Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / UFO Remake

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 18:12
Hi folks
howdy?

Well, it came a great idea to my mind just a couple months ago!How about to make something like a legendary UFO:Enemy Unknown remake??? I was very upset by that idea until I knew that I have definately no time for doing such a thing.

Anyway,d main problem was that I have no idea how to make and where to start?
Would some1 have any suggestions?Where should I have a look for some sources?

Thankx
Joseph
Super Teo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 22:32
Good Idea, UFO is great!

[url]www.gamedev.net[/url]
There are some articles about 2d isometric game engines there that could help you some.
ozzie65
Years of Service
User Offline
Try a 3d modelling program to actually make your UFO.
Anim8or [url]www.anim8or.com [/url] is good, it's free and is easy to use and you can download tutorials for it.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 11:29
I thought about this myself - because I loved the original game. Its a great idea to do and I like to see what you achieve.

How I would go about it: First I'd choose between keeping with the original isometric view or converting it to 3D. Then I'd use a 2D editing program to grab the textures from some screenshots of the game.
Then using those textures I'd start on a level designer for it...

HippyGoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 14:34
The problem I found with UFO was it was turn based, I'd want to see a real time game, rather like Syndicate was, the only downside is doing all the AI on the fly instead of each turn.

I for one would love to see a Syndicate game, 2D scrolling on DB was quite rough which always prevented me from doing full blown 2D scrollers, anyone tried it on DBPro yet?

Eddie.
Viktor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 22:26
What is wrong with turn based strategy games? The computer can use more time for AI, so the aliens are much harder to capture.
BTW: UFO-Enemy unknown is great. There is also a ZX Spectrum version (unfortunaly in russian), and it is great too.

HippyGoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 02:34
Viktor,

Nothing wrong at all with turn based strategy games, just I personally always prefer real time.

UFO was and still is a kick arse turn based game, just I think it would've kicked more arse being real time.

The only problem I have on doing 2D games on DBPro is lack of 2D scrolling support, I could probably whack something up using Memblocks, but the work involved sorta kills my enthusiasm to code 2D.

DB Team, please add some 'scroll' commands.

Eddie.
joseph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 17:27
thankz palz
yet have to think it all over.it's not an easy job to remake a whole game into 3D.yes, grabbing textures from original game would be fine but problem is that they're gonna of a low quality.it won't look very nice.it'd be so "pixel-ish" in 3d.i suppose, that it's necessary to make it look more 3d and use more colors.

well that's another chapter...

feel free to post sugestions

cheerz

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:34:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:34:25