Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Application License Requirments ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Our company is looking at Dark Basic Pro to develop a location based entertainment title. I need data on license fees and or requirements to distribute Dark Basic Pro applications.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Christian.
Omega Online
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 19:17
Last time I checked
whatever you make with DBP is royalty free and no licenses.

If you make a game with DBP you keep all the money.

I hope that answers your question.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 22:55
No licensing fees.
No requirments.
No catches.

UNLESS
You are using Quake BSPs or MP3s

There are licensing issues outside of DBS's controls on:
-Quake/HalfLife BSPS, or any BSP map compilled with iD software's compiler. Solution? Use DB's built in BSP format.
-The company who owns the patent on MP3 files require licensing fees for commercial programs that sell over a certain number of titles.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Viktor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2002 00:12
Was the MP3 licensing not a fake? I readed a disclaimer about it as a fake on a german computer news page.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2002 01:15
hmm... not sure about the MP3 be something to look into - but then again technically JPG format you require a licence for, not sure how many have been following the court case about the company who developed it.
However its too little to late on thier part cause they can't sue everyone and it would make unfair bias to just sue a few companies

There used to be a Licence setup of £1,000 per titles, however that was dropped before release - not sure why because from what i understood it was only for programs that were to be commercially exploited, however the actual determination would be a very broad definition wouldn't it?

Pro itself now is completely free to commercially use, no strings like source sharing or such - however if you use external data forms suchas Quake's BSP, MD3, or DivX or alike then please read up on thier useage licence
mainly because if you come crying to DBS about it then there is little they can do cause it isn't included in the DBpro licence

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 14:35
Yup all the above is true - anything you make with DBPro is 100% license-free and may be sold commercially with no financial requirement from DBS. Infact we'd love to see something finally hit the commercial market written in it. As for licenses for external media (BSPs, MP3s, etc) - that is out of our control, whatever you use must be royalty free or paid for but any publisher would advise you in these areas.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Felon Marmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Is DBPro .OGG file compataible? That's like MP3 but royalty free. If not, any chance of making it .OGG compatible?

xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 15:59
I think I heard someone say you can play .ogg files with the music commands. Haven't tried it myself though.
Dreamora
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 19:16
mp3 fee -> use .ogg as some said, its free, even UT2003 use it

bsp compiler: zoner compiler tools can compile bsp too, so you can use normal map editors and change the compiler ... Quark is one of them

pic formats: i think there the best chose is ddp, its the DX pic format, free of fees and every other format will have to be runtimeconverted in this format anyway

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:00:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:00:07