Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBP] Top Down Tank

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Was daydreaming of some sort of cool looking top down shooter/tank game at work today, so I got home and knocked up this little demo.

Hoping to develop into a full scale arcadey tank adventure with weapon and armour upgrades and masses of beautiful destruction.

Any comments on ease of use etc? And the code is of course free to use in your own projects.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 01:11
Looks quite good, and the "ease of use" is existing. This tank looks really great; Hopefully we'll see this project as WIP someday.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 16:19 Edited at: 31st Jul 2008 16:43
Awesome I like the tank which was quite easy to use. The tank tracks, recoil and camera shake were all great as well.

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
I've developed a bullet system, and a similar particle system is on its way. Will post an update when its ready.
Anti Human
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 19:28
umm. i do like the work. but i noticed a couple things. just consider this a free beta test to tell you things you either already knew or would have figured out on your own.

might need to have the tracks disappear after so long. made a double circle that was almost solid white, then made some little curvy patterns. then started using the tracks to spell out 'I HATE PEOPLE'
didn't actually get to people, got bored so i drove back over what i had wrote and all my pretty patterns, the FPS dropped like my chances with a sober chic: faster then the iraqi airforce.

(low was 21) (the FPS not my chances)

also noticed (not sure it's by design) that when the tank stopped moving, the turret did a giggle.

still have fun with it and there wasn't even anything to shoot. gonna keep a eye on this, if it's fun enough i might just quit trying to code and start amusing myself with the games of others.

Today is a good day, at least compared to tomorrow.
And every day is a good day to die, because then, there is no tomorrow
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 23:47
That's cool. Has a nice solid arcadey feel. Makes me want to get back to making tank games.

Obviously you'll have to limit the number of treadmarks by recycling them, or something, like the other chap said, but i guess you know this already. Back in the day in my tank thing, instead of objects for treadmarks, i painted them onto the ground texture, which worked pretty well - didn't even need to use memblocks or anything, which would make it even faster. Yet another thing to think about.

Anyway, this could be really sweet. Tanks are cool, and there aren't really enough games with tanks in.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, the tracks will fade away and be re-used/deleted in my next revision. Gonna develop a particle system to cover this and other cool stuff (explosions anyone?).

I assume the little 'giggle' that AntiHuman was talking about is simply that the body and turret of the tank lag behind the movement of the tracks. This is by design, to give the tank a more kinetic feel, to make it feel like it has a bit more momentum, and to look more cool than a static tank.

Thanks for the comments guys. Will hopefully get to work on developing this. I have a lot of ideas, although I have just bought a PS3 with GTAIV, so I can see a lot of time sinking into that instead!
Draglan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 08:58 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 09:01
I like this. Like Sixty Squares said, I like the camera shaking and recoil a lot.

Can't wait for the particle system and such.

EDIT: Not relevant to the demo, however I posted this message at the same time you edited your post saying thanks for the comments and stuff.

Either that or I missed that... maybe I'm... blind.

You feelin' lucky punk? YOU FEELIN' LUCKY?
hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 16:19 Edited at: 13th Aug 2008 16:20
I've now started a WIP on the tank project. Got a demo with graphics up too;

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=135073&b=8

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-23 15:12:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-23 15:12:03