Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / sorry but I have to say this. go ahead and lock.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello, this is my first post in this forum, as I just got my DBpro from the mail. I have been a very enthusiastic user of DB since the very beginning, the first public beta, some of you might remember my game thruster and some utilities I did, a matrix and world editor, etc.

I am very disappointed in DBpro, sorry to say.
Even the paste command in the editor isnt working (I cant paste text for gods sakes), apart from most of the examples not working and being low quality and not helpful at all. I checked the demo and thought I would get the examples of the commands to fiddle with and maybe some tutorials to get me going again, so I went ahead and bought the thing, now I'm feeling I shouldn't have.

there is huge potential in the language, but somehow nobody has tapped it yet. The team should hire a good programmer to write elaborate examples and demos, because that is what gets people psyched and going, and the true potential shows through. People might think the language is crap, just because the examples are. Language is not crap, it just shouldn't be in a store shelf.

all this, ofcourse, if the damned thing was working.

carver, I know exactly what you're saying, I had to do huge workarounds in darkbasic at the beginning, and it just killed the project and my patience.

mirthin, I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this give them a break stuff, I'm angry here, I just wasted 60 quid and even if I stuck with it, I would only get frustrated again. Been there.

damn.

aristides mytaras
athens, greece
SpellSword
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 19:45
I paid full price for DBP, And despite the fact it doesn't work worth $*&^ (Well maybe worth $*&^) I'm impressed by
the editors layout and design. If it ever does work this
things going to kick so much @$$!

Having the lines of code numbered is a huge time saver,
no more scrolling to find out where the heck I am in my
code

(*Sigh* But until it does work I'll just have to stick with
Dark Basic.)

Almost every thing has afew bugs when it gets released,
and since this thing looks so good I can afford to wait
for it to be fixed. (But it still bites that I spent all
that cash for a product that is barly
functional )

------------------------------------------
When I dream, I carry a sword in one hand,
and a gun in the other...
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 20:26
At least its better after Patch #2 - most of it is quite usable now.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 20:27
Sorry you're frustrated.

DBP has many bugs. If I may be so bold, so did Daggerfall, the best RPG until Morrowind.

Patches are coming out fast.

If you don't like DBP... too bad. But this just isn't the place to bitch about it.

--Mouse
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 21:12
on the other hand i disagree.

this is exactly the place to bitch about it (maybe use the general discussion forum, but this is fine )
Whenever ive put up a site offering services, i always put a forum on, and i like it alot better if people bitch about the service on the forum, rather than spread all over the net. Also, it helped me develop the services to the end-user's needs. I know theres abit of difference between a product and a service, but for this they are similar.

www.shockforge.com ShockForge Software
www.havochost.com Unlim bandwdith, unlim space, you.havochost.com, you.s8i.com, visit site for more details.
...::::ShockForge::::...
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 23:08
right, so the problem isn't that your post is in the wrong place, the problem is that we've heard so much bitching and whining, we... or I guess I have heard enough from the mouths of those who have given up in the first 10 minutes!!!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
RAG
Years of Service
User Offline
If there is one think that i will totally agree is that the examples really suck. no help at all. I always have to find how a command works but experimenting all the time. Now I don't mind wasting by trying crazy stuff and technics in my programming language but not trying to figure how I can use one single command.

Deuteros Ellinas pou xrisimopoiei tin Dark basic Pro Aristidi. Kouragio kai tha broume fws sto tounel

If the above look like Greek to you it's probably because they are.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2002 02:51
plz keep the name calling down guys.

aristid have u reinstalled and loaded patch2full on top of your cd install.

I had to do it once from all the patches I tested to get it to work, have u updated your drivers for your card?,last night a m8 went from 35 to 400 fps because of ancient driver issues.

http://www.lunarpixel.com/ is my new site
MiRRoRMaN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2002 13:54
Quote: "
there is huge potential in the language, but somehow nobody has tapped it yet. The team should hire a good programmer to write elaborate examples and demos, because that is what gets people psyched and going, and the true potential shows through. People might think the language is crap, just because the examples are. Language is not crap, it just shouldn't be in a store shelf.
"

Agreed, with AMOS on the Amiga this was Lee bamber himself.

www.mirrorman.cjb.net, the classic Commodore 64 and Amiga site.
Viktor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2002 17:24
Yes, AMOS was coded by Lee, but AMOS PRO had less bugs, more commands and was very fast with less limitations than DBP. But I must say, that I learn how to avoid DBP limitations with some workarounds, and every workaround is done faster than previous.. I believe, I will be a excellent Expert, after all bugs are sorted out of DBP, and I will be able to write even better applications and games than now.
This is a kind of training 4 Brainz. :lol:.

brittd
Years of Service
User Offline
I only agree with aristid on this line.
"The team should hire a good programmer to write elaborate examples and demos"

I also agree the manual looks like some shareware programs basic text manual on what keys to hit. I spend 30 minutes on every new command just to figure out what it does.
Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2002 21:58
Hi Aristid

I remember u and your thruster, and utility's.
I was with DB way back in the beginning.
Back then when every thing was new!

SeeU

Sig removed!
ElTonio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 00:55
Hi,

I hesitate on buying dbpro...
I'm basically a 2d/3d artist with basic knowledge of programming .
I usually learn quickly by exemple, but with the dbpro demo, I couldn't do quite much . I thought the full priced version would be well documented and given with loads of tutorials, but after reading all this, I think I'm gonna wait for the ver2 with a 300+ pages manual (can be dreamin' !)...
I have plenty of ideas and dbpro supposedly would allow me to realize them, but I just can't waste my time on trying to understand what a function is, and how it works .

Hope the dbpro team will do its best to make some good tutorials... 100 $/Euros is not that much for a good developement tool like seems to be dbpro, but it's quite a lot if we can hardly do something with it .

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 01:49
"Yes, AMOS was coded by Lee"

No, it wasn't. Rick Vanner was the project manager and Lee was an avid user of it, but he didn't write it. I think you'll find a couple of quite famous French guys did.

"but AMOS PRO had less bugs, more commands and was very fast with less limitations than DBP"

No, it didn't have more commands (count them, you'll see). It probably had less bugs, but on a fixed system with direct hardware access and no layer to go through (DirectX) I'm not exactly surprised at this. It was very fast? Yes, see above point - but it wasn't as fast as some other languages on the Amiga. Less limitations? Err, not really. I would say very limited unless you knew your 68000 very well and could code extensions for it.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 03:31
ElTonio: The manuel is being worked on. DB Pro JUST came out a month ago, so there hasn't been enough time for some good solid documentation. Mnay people are working on tutorials and stuff, even I am currently working on a book, which will probably be free, that will get users started with DB. Just give it time, if you want to wait that's fine, but don't judge it too harshly.

Aristid: I'm sorry you feel that way. In fact, I agree with much of what you are saying, but it seems to me like you are giving up. We all loved your games and utils, Thruster especially. I think if you stick with it you'll get the hang of it again, but I can't speak for you. But you must understand, this post is the same as about a hundred others, all about the same thing! Crap documentation. All your doing is wasting space and scaring away the noobs...
No offense intended.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
HippyGoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 04:36
Well, I know that Patch2 made a huge improvement in the stability of the demo. Now that Guy has the manuals, I'm 100% convinced to go spend some money, and may even splash for the DBDN as well.

DBPro has some bugs, and free patches have been supplied by the developers, and I'm certain more will be following.
Those users who wanted a completely bug free application at first release, all I can say is 'dream on'. I can't think of any development language without patches or bugs, even those hard coded BASICs of 8bit days had bugs, upto and including bugs at chip level.

Yes you paid for the language, and bugs were found, patches were released amazingly quick.

Developing a language is ten (if not more) times harder than developing a game.

I for one, appreciate all the work done by the DB team in developing code and issuing patches, and those programmers who worked so hard in indentifying bugs, and innovative workarounds. Nice one chaps!

Eddie.
gbuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 06:18
Any sort of programming is not easy and DBPro is a huge step in the right direction. After a long wait at least we have something to work with now and with improvements it will only get more user friendly.
When you consider that any new PC comes with some sort of 3D graphics card and that the speed of computers is increasing so rapidly, DirectX 8.1 and beyond technology will soon be commonplace and the DB Team are well placed to keep us up to speed.
The problem is that Microsoft who dictate much of the direction we take, are in danger of losing the plot and if they don't come up with some enlightened direction soon.. CyberWorld will become fragmented and developers will really have something to complain about..

gbuilder.

Life is a game.
AMD900mhz,256mb Ram,64mb Shared SiS Video.
Nikkoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 10:25
Didnt Lee just hired by Europress to make some Amos help examples?
ElTonio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 10:41
rapscaLLion, I hope I didn't look like being harsh with dbpro . I don't care about bugs if I know they'll be fixed by patches . I just don't want to feel frustrated with spending my money on something I can hardly use .
I'll just wait for the manual/good tutorials/your book before buying . Hope I won't get bored waiting too long

Viktor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 11:53
@Rich: Back to AMOS. I have now the manual in front of me, and yes, you ´re partly right. But about the commands: I do not count the 3D commands, there are many of them, I agree, but what about the other usable commands like for accesing the hardware I/O (Parallel/Serial ports in AMOS PRO), File requester, Polygon and Polyline, Paint (Fill), Clip (okay, I personaly did not need this), Set Line, Set Paint, Set Pattern, Hslider, Vslider, Setslider, Def Scroll, Scroll, Flash, Mouse Zone.
You see, 2D graphic was not the weak point of AMOS (or STOS).
But Dark Basic Pro is not AMOS, it has his strong, and weak points. Just look at the media player for AVI. If I play a longer DivX video, it starts, freezes for few seconds (sound still playing), and then it plays a little jerky.
I saw the AVI player from PureBasic: it plays the video softly... I´m missing also commands to read part of file to Memblock (if it was not a memblock while writing), and NEXT FRAME while Animation is in pause mode, to display next frame.
If I compare Dark Basic and DBP, DB had also many bugs in early versions before 1.06, so I give DBP also a chance and will wait for next patches. Give Lee a little break, he needs it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 12:26
AMOS never had bugs... it had obsticals - like DB Standard/Enhanced/Proffesional
Can't do something it was an obstacle to overcome, trust me comming from AMOS Pro + AMOS3D background - you have to look at it that way or you'd go insane with the bitchin'

good point though AMOS pro just gave deeper power rather than any inherinent updates - kinda like the difference between DBstd & DBpro ... same functions more raw power, deeper access nothing really different (as long as you forget about the compiler thing )

anyone else use AMOS3D? god i loved that

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
aristid
Years of Service
User Offline
quote:
Aristid: I'm sorry you feel that way. In fact, I agree with much of what you are saying, but it seems to me like you are giving up. We all loved your games and utils, Thruster especially. I think if you stick with it you'll get the hang of it again, but I can't speak for you. But you must understand, this post is the same as about a hundred others, all about the same thing! Crap documentation. All your doing is wasting space and scaring away the noobs...
No offense intended.

hello alex, nice to hear from you again.

I don't think my post is a waste of space, any more than DBpro was a waste of my money at its current state. I believe I am entitled to a negative post after paying up and not getting what I should. I dont have the patience to be hugely frustrated all over again as I was when DB first started, I already did it once, my choice then, as it is now. I was hoping that by now, it would be steady, but it seems to be sloppily done.
If my post is the same as a hundred others, there's obviously something seriously wrong with the product. And my post is not just about crap documentation, its also about ridiculous bugs all over the place wasting so much energy and time that I'd rather be doing something else.
I will be checking the updates since I have bought the language, but, yes, I am quitting it for a while.

no offence taken, ofcourse.
aristides

on another note, I was also an AMOS user, had a wonderful time with it!

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 14:30
Your right, nothing is a waste. I guess I am just tired of the same old moaning. And there haven't been 100 posts about this, but everytime something happens, people blame it on the docs. Thats all we hear about. I'm sorry to hear that your quitting, I'm sure you could have inspired us all a second time, just don't forget about us

Good luck

rapscaLLion
Alex Wanuch

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
With AMOS Pro I was really annoyed that for a 'professional' language you were expected to fork out extra money for a compiler. So I stopped using AMOS and taught myself 68000 assembler instead, which was surprisingly easy (the Amiga`s custom Chips were great fun!).
With all the problems that have cropped up in DBPro I have been thinking maybe its time to look at 3D coding in C++ again? Bet its more difficult than Hardware coding in 68000 on the Amiga though
Nikkoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 18:32
Didnt you love the copper? =)
-N
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 19:22
well it was just a simple compiler swap if you already had the original ... however assembler on the Amiga was quite nice - Elite2 used a combination of AMOS and Assembly, seemed quite powerful to me

anyone notice that there aren't a great deal of bad things said about AMOS ... kinda miss the old girl

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
flanque
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 02:10
DarkBasic Pro seems to be getting @r$e raped because of bugs and so forth. Being a professional developer myself I can understand how bugs can get through the net, however from what I've seen on the forums there are many issues that one could imagine would have been detected during QA testing.

That being said, I can understand the desire to push it out as quickly as possible to calm the I want it now mentality, however whilst understanding that the quality of the product should not be undermined by consumer demand.

Imagine if the software in your microwave had bugs through it and burnt the phuk out of your food, or if your TV just change channels all by itself when you pressed the volume button. Would you accept that? Why is it that there is this mentality of we'll just release a patch to fix problems? It certainly seems as though, given the number and frequency of patches that DBP has fallen to the pressures of consumer demands, and unfortunately it's suffering for it.

:: Specs: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz), 256MB PC133 SDRAM, Leadtek Geforce 2MX SH 64MB, SB-Live!, LG SWrks 775N 17", MS Natural Pro KB, MS Optical Mouse, Windows 2000 Pro (SP3), DirectX 8.1 ::
MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 11:59
If I remember correctly, AMOS was written by Francois Lionet ... he also wrote the compiler ... AMOS 3D extension (which was painfully slow!) was contracted to a different firm.

- Rav.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 18:43
Viktor: "Back to AMOS. I have now the manual in front of me, and yes, you ´re partly right. But about the commands: I do not count the 3D commands"

DB is primarily for making 3D games though - you cannot discount over 50% of the command set just because AMOS didn't have it

I will let you discount the non-essential commands (ones that just return values as opposed to perform actions).

"cable commands like for accesing the hardware I/O (Parallel/Serial ports in AMOS PRO)"

I agree this would be marginally useful in DBPro, but times have changed now and really how often do you need to access the parallel or serial ports? On a PC there isn't even a way to be 100% sure those ports even exist! See how the Amiga was SO different? Very fixed, closed, contained environment. You knew exactly what you had, what speed it ran at and what each chip did. Times have changed.

"Polygon and Polyline, Paint (Fill), Clip (okay, I personaly did not need this), Set Line, Set Paint, Set Pattern, Hslider, Vslider, Setslider, Def Scroll, Scroll, Flash, Mouse Zone."

Mouse zone would be quite cool, but not really hard to write All the 2D graphics operations though I feel are a little out-dated now. I'm not saying we don't need them, but they're much lower in importance.

"You see, 2D graphic was not the weak point of AMOS (or STOS)."

I've got to disagree with this - the amount of 2D commands was not weak, but the SPEED was extremely poor. On the ST some of the top games like Enchanted Lands or Lethal XCess (or even some Ocean factory-line assembled dumps like Robocop or Total Recall) - none of those games could be re-created in STOS without the use of machine code extensions. I personally guarantee it! For AMOS it was quite similar although it was more powerful than STOS - but even so some of the awesome Amiga games just could not be written in AMOS - it simply wasn't fast enough, the core functions themselves took up too much CPU time and the poor sprite handling ate up most of the rest. Use machine code and all your worries vanished though. I'm not just guessing this, I do remember it very well from the time - I know what 68000 coders really thought of programs like STOS and AMOS they were quite an arrogant bunch I agree (akin to Blitz users today) but fundamentally, they were right.

AMOS and STOS were ideal at getting people into programming though - people who otherwise would never have had the chance, people who were perhaps too young to grasp the complexity of 68000. They gave hope to thousands and people embraced those two programs and made them do amazing things, no doubts about it. You obviously loved it! I used to love coding in STOS too and for that reason I have fond fond memories of both languages.

But please keep those memories in check and don't forget that they were not actually quite as amazing as you might think they were!

Raven: "anyone notice that there aren't a great deal of bad things said about AMOS"

Really? That's not how I remember it! At the time AMOS (and STOS) were the laughing joke of programmers. Sure they allowed people to write games and demos (etc) but they were so slowed compared to (insert any other language here) that all the time real programmers would take the piss out of AMOS! Sometimes AMOS games were SO noticeable a mile away, you'd see the juttery sprites or recognise the mouse pointers or sounds. It was a wonderful grounding and for those who did really put hard work into it you could create some good things - but rarely without extensions of one kind of another. I remember STOS well and it was only really of any use when some machine code extensions came out that totally replaced the sprite, animation and music commands

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Lee Bamber
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to see you go Aristid. Your support has been splendid and very much appreciated. I know what you mean about doing it all over again. Alas we had to write DBPro from scratch and our path was unavoidably strewn with new obstacles. Anyhoo, have fun and pop back in from time to time - you might be surprised

Rylex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 10:15
I myself would be very surprised to see MOD-support again. I know I told you long before and a lot of time, but MOD is definitly required for SMALL-sized games. Not everybody has a fast internet connection
And I still think MOD sounds great!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:49:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:49:28