG files though I'm not sure how the alpha translates through if used as an image since I have to run it through another process.

AAR, POV-Ray also allows me to control the amount of anti-aliasing, from 0 to some other number (usually 0.3). If I use anti-aliasing it comes out with much smoother appearing edges in the original, without it, the results suffer a bit from the jaggies. But unless my background in a game is the same color as the background of the original, anti-aliased images tend to leave artifacts on the edges of the object due to the blending done on the original.

So, how do y'all deal with this? Just aim for the same colored back ground? Allow the jaggies to prevail?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2008 15:50
If it exports to transparent PNG, you might be able to make it export the image with a transparency mask.

I fail at life. No, really.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2008 18:02
Quote: "If it exports to transparent PNG, you might be able to make it export the image with a transparency mask."

It will render to a .png file and, when I resize it using Irfanview, it asks if I want to maintain the alpha. But then all it does is asks if what color I want to use as transparent. What I'm afraid of is that the edge pixels won't have anti-aliased using true alpha but rather just alpha against the background color I've chosen.

I'm still trying to work out the details of what's actually produced. ITMT, I'm trying to get my program advanced more than it is.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 19:50
Use a program like Paint Shop Pro, and use the magic wand tool, with antialiasing enabled, and set the tolerance level to a small number greater than zero Then just press delete

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 06:38:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 06:38:59