Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / What do you think of this texture?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 00:58 Edited at: 16th Sep 2008 17:02
lock me

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 01:22
Rate it based on what? Realism? 1/10, I've never seen a crate made from stone, the weathering on the green stone at the back is very unrealistic for a crate, but I assume you just used 2 stone photo textures in this so I can't really comment on this. The border looks far too blurred, shouldn't it be quite crisp for stone? Or is that metal? Also the shading isn't bad but these days most games use normal maps or other techniques to simulate more complex lighting on basic surfaces so you shouldn't shade a texture too much else it'll look incorrect with it.

Lastly, why mention it took 10mins? :/

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 02:25
Quote: "Lastly, why mention it took 10mins? :/"

Cuz he thinks it'll excuse him from any problems with it. Seriously, if a texture/model only took ten minutes, don't even post it here for crit as it's either extremely simple or not very good.

90% of statistics are completely inaccurate.
Haven Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 17:59
Quote: "Rate it based on what? Realism? 1/10, I've never seen a crate made from stone, the weathering on the green stone at the back is very unrealistic for a crate, but I assume you just used 2 stone photo textures in this so I can't really comment on this. The border looks far too blurred, shouldn't it be quite crisp for stone? Or is that metal? Also the shading isn't bad but these days most games use normal maps or other techniques to simulate more complex lighting on basic surfaces so you shouldn't shade a texture too much else it'll look incorrect with it.

Lastly, why mention it took 10mins? :/"

Thank you for that productive comment don't you have something better to do then insult me?

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thank you for that productive comment don't you have something better to do then insult me?"

Why does people get C&C confused with Insults. What Dark Coder posted is very constructive and he critised on basic elements, not a insult.

"Your greatest teacher is your harshest critic"-Butterfingers
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 03:31
...no insult included with that C&C.

The texture is indeed rather uninteresting, unrealistic, and is very 2D in its appearance.

Punch up the contrast. Add some depth of field. Include grunge, and it will help it tremendously...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 10:05
Unleashed, don't post a texture asking for crit then complain when it doesn't please you. Without meaning to offend you, but that and the fact that you spent ten minutes on it then added a watermark just comes off as arrogant. You should be prepared for some harsh criticisms but that's what can end up making you improve. It's a vital part of self-teaching that you have to accept.

If everyone was telling you it's great then what exactly could you possibly hope to learn from it?.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Haven Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 17:02
true sorry dudes you can lock this mods

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 18:15
I don't think there's a need to lock it Unleashed, this is all just honest criticism - Why not try some different things with the texture and let us see what your doing. Once people know that your listening they can give more feedback and suggest some techniques etc.

People have posted here because they think you can step it up and make better textures is all - your work is actually better than a lot of the textures we see, it's a lot more worrying when nobody replies to threads like these.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 19:31:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 19:31:23